Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 AM

Default F&W Road Block

Highway 1 at Gleshen, West bound. We had everything in order, asked whos deer, I said my son Ricky. Goes directly to my son and asked him "what zone?". Son replies the right answer. Officer says "first deer", son says "nope third". Officer checks tags, licence, species, "your on your way". As we're pulling away son says "Man that felt good". I couldn't have agreed more! The officers showed total respect, exactly what I would expect to law abiding citizens. Re-enforced the message they been tought, ethics
Quodos to the boys at F&W.
Nemo.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:55 AM

Nice to hear positive eperiences with F&W, also nice to hear the check stops are up and hopefully weeding out the poachers from our midst.

Congrats to your lad as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 AM

Good to hear. Nice to see a good encounter with F&W, seems we are hearing a lot about negative encounters this year, so always good to see this. Enjoy you kills
Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 AM

I've been hunting for 30 days in southern Ab. from the B.C. boarder to the Sask. boarder. I still havent seen F&W officer.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Met up with one yesterday in 108. He was courteous and respectful. While going through our tags we learn that my buddy misplaced the printed license to go with one of his tags. He received a written warning. This was likely as much of a help to my buddy, just in case we got stopped by another CO on the same day. Not really a problem, but I hope that doesn't create a black mark on his hunting records.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Is it just me, or does F&W seem to be depending more and more on these large checkstops rather than actually having officers in the field on patrol? (I was through one on Hwy 1 west just before Chestermere a few weekends ago, and heard of one at Welling in 108 last week. My experience with the two F&W officers was positive also.)

It's been at least a few years since I've been stopped in the field for a license check, but I've been through a couple large checkstops on major highways in that same time. I wonder if this is a change in their strategy, or maybe because of budget cuts?

Last edited by Scott N; 11-20-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Is it just me, or does F&W seem to be depending more and more on these large checkstops rather than actually having officers in the field on patrol? (I was through one on Hwy 1 west just before Chestermere a few weekends ago, and heard of one at Welling in 108 last week. My experience with the two F7W officers was positive also.)

It's been at least a few years since I've been stopped in the field for a license check, but I've been through a couple large checkstops on major highways in that same time. I wonder if this is a change in their strategy, or maybe because of budget cuts?
This year I've seen more of a presence in the field than ever before. This is in the Hinton area. They actually set up the mechanical deer north of Hinton as well!!
Sounds like they cut down on hunter numbers ( at least the ''one gun'' hunters) as a fella I know seen their batch of guns they seized for that day.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
hunter49

ummm...maybe next time your stopped wait a few days to let everybody know where the checkstop is. You might have just tipped off a poacher.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
ummm...maybe next time your stopped wait a few days to let everybody know where the checkstop is. You might have just tipped off a poacher.
When the OP was posted, at 1:49 AM, there shouldn't have been anyone on their way home with game.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
When the OP was posted, at 1:49 AM, there shouldn't have been anyone on their way home with game.
Thanks for noticing the time I'm sure F&W were long gone by the time of the post. I wasn't in anyway trying to tip anyone off, I was commenting on their integrity. "Good God man", do you think Poachers are monitoring the AO Forum for tips.

Last edited by nemo; 11-20-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: smiles not showing
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

I don't think the heavy duty expert poachers have to worry about a game check.

They have to keep their eyes out for the undercover officers who don't ever seem to go to sleep.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
How do some people think? I was singing their praises.
The road block was at 8 pm. Do they really stay out that late on the side of the highway?
How would I have ever known!
Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
And he would be on this forum while driving? A poacher would have been texted or telephoned about check stop locations long before reading about it on computer! Think it through dude or dudette!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
How do some people think? I was singing their praises.
The road block was at 8 pm. Do they really stay out that late on the side of the highway?
How would I have ever known!
Nemo...don't take it personally when someone tries to rain on your parade here.

I am glad you had a good experience with the F&W folks. All of mine have been as well.

LC
Old 11-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nemo...don't take it personally when someone tries to rain on your parade here.

I am glad you had a good experience with the F&W folks. All of mine have been as well.

LC
Thanks Lefty, but truly my feelin's aren't hurt!!