Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Default cayo coco anyone?

i need a partner for a last min trip to cuba. will be staying at the tryp cayo coco. a few of my buddies are undecided about going, so i had to put a post on here to troll for a partner. anyone interested? trip is around $1400 taxes in, and the guide rate is $250/day for two people. the flats are walking distance from this resort. this will be a flyfishing trip, im not sure if you could catch bonefish on gear. anyway, pm me if interested.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

I may be interested. Which dates? Also, are you leaving from Edmonton or Calgary?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Ive already booked myself in for last weekend of March same resort and have gotten my fly fishing guide booked. Do you know what weekend your thinking??

Also, I heard rumors about sunwing going on strike.. does anyone know anything about this? Just a heads up anyways.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM

Sounds like a good time to be had, great price too. I have head that bones are actually easier with spinning gear. I do want to try Cayo's fishing at some point, just bad timing for myself
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Smile

Cayo Coco is a great place to stay and fish. My wife and I stayed at the Melia Cayo Coco a few years ago. It was fantastic. If your going to fly fish for the bones then I would recommend an 8wt rod. They are big down there. Plus you may get into some permit or tarpin.

As for flies I would say to use bead chain flies for bones. I have fished for bones several times at several locations throughout the Caribean and they act all the same. It is like fishing for wild cats. If you use lead barbell eyes on your flies they will have a bigger splash and you will scare away the bones. The bead chain will make less of a splash and in the end you will catch more fish.

Wish I could go. But if I went without my wife she would soon be my ex.

Have a great time. It is a fantastic place.

Some people say the food is bland. I found there is always something for everyone over there. Bring a bottle of Franks hot sauce. Or a bottle of crushed peppers. That'll spice up your food.

Rob
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I have head that bones are actually easier with spinning gear.
True, if:

1) You consider that likely 75% of fly anglers do not have the fly casting skills necessary to deliver the fly accurately and quickly while coping with the ever present wind on the flats ,,,, and

2) You use bait such as a live crab or shrimp on your spin gear in a chum slick created by your guide!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:26 PM

I am heading down to Cayo coco this weekend. So the fishing is good you say? I will have to try some. Any more tips or suggestions would be helpful.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
True, if:

1) You consider that likely 75% of fly anglers do not have the fly casting skills necessary to deliver the fly accurately and quickly while coping with the ever present wind on the flats ,,,, and

2) You use bait such as a live crab or shrimp on your spin gear in a chum slick created by your guide!
I am surprised they would chum for bonefish. I thought they used jigs?
Never seen either before though, learned something new.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM

my buddy came to his senses and is gonna go with me. I have done a fair bit of flats fishing all with fly. I have 0% interest in using spinning gear for any flats fish but im looking for any suggestions for tackle for my buddy. he has never fly fished before and its not likely a guide would have the time or interest in teaching him in the limited time I have down there. so, I guess the lny way to keep my buddy engaged in the fishing is chucking gear. ive got good 4 piece travel spinning gear for him but I need info on tackle, any ideas?