Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Default What are these in my perch

Caught some perch on Friday. Out of 13 one was completely infested and two more had a couple in each one. What are they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B8BCDE9-01AC-4723-BAE9-9BFD94FB620C.jpg (26.5 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg B4EE3C97-C515-4B12-BA33-BA8B27A2F48D.jpg (19.0 KB, 562 views)
Old 03-17-2019, 12:46 PM

This would be my guess, it is relatively common I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinostomum_marginatum
Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 PM

A parasite of some sort...
don't recall what there called but when you eat them its like you didn't rinse the sand off the filets before you cooked them.
Usually found in lakes that have good perch because of it...
Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 AM

I have seen similar cysts in perch at Bakers Narrows in northern Manitoba, but they were black, hence being called black spot. In nearly my 60 years of perch fishing I have never seen these Trematodes in Alberta. Kind of alarming, I think with more and more people fishing out of province it's pretty easy for this parasite to travel here since the 2nd host of this parasite are snails, easily attaching themselves to boats. I have also heard that some trout in Chain lake (north) have had these. I know people a lot of times do not like to disclose info about their fishing spots, but I think more fishermen should be aware, if you don't want to, perhaps give us a idea of the area in Alberta.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 AM

I have seen some strange things on fish over the years. Baptiste has a sponge like parasite which occurs on older perch and walleye. I have seen black spot on the Trout out of Chain by Athabasca. I have seen worms in whitefish as well.

Can you tell us did you cut the gut open first before cutting the the fillet off the backbone?

It looks like you contaminated what was in the guts, on the fillet. It does not appear to be IN the fillet.

My guess is you may have some of the eggs on the fillet, as that is about the same colour and appearance: Perch eggs. But the only way to rule that out is to know how you filleted the fish to ensure you did not contaminate the fillet.

Either way, rinse and cook well, which is easy with perch.

By the way, is this the normal way you fillet a perch by removing from the spine the fillet? If it is, there is an easier way and i like to share what i learned over the years.

Don't cut the skin off the backbone completely. Leave it attached, and simply use the backbone and tail to hold the skin for skinning the fillet.

Peel out the ribs first from the fillet before cutting out the lateral bones (a small slice on either side of the very visible lateral bones), then run the knife flat against the skin to release the fillet. The V of bones will separate out, and you will have a much easier time getting a good grip on the skin and a
better looking fillet.

Drewski
Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdg View Post
I have seen similar cysts in perch at Bakers Narrows in northern Manitoba, but they were black, hence being called black spot. In nearly my 60 years of perch fishing I have never seen these Trematodes in Alberta. Kind of alarming, I think with more and more people fishing out of province it's pretty easy for this parasite to travel here since the 2nd host of this parasite are snails, easily attaching themselves to boats. I have also heard that some trout in Chain lake (north) have had these. I know people a lot of times do not like to disclose info about their fishing spots, but I think more fishermen should be aware, if you don't want to, perhaps give us a idea of the area in Alberta.
The black spots you refer to above are very hard black spots that are imbedded in the skin of the rainbows at Chain lakes. I have fished this lake many times and the rainbows have had those spots on them for about the last 12 years. I have stopped fishing there.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Default Yellow grub

These are definitely not eggs on the flesh. It is an oval ball embedded in the flesh itself about the size of a grain of rice. From what I’ve read I think it is ‘yellow grub’. These were caught in Lakeland pp and out of 26 perch 5 had it. 2 of them were so full we threw them out and 3 of the perch we cut out the grub. Just 2 or 3 in each one.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 PM

Default Parasite.

I would say Chief16 is correct a parasite in fish that is similar to the parasite that causes rice breast in ducks.