Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Default Shopping for boat

Well these past 2 weeks I have been scouring the ads, phoning dealerships etc about fishing boats. Prices vary greatly as do what you get with the boat.
I was looking for a 14 to 16 foot fishing boat with livewell, running lights, wider beam (70 inch plus), storage and trolling motor. HP of main motor was not that big of an issue as long as it was not severely underpowered.

First off it sure pays to phone around. Not only for prices but gives you an idea of which dealership wants to talk turkey. Some would say here, let me price that out for you and get back to you only to never return the call so they were automatically removed from contention.

Secondly, there were a lot of good prices, but you had to buy all the extras seperately (life jackets, docking ropes, trolling motor batteries etc) where as one dealer included this stuff.

Thirdly, and least important, was the make of the boat. I had in my mind sort of what I call the cadillacs of aluminum boats (Lund, Crestliner, Princecraft) and was hoping for one of them. Were some decent deals on Smokercraft and Sylvans but I have no experience with them nor do I know anyone who owns one. Legend boats I checked into, but by the time you added in the extras their price was the same or a bit higher than everyone else's. I am by no means saying any of these boats are lower in quality, just I have experience with the first 3 brands.

What I settled on was a 2008 Crestliner Fishhawk 1600 SC. Price was very good in my mind and the dealership (Free Spirit Marine) were very easy to deal with and included in their price is everything you need to go boating less an anchor. The boat from them comes with the trolling motor battery, 4 life jackets, docking ropes, bumpers for the side of the boat when docked, trailer with spare tire(some dealerhships do not give you a spare tire) fold away tongue on the trailer, free mooring cover, trailer guides and transom tie downs. Plus the bonus was that the boat package I bought is $2000 less than last years price due to the high Canadian dollar. Salesman told me last year, they sold 110 of these packages.

Here is a pic of the boat I bought.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

Looks like a dandy john,, hope you enjoy it bud.. Looks like a good lay out with ample room for fishing...
Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM

sweet ride John. The walleyes better look out
Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Good looking boat. If you were in Calgary you would have had 10X the headaches. I was in the same situation last year looking at 14' models like yours and my measly $17,000.00 budget did not mean #$%& to any of the dealers. I did all the shopping on the Internet and gave them the exact details and options I wanted. No one would return my calls with a quote. I had to go to Red Deer to buy my boat and they were the "FOURTH" dealership I called for a quote. Now I get to spend my first full season on the water with my Alumacraft boat.

Now that I have vented I spent my day greasing the trailer bearings and organizing my boat for the spring and I have an Auto Pilot on the way for my Minn Kota. Spring can't get here soon enough. Have a great season on the water and I'm sure there will be a few sleepless nights coming up waiting to try out your new boat.

Dodger.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 PM
KyleM

Thats for sure!
Prepare to lose major sleep waiting for spring

Beauty boat, Crestliner is top of the line in my opinion.
Lunds are nice boats aswell but I just love the interior and layouts
of the crestliners.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM

dodger, my budget was up to $18000 and am glad to say this boat fully rigged out cost only $13555. Thot that was a heck of a deal based on what most of the other palces wanted for a similar boat. And it came with the wireless MotorGuide trolling motor to boot.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the Crestliner club.
You picked the right pace to buy from .IMO
Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM

Hello. Which engine did you go with for that price?
I too have been searching for a boat for a while now and may have to phone Free Spirit Marine.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Congrats on the new purchase. The FH is a really nice rig, my buddy has the same model, very comfortable to fish out of. I just started shopping around, also had the same experience, Free Spirit is on my list. I'm also wondering which motor you went with?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 PM

In the package the boat comes with a 50hp 2 stroke Merc with direct oil injection. To go up to a 75 hp Merc Optimax it is another $2800. Believe the 60 HP 4 stroke was around a $2000 upgrade but don't quote me on that. I would have went with the 75 hp Optimax but unfortunately I have a major bill to pay Tuesday so stayed with the 50 hp motor for now. Can upgrade next year. Also I went with the painted trailer, galvanized trailer is a $200 upgrade. And as luck would have it, I bought the last 1600 SC in stock but he is ordering more. I dealt with Thane there, very pleasant to deal with, told him my budget and he over the phone went thru Crestliner's website telling me what boats fit in it and what came with them in the package. Stopped by the next day, remembered talking to me right away as he said the two boats I was interested in, one was in the display room and one outside in the shop. Showed me lots of stuff. They also look after getting your boat registered, putting the numbers on it and sending the info to your insurance agent.

Last edited by JohninAB; 03-02-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Don't mean to stick my nose in john but,, if you possibly can go for the extra 25hp.. It may be tough to do now but you will be glad you did,, trust me.. You can never have to much power,, any power gets old fast.. I would not expect to get any more than 30mph out of a 50 and slow hole shot.. I know that it doesn't sound like you care now but you will !!! if at all possible go for the 75 you will thank yourself later..
Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Hey John- congrats on the new boat! In reading your post, I was wondering if you checked out Tracker boats, and what you thought. We've been going through the same process, and are down to Tracker, Crestliner, or Princecraft.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Never checked into Tracker boats.

Walleyes, know what you mean and yes the boat will be a 30 mph boat. Will have to do for this year.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
KyleM

Id hold off on the new trackers.
I believe some models have that new molded aluminum hull.
New changes in hulls scare me a little especially with Trackers
history.

John, I dont think youd have a problem selling that motor or trading it in after next year.
I personally prefer the smaller motor, much nicer to troll with.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Never checked into Tracker boats.

Walleyes, know what you mean and yes the boat will be a 30 mph boat. Will have to do for this year.
You will enjoy that boat either way john,, it is a sweet ride..

If you are going to wait a year to buy the 75,, do it rite and throw a 90 on that girl,, that would be nice !!! You would get 40 out of er then and don't worry about trolling you already said you are putting on an electric trolling motor.. And if you troll to much for that throw a 6hp gas troller on er,, it never ends now buddy !! welcome to the world of the boat owner...

Mine started out at $38,000.00 and ended up at $52,000.00,, but its done....
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM

X2 on what Walleyes said. The boat I mentioned had a 90hp Merc 4stk on it, and if I'm not mistaken ran around 40 mph w/3 guys gear etc. We fished hard for 4 days and averaged $15/day in fuel.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 PM

Unfortunately a lot of the boat stores will not sell you a boat and motor if the motor you want on it is over the rating for the boat. Insurance companies refuse to insure boats when higher than rated hp motors are on them.

Walleyes have owned boats most of my life and know all about the dollar pits they can become! LOL
Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM

where is free spirit marine?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:08 PM

In Edmonton. 99th street and 65th Avenue.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Banned

Just curious if any of you have been looking in the USA?

When I bought my boat in the fall, the price differences were incredible. I would have been crazy NOT to buy down there.

I'm just curious as to whether the gap has been closed with all the "Canadian pricing" deals they're offering.

Waxy
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
KyleM

It still continues to and always will be cheaper in the South.

Most boats are now being produced in the US.

Even Lund has moved South of the boarder, its no longer Canadian!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM

The wife and I love our Crestliner we bought last year. The jury is still out on Free Spirit Marine though. I'm sure you'll get many weekends of great fun as we do.
Good fishing.
Doug