Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Walleye size increase

Was talking to F&W a few weekends back about walleye limits at Fawcett lake and sounds like it's on the increase. for the 2008/09 season looks like the new limits are going to be 2 walleye over 50cm.

Funny back in the day when limits where 3 over 16 inches most of the walleyes where 15 7/8" then they bumped them to 2 over 17" and now most the the walleye I have been catching are 16 7/8". They sure know when to stop growing. This up and coming season if it is true that the limits are 2 over 50 cm the walleye will grow again to 49cm.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Sure would be nice to see some increases for a change.. Yah I know what you mean about the size thing,, it never fails does it...
Old 03-04-2008, 04:32 PM

Default re. size increase

When will Alberta regs begin to protect the larger spawning fish and allow fisherman a few smaller ones for the pan? It seems this type of system works well in Manitoba lakes where I see more fisherman out catching and keeping fish than you see fisherman catch and releasing in Alberta. We have had walleye lakes no keep for over ten years and while this did allow populations to recover my personal observations have been that the improvement seems to plateau. Minimum size limits seem to just ensure we remove the prime breeders and possibly damage the populations genetic ability to produce big fish.
I always hear about Alberta's lack of fishable water compared to Saskatchewan and Manitoba but I know that southwestern Manitoba has lakes spread out about the same as the Edmonton area and these lakes get relatively heavy fishing pressure which the government balances by maintaining yearly walleye stocking-something the Alberta government says they aren't sure works-even after they created a great trophy walleye fishery at Pigeon Lake through stocking and have established solid reservoir walleye populations through stocking.
Its time to stop ignoring the resource and put some money into creating and maintaining good fisheries. Stocking, regulations, and enforcement could enable Albertans to have a vastly improved fishing resource. Spending money short term can have long term economic and environmental payoffs.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Angry Totally!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2bout View Post
When will Alberta regs begin to protect the larger spawning fish and allow fisherman a few smaller ones for the pan? It seems this type of system works well in Manitoba lakes where I see more fisherman out catching and keeping fish than you see fisherman catch and releasing in Alberta. We have had walleye lakes no keep for over ten years and while this did allow populations to recover my personal observations have been that the improvement seems to plateau. Minimum size limits seem to just ensure we remove the prime breeders and possibly damage the populations genetic ability to produce big fish.
I always hear about Alberta's lack of fish able water compared to Saskatchewan and Manitoba but I know that southwestern Manitoba has lakes spread out about the same as the Edmonton area and these lakes get relatively heavy fishing pressure which the government balances by maintaining yearly walleye stocking-something the Alberta government says they aren't sure works-even after they created a great trophy walleye fishery at Pigeon Lake through stocking and have established solid reservoir walleye populations through stocking.
Its time to stop ignoring the resource and put some money into creating and maintaining good fisheries. Stocking, regulations, and enforcement could enable Albertans to have a vastly improved fishing resource. Spending money short term can have long term economic and environmental payoffs.
Why can we not even attempt a "slot Size " limit of 1-2 fish on a lake as an experiment, like the Tags thing. Stocking close to major populations means more opportunity for City people to harvest a fish now and then without spending $150-200 on gas, while the rural just drive a few Kilometers?
Seems to me the Tories will only try something if they can make a buck at it.
Just so you know, I keep maybe 4-6 fish a year. It's been years since I Kept a walleye. Also I don't mind the Draw for tags, too much. but a slot size give everybody a chance.
My 2 cents