Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Default Flats fishing Mayan Riviera, Ascension Bay, Isla Blanca

Going to be down there April and want to do some salt water fly fishing. I'm looking at a guiding service that charges $550 for a day for Ascension and $375 for a day at Isla. Anyone ever fished either (or any other places on the Mayan)? Any experience with guiding services down there? I'd like something that will pick me up at my hotel in Puerto Morelos are and bring me back, etc.

Also, any experince with DYI fly fishing down there?

Fill me in. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Considering that most independent Mexican fishing guides are in the $250 - 400 per day range, the $550 a day is pricey. Is this a day trip out of a resort in the Mayan Rivierra and they are providing transportation back and forth to Ascension Bay? If so, while the cost may be more justifiable,, a good chunk of your day will spent on the road rather than fishing.

I have not fished Isla Blanca,,,, it's not known as a great bonefish destination, but it does have permit, jacks etc and in April there is a good chance you may get into a decent sized tarpon or two.

If you are wanting bones consider Cozumel, easier to get to from the Mayan Riviera and hire an independent guide.

Another option for bones is to rent a car and drive down to Punta Allen, and hire an independent guide. The road runs along the coast for 40 or so miles south of Tulum and there are numerous places to stop and DIY if your heart desires.

I will caution you that successful DIY flats fishing is not as easy as it sounds. Some relish the the challenge, others find the flats overwhelming. There is a very steep learning curve in the transtion from freshwater to flats bonefishing. Hiring a guide for a day or two or more can certainly help flatten that curve.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM

Pesca Maya, fished with them.
Awesome guides, and an all around great experience, will be fishing with them again.

Fished Ascension Bay and Boca Paila areas.

Damn those bones can run!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
Pesca Maya, fished with them.
Awesome guides, and an all around great experience, will be fishing with them again.

Fished Ascension Bay and Boca Paila areas.

Damn those bones can run!!!!
That's the company I was looking at.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Subscribed.

I may be heading down to a friends wedding at the Mayan Riviera in Oct/Nov of this year. The details are still being worked out on their end.

I am looking at doing a fishing excursion so this thread is of great interest to me.

Thanks for posting!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Info on guides and services is great and welcome. Keep it coming.

Also wondering if people sometimes just wade in off a beach and start fly fishing. Never seen it or done it so I have no idea whether it would be a total waste of time or not. Anyone got any experince on the Mayan Riviera doing that?

Will also take a spinning rod too. Thanks.