Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Trolling Motor Question

Hey Guys;

I searched on here and found quite a bit about trolling motors and such but was wondering about the whole lbs thrust thing. I have a 24' Crestliner 2485 Lsi Angler Edition pontoon boat and I am trying to find a trolling motor that will push us around. I found a website (http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/ros...52BGuide.shtml) that said to take the dry weight of the boat (2300 lbs) and add the maximum weight (2800lbs) for a total of 5100lbs. Take that number divide by 200 (25.5), multiple that by 5 for a total of 127.5 lbs of thrust needed. My question is does anybody make a trolling motor with that much lbs thrust and if that much is actually needed for us?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 PM

You might be better off with a kicker (9.9hp or less), if your boat is that heavy.

According to 'Select a motor' (link below) a bow mount motor for a 24' pontoon boat show the Terrova 80 lbs -101 lbs or 'pontoon 70/h, models.
Try it out.
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...lectamotor.asp
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

I think it depends on what you're expecting to do with the motor.

All day long trolling cranks or pulling spinners, or being out there in high winds - get a 4 stroke kicker, I don't think you'll be happy with any electric.

If you don't plan on continuous use and mostly in calm water conditions, then an electric will work just fine for you IMHO. My reccommendation would be a 36V setup with 100lbs+ of thrust, but depending on your planned use and your expectations, and of course your budget, you could probably get by with a 24V/80lbs motor. I wouldn't go any less than that. There are also engine mounted setups available with 100+ lbs of thrust, but they're a real compromise in terms of performance and handling.

I've got 24V/80lb front and rear motors on my 1900 Pro V, and if I had it to do over again (I didn't get to rig the front motor and batteries, they were already rigged when I bought it), I would go with a 36V system. More power, and more battery life, especially on those windier days when you're working the motors hard just holding position.

Waxy
Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Ended up picking up a Minn Kota Terrova 101 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with AutoPilot. Didn't really want to go with a kicker. We will see how this works. Got it at The Fishing Hole on the North end. Awesome customer service. Guys knew more about the motors than the Minn Kota rep we talked to a couple months ago.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Ended up picking up a Minn Kota Terrova 101 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with AutoPilot. Didn't really want to go with a kicker. We will see how this works. Got it at The Fishing Hole on the North end. Awesome customer service. Guys knew more about the motors than the Minn Kota rep we talked to a couple months ago.
From my experience and all reports, you'll love that motor.

That's what I'd have on the front of my boat if I would have had the choice. The AutoPilot feature is absolutely SWEET. I've got a Motorguide on mine, and it's a good TM, but not having the AutoPilot makes me want to switch it out.

Enjoy!

Waxy