Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Clowns like these make us all look bad

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nter-1.3174187

"Baiting is legal in Alberta", maybe for trapping/nuisance animals and bears...you bait a Deer, Moose or Elk and shoot it when its over top of the bait or near the bait and you're going to jail. This idiot makes me mad as hell..that's all hunters in Alberta (who are already looked down upon by the masses) need, is more tools like this flapping their gums.

This blurb got me especially mad:

"What they're calling 'murder' — I'm sorry, but he was hunting. It's not murder. He was not killing a person and when you're hunting an animal, that's not murder," she said.

Baiting a Lion out of a national protected park and shooting it as it's being baited is not "hunting", it's killing for fun illegally.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:58 AM

I would agree with everything said in the article. Baiting of bears, wolves and some other species is legal and they do leave parks and other refuge where thay can be legally harvested.

Only if there were no permits/licences in place does the hunting of the lion become poaching and the news reports to date have been contradictory as to whether permits were in place, time will tell if they were.

Still don't see the actions as murder and agree with the author in the article.

If no permits were in place hope they throw the book at all involved, but the act of baiting and hunting of the lion in itself does not warrant the attention that this has received.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Banned

hmm, that. Miss Jeanette Hall is a "huntress" and a taxidermist,,, and not bad to look at either,,, win , win

But she seems a bit stupid,, is that kinda like baiting a senile lion ?

I think I'll caller up have myself mounted,,,
Old 07-31-2015, 11:05 AM
Banned

Battery
Im not following your train of thought on this.
Are you really bashing Miss Hall ?

But currently....
Walter Palmer has closed his practice and gone into hiding while the Zimbabwe government wants him extradicted for questioning.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxor View Post
Walter Palmer has closed his practice and gone into hiding
It's pathetic that he has to do that over a killing a lion. World is going to heck in a handbasket.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
It's pathetic that he has to do that over a killing a lion. World is going to heck in a handbasket.
Its a foggy story to follow.
Who actually gets the blame?
Usually the guide takes responsibilty.

But I wasnt there and I dont really have all the facts.
Seems the media doesnt either
Old 07-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
The "tolerant" left want their pound of flesh and their appetite will not be sated.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Its a foggy story to follow.
Who actually gets the blame?
Usually the guide takes responsibilty.

But I wasnt there and I dont really have all the facts.
Seems the media doesnt either
If there was no permit in place, both should take the blame, the outfitter for not securing the permit and the hunter for not ensuring it was in place. Simply asking to see the licence or permit would have answered the question pretty quickly.

Quote:
Battery
Im not following your train of thought on this.
Are you really bashing Miss Hall ?

But currently....
Walter Palmer has closed his practice and gone into hiding while the Zimbabwe government wants him extradicted for questioning.
Yes, baiting an animal out of a national park for a trophy hunt is bull****. I'm sorry if you don't see how morally wrong that is. You buy Ivory too?.

Also, to the next post under this, Lion numbers are dwindling, of course there's going to be an outcry. Come on guys. Legal ramifications are one thing (these guys didn't even have quota to hunt a lion), but as hunters, we should be respecting animals and not baiting a close to endangered species out of a nationally protected sanctuary/park. This $50,000.00 does nothing for their economy and none of this money will go back into Lion conservation efforts like the money he brought in from tourism would. Would you bait a lion out of a Zoo if you had the chance and had a tag for the areas completely surrounding the zoo?

Ouch!
The comments on this article are absolutely brutal.
I don't think all the "damage control" in the world can help the sport now.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Yes, baiting an animal out of a national park for a trophy hunt is bull****. I'm sorry if you don't see how morally wrong that is. You buy Ivory too?.

Also, to the next post under this, Lion numbers are dwindling, of course there's going to be an outcry. Come on guys. Legal ramifications are one thing (these guys didn't even have quota to hunt a lion), but as hunters, we should be respecting animals and not baiting a close to endangered species out of a nationally protected sanctuary/park. This $50,000.00 does nothing for their economy and none of this money will go back into Lion conservation efforts like the money he brought in from tourism would. Would you bait a lion out of a Zoo if you had the chance and had a tag for the areas completely surrounding the zoo?
Black bears are baited near parks all the time, people hunt the boarders of sanctuaries and national parks for sheep and elk, tree stands line the park boundary between the bowzone and Banff and thousands put in each year to draw a sheep tag hoping a full curl ram will leave the mine site at Cadomin. While these animals reside most of their lives in sanctuaries once they leave their confines I have no moral issue with them being harvested and calling the hunting of these animals "murder" is omething I would expect from PETA.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Ouch!
The comments on this article are absolutely brutal.
I don't think all the "damage control" in the world can help the sport now.
Exactly what I'm saying. Idiots like this are ruining hunting for the rest of us. Non hunters don't think the way we do, they see murder. The more hunters doing dumb @$&# like this, the more repercussions to the rest of us.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
calling the hunting of these animals "murder" is omething I would expect from PETA.
Or millions of non hunters. None of my coworkers are "PETA", yet I keep hearing outrage and murder over this. Remember, hunters are a very small percentage of the population. All we need is idiots running around doing dumb and illegal things around the world and dummies over here condoning actions. Soon enough hunting and guns will be banned and we will have no one else to blame other than the stupid actions committed in our own community.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM

I think she'd come off as more believable if she used less definite terms in regards to her speculation about what occurred. Its possible he knew about the baiting, but its also entirely possible that the guides choreographed the whole thing like a play, lion enter @ stage left. His previous poaching conviction certainly doesn't lend a lot of confidence in his claim, but it also doesn't mean he's guilty of the baiting and hunting without a licence either, those are both things he could have been led to believe were legitimate, you can bet that $55,000 could inspire African guides to go to all kinds of lengths. Anyways, she doesn't know that it happened her way any more than the militant hunting-haters who are spouting off endorsing violence against hunters know that it happened the way they're speculating. Both sides are setting themselves up for correction by digging in on their opinions. That being said I agree with her points as being definite possibilities and that the torch-bearing mob has gone completely off the rails on this one, the cartoon citizens of Springfield must be truly humbled to bear witness to this spectacle.

Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another
Old 07-31-2015, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly what I'm saying. Idiots like this are ruining hunting for the rest of us. Non hunters don't think the way we do, they see murder. The more hunters doing dumb @$&# like this, the more repercussions to the rest of us.
I think one of the big issues with the anti crowd is the disconnect. For some reason, many can't associate the cattle in the field with the steak they sit and eat. They think that meat somehow magically appears in the local supermarket.

I don't get it.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:

You can't be serious? Tell you what, we can do what all the lefty idiots want. Lets ban Lion hunting and see how many we save.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Or millions of non hunters. None of my coworkers are "PETA", yet I keep hearing outrage and murder over this. Remember, hunters are a very small percentage of the population. All we need is idiots running around doing dumb and illegal things around the world and dummies over here condoning actions. Soon enough hunting and guns will be banned and we will have no one else to blame other than the stupid actions committed in our own community.
There are legal actions and illegal actions. What you are doing is inserting your own opinions on what is right or wrong. This division is what will be the demise of the hunting we partake in. People like yourself who are stating that a legal activity is wrong, (see baiting lions, bears ect ect) is doing more damage than any poacher out there.
No idea why some people cannot get it threw their heads that just because you have an opinion on something, doesn't mean you are correct in any sense of the imagination.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I think one of the big issues with the anti crowd is the disconnect. For some reason, many can't associate the cattle in the field with the steak they sit and eat. They think that meat somehow magically appears in the local supermarket.

I don't get it.
You know, I think most can see past hunting deer for food, but it's the sport hunting that makes people go bananas, especially lions, elephants, etc. who are all dwindling as species. You can hit them with the "It's for conservation efforts, the money gets injected back into conservation, etc.", however, this specific hunt did nothing for conservation efforts. In fact, it did the opposite and not only took out Cecil, but most of his cubs will now be killed by the next lion in line to the throne.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

Yes I buy Ivory
Whats your point???

You are over dramatizing this based on media exerpts who dont have all the facts.

Not even the Zimbabwe government is crucifying him.
They just want him for questioning.

Why not let the facts come out.
Its just guesswork right now.
You are just feeding the fire.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Anyone that connects the killing of an animal with Murder likely wouldn't see it any differently if a licence was in place and would be oppoesed to hunting for sport in any instance. Glad I don't work with anyone that has made that type of connection.

I have heard alot of outrage over this based on the reports that no permits where inplace and the act may have been illegal but I have not heard anyone call this murder among my coworkers or acquaintences.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=Battery;2912827]Yes, baiting an animal out of a national park for a trophy hunt is bull****. I'm sorry if you don't see how morally wrong that is. You buy Ivory too?.

This is another great quote of inserting your Morallity as what you believe should be law... Its gotta stop.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
There are legal actions and illegal actions. What you are doing is inserting your own opinions on what is right or wrong. This division is what will be the demise of the hunting we partake in. People like yourself who are stating that a legal activity is wrong, (see baiting lions, bears ect ect) is doing more damage than any poacher out there.
No idea why some people cannot get it threw their heads that just because you have an opinion on something, doesn't mean you are correct in any sense of the imagination.
What he did is not legal. People like me are not condoning illegal actions just because hes a fellow hunter and I feel I need to stand up for him. His guides are facing trial and zimbabwe is trying to extradite him back to Africa to face trial. He baited a well respected and researched lion out of an animal sanctuary to kill it (which he failed to do himself, by the way) when the guides had no quota for a lion hunt. If you think people like myself are doing more damage than good, then say good bye to your hunting rights in the future if you condone BS like this.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
You know, I think most can see past hunting deer for food, but it's the sport hunting that makes people go bananas, especially lions, elephants, etc. who are all dwindling as species. You can hit them with the "It's for conservation efforts, the money gets injected back into conservation, etc.", however, this specific hunt did nothing for conservation efforts. In fact, it did the opposite and not only took out Cecil, but most of his cubs will now be killed by the next lion in line to the throne.

Hahaha

Dude....its the males that kill their own young !!!!!

You are coming off as more anti than anyone else
Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Cecil was old and most likely the same thing would have occurred this year or next anyways. And 50,000 part of which going to a farmer who most likely loses several cattle every year due to lion attacks gives them enough incentive not to shoot the whole pride.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:50 AM

One thing is certain, when the guides aren't legitimate permit holders, then none of the money paid to them is making it back into conservation efforts.

Where's the outrage over these dead cheetahs?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUU3DNU-ymQ
Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
What he did was Illegal by not having the proper paper work in place no question.

Baiting is not Illegal where this was done. It was done out side of a park.

I don't condone illegal activities.

I DO condone people who decide that they don't like something, and go on and preach their opinions, on how morally wrong it is. People who cannot leave their Opinions out of a factual discussion.
Do you know what condone means? lol quit talking. You're not smart enough to have a conversation about morals or legalities.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
What he did is not legal. People like me are not condoning illegal actions just because hes a fellow hunter and I feel I need to stand up for him. His guides are facing trial and zimbabwe is trying to extradite him back to Africa to face trial. He baited a well respected and researched lion out of an animal sanctuary to kill it (which he failed to do himself, by the way) when the guides had no quota for a lion hunt. If you think people like myself are doing more damage than good, then say good bye to your hunting rights in the future if you condone BS like this.
You're causing the damage by stating this is a hunting issue. It's not, it's a POACHING issue. This was not hunting, this was poaching plain and simple. Whether Walter Palmer knew or not I don't know but does he deserve the global attack he recieving without all the facts being known? For all we know Walter Palmer had no idea he was poaching and all the hatred being spewed should be directed towards the outfitter and PH.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 AM

this thread is a turd

OP states that the article is what cheeses him off, the baiting quote and the murder quote, then every post since, he talk about morals and his own opinion on baiting....

this thread is a turd and the OP is just circumventing the closing of the original thread.....

did I say this thread is a turd? And the name calling is pitiful. Smarten up.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:56 AM
Banned

Battery

You are about to self destruct !!!!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Do you know what condone means? lol quit talking. You're not smart enough to have a conversation about morals or legalities.
LOL, sorry about the fat finger typo! You got my drift.
You obviously have an issue separating the two, so discuss away.....
Closed Thread