Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-03-2023, 06:41 PM

Default Torqeedo

Hi

I was looking at the Torqeedo motors.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this motor that they would like to share.

Are they worth the price????
Old 10-03-2023, 08:18 PM

I looked at Torqueedo motors, and have spoken with a few people at Maligne Lake that run them. But I ended up going with a Bixpy motor. You might want to check them out as well, The Canadian distributor is a shop in Esau Claire in Calgary.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:20 PM

More important question, what do you plan to use it for?

High voltage electric trolling motors that you can almost surf behind means little on Hasse Lake.

Drewski
Old 10-04-2023, 10:23 AM

I use my Bixpy motor on both of my Hobie Mirage Drive (pedal-drive) kayaks. With a mount supplied by Bixpy, the motor slides into the Mirage drive opening, replacing the pedal drive. It’s controlled - 6 forward speeds and reverse - by a watch-like, wireless wrist band. There’s a variety of mounts available for other kayaks, small boats - even SUPs (stand-up paddle-boards)
Old 10-05-2023, 11:01 AM

I don’t own one, but have fished on Maligne with freighter canoes that run these motors. They are amazing for moving heavy freighters quickly. They are quiet and easy to operate, and I haven’t heard of a single one needing repair or warranty work.

Cost can be prohibitive, but most say they are well worth the money.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:07 PM

Default Torqeedo Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Hi

I was looking at the Torqeedo motors.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this motor that they would like to share.

Are they worth the price????
I've owned one for quite a while now, the older Travel 1003 outboard which we put on on larger squareback canoe.

Pros:
- It's fairly quiet and powerful.
- Even with the battery, it's fairly light.
- The larger battery has pretty decent battery life
- It's got lots of technology built into it: LCD display has battery life, speed, power consumption etc., kill switch and "key", tilt-up, tiller lock etc...
- Modular: The motor can be separated into three parts: battery module, tiller handle and the rest of the motor.

Cons:
- Not great value I think - it's now somewhat too expensive. When I bought it, it was about half the price that it is now for the equivalent model
- Over-engineered. The design seems pretty clever but it would be better if it were more "basic" and durable. It will even give you engine error codes if the connectors are not on properly but the code you get on the water is like 'E07' or something like that so difficult to know what's wrong. Even the connectors would have been better if they used a simpler plug - Eg. Because of the plug design, it can be very fiddly to attach the cables from the battery to the main unit sometimes.
- Too much plastic which affects durability - see comments above about "over-engineering". You have to be careful about rough handling -
- The info on the display can be hard to see sometimes.

insomniac

Last edited by insomniac; 10-06-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:51 AM

Take a look at the Spirit Evo.

https://www.epropulsion.com/spirit-evo/

I would recommend over the Torqeedo. Better connect, not at all finicky. I have two of the heads and they are very easy to switch out. And they float…just in case you are clumsy like me.

It was the quick plug and play and weight that sold it for me. I was getting tired of lugging 70 lb a piece bug interstate acid cells for my 55 lb thrust. Spirit is light even with battery in. Nice carrying handles as well.

At 30% power I can just exceed what was full out in my 55 lb thrust. Hits about 5.1 to 5.2 km/hr at 30% and I can get just over 10 km/hr at 100% if I’m by myself. I have a 12 foot Lund aluminum. I was worried about to little weight when by myself but I was proven wrong. Got caught in a nasty storm at Maligne and the extra torque actually pushed through no problem. 2 to 2.5 foot waved as well. My old one would have struggled even with the extra weight.

And, love it on small potholes as well. Never run out of battery and quick to get around or get back quicker when needed.

One big complaint, tilt. There is none. Either fully up or fully down. Just have to watch on shallow launches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2023, 12:31 PM

What's the price compared to the Torqeedo?
Is there a dealer in Calgary/Edmonton?

Since the battery is encased in the motor, what are you doing for power for the Fishfinder/Sonar?
Old 10-08-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
More important question, what do you plan to use it for?

High voltage electric trolling motors that you can almost surf behind means little on Hasse Lake.

Drewski
I'm just going to use it as trolling motor on pothole lakes. I find the standard electric motors lack the stability and control of the gas outboard. I'm hoping this will perform more like a gas outboard due to its increase power/hp.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
What's the price compared to the Torqeedo?
Is there a dealer in Calgary/Edmonton?

Since the battery is encased in the motor, what are you doing for power for the Fishfinder/Sonar?

They are comparable but Evo has the option of the “click” in battery on the motor or hook up one of their larger separate battery packs.
You have the choice. I wanted something beyond easy and powerful and I got it.

For potholes you will be over kill…but hey, nothing wrong with being the fastest boat on the pond

Sonar is separate for me on the 12 footer. I use a lithium for that now and it can for 7 days without a recharge. Also simple and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk