Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2023, 10:02 AM

Default looking for Samara Costa Rica shore fishing info

Gonna be heading to Samara for a few week end Nov. Going to bring a few rods and some gear to check out the shore fishing and was just wondering if anyone has been, and can give me a few tips on the area..if not ill do the usual and schmooze with the locals and go from there!
Old 09-29-2023, 06:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Gonna be heading to Samara for a few week end Nov. Going to bring a few rods and some gear to check out the shore fishing and was just wondering if anyone has been, and can give me a few tips on the area..if not ill do the usual and schmooze with the locals and go from there!
Can’t help you out there but I tend to research the areas, google earth, fishing sites etc then when I am there’s hit up the locals for further intel.
Had many adventures where I catch they keep type deal plus the place we stay at I always load up on food, the room bottle of rum and give it to the new friend I have found.....end of my trip I simply hand over my spare rod and gear to them as a show of appreciation....man the locals sure can put you on fish in no time at all.

Good luck and post up your trip.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-29-2023, 08:18 AM

Also be carefull when wading.

A very good friend of mine goes every winter and last yr. while fishing he stepped on a small Sting Ray.

Very small town and no doc or anyone to assist him. They made the decision to leave and when they got back home to Airdrie the emerg. sent them to the Foothills where the wound was opened and cleansed and he was on anti biodics for quite some time. Now a yr. later he still has some lasting issues.

Lucky it was not a bigger Ray or who knows what would have happened.

So, take care and always watch where you step in the water.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:49 AM

A standard rig for catching whatever is around is a 2 hook chicken rig/pickerel rig/patternoster with some 1/0 octopus hooks and pieces of shrimp/fish as bait with a 1/2 to 1 oz weight. Did this in mexico and caught puffer fish, eels, an octopus, jack crevalle, a small pompano, mystery white fish, lizard fish etc. Just grabbed some shrimp from the buffet and was good to go. If you are not bringing pliers i would recommend making your hooks barbless, even the little guys have intimidating teeth. Once I mashed the barbs I was just using a fork or a chop stick to unhook fish.

You can look up how to tie the patternoster on youtube and just tie up whatever you want in some mono or braid. The fish didnt seem that picky.

Also if you bring some size 8-10 octopus hooks you can catch the little reef fish that swim around the docks. Can use bread or fish as bait.

Lastly if you feel like casting, bring some 1 or 1.5 oz cast masters and fish em around where the waves are breaking or water is hitting the rocks. Skip it across the surface to imitate a fleeing bait fish. We had many needle fish attempt to eat that and some small jacks as well. Seemingly cant reel it fast enough.

Not necessarily location specific info but i've done this is several different tropical places with similar results.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
A standard rig for catching whatever is around is a 2 hook chicken rig/pickerel rig/patternoster with some 1/0 octopus hooks and pieces of shrimp/fish as bait with a 1/2 to 1 oz weight. Did this in mexico and caught puffer fish, eels, an octopus, jack crevalle, a small pompano, mystery white fish, lizard fish etc. Just grabbed some shrimp from the buffet and was good to go. If you are not bringing pliers i would recommend making your hooks barbless, even the little guys have intimidating teeth. Once I mashed the barbs I was just using a fork or a chop stick to unhook fish.

You can look up how to tie the patternoster on youtube and just tie up whatever you want in some mono or braid. The fish didnt seem that picky.

Also if you bring some size 8-10 octopus hooks you can catch the little reef fish that swim around the docks. Can use bread or fish as bait.

Lastly if you feel like casting, bring some 1 or 1.5 oz cast masters and fish em around where the waves are breaking or water is hitting the rocks. Skip it across the surface to imitate a fleeing bait fish. We had many needle fish attempt to eat that and some small jacks as well. Seemingly cant reel it fast enough.

Not necessarily location specific info but i've done this is several different tropical places with similar results.
Lol...now you sound like me! Brought my gear to PV and Cabo lots doing exactly what you are saying here...just never been to Samara area before...but ya, I'll try all the Normal stuff.. was just wondering if there were any specific little spots that were better then others...or areas to completerly avoid for any specific reasons....
Old 09-30-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post

A long piece of cottony silky fibrous material with some silver and blue flash in it can attract needlefish. Don’t need a hook as their teeth get tangled if you have the right stuff.
Like this guy

https://youtu.be/IbeZAnfjzjs?feature=shared
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-30-2023 at 12:44 PM.