Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2022, 07:50 PM

Default Cuba resort questions

Hi there.
Me and the lady are thinking of a trip to Cuba in the next month or two.

I’m curious about the resorts.
I’ve heard that a 5 star in Cuba is a 3 star in Mexico, but I really don’t have much of a frame of reference.
I was in a 4 star in the Dominican close to 20 years ago. That’s the only tropical holiday I’ve been on. And I didn’t have any complaints at that place.
Nothing luxurious, but fine overall.

We aren’t very fussy people and aren’t going there for the food.
But would like a place that’s in fairly clean and well maintained.

I see some deals in my price range for 4 & 4.5 star places.
Wondering what I could expect for that rating.
Planning all inclusive if that matters.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2022, 08:02 PM

My first beach vacation was to varadero, Cuba about 9-10 years ago, and i was blown away by how beautiful the beaches are. The food options were terrible, but i think everyone expects that.
We took a day trip to Havana, and it was amazing. The architecture and history blew my mind.
Beautiful country
Old 11-02-2022, 08:22 PM

We stayed at a 4 star in Cuba and it was decently nice. Great beach, great snorkelling a mile out. Good rum, beer, food and resort staff. Isn’t Cuba going through some serious anti government protests to the point that they’re not recommending travel?
Old 11-02-2022, 09:15 PM

Well its probably a good preveiw to help you adapt easier to the canada of the future.

Have fun , comrade.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:30 PM

We stayed on the north islands twice, both times in very new 4.5 and 5 star resorts. The facilities were good, the service was good, and the food was fairly plain, but not bad.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:40 AM

We’ve vacationed in Varadero and Cayo Coco. We have been fortunate both times in that the resorts were brand new, so the facilities were nice, and the Cuban people are simply lovely. Because they were putting their best foot forward to get good initial reviews, the food was very good. Elk11 stayed at one of the same resorts close to a year later, and from his reports of the same place, the food had slipped. That’s normal practice though in Cuba.

I would go no lower than 4.5 in Cuba. The extra $500 or so per person over a lesser resort won’t mean a lot if you have a good trip compared to a poor one if you know what I mean.

This is the last place we stayed and we loved it. But again, it was brand spanking new, and about 1/3 of the rooms weren’t even open. The beach was breathtaking. So wish we could go again.

In the end, read 100 reviews on TripAdvisor and you will get a good feel of what you will encounter.

I love Cuba.

Beach. Food. Availability of chairs. The rest you will be able to live with. Booze is booze. Rooms are rooms.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev..._Province.html
Old 11-03-2022, 05:54 AM

Thanks folks.
Appreciate the advice.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Luv Cuba, great beaches, people and I was blown away by the food too.
Best pork, fish, chicken which was cooked just to pull apart and melt in your mouth.
Now some food as with any country is just awful but had to try it anyways.
Again the people are second to none always going out of their way.....one place comes to mind was camo coco memories caribe which was not top of the line but fit our bill of a place to rest, a place to fish and snorkel and get out off the resort to explore the culture.
Hope you find a place for some R and R.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-03-2022, 08:04 AM

If you are staying in Varadero I know a guide very well that can arrange river tarpon day trips. Some snook also in the river.

I’d need to confirm prices but pre Covid it was $450 US for fishing in a boat with a guide… includes Zapata National Park pass. Taxi at the time was $80 US.

I would tip the guide $50 US. Tip the taxi $20 US.

Need a 10 weight or better fly rod. He may also allow a heavy action spinning rod but would need to check.

I’ve stayed in Playa Largo directly south of Varadero on the other side of the island. My guide buddy can arrange accommodation and fishing there also.

Beach is lovely
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-03-2022, 10:11 AM

I would rethink a trip to Cuba right now, the entire country is in a very bad state, the worst it has been in many years.

My Dad works/lives there for the past 20 years and it is the worst he has seen, no one is spared from the shortages in fuel, food, power - not even the resorts.

There is no food, rolling blackouts of 3 hours on/off for months now already.

Just my opinion, best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I would rethink a trip to Cuba right now, the entire country is in a very bad state, the worst it has been in many years.

My Dad works/lives there for the past 20 years and it is the worst he has seen, no one is spared from the shortages in fuel, food, power - not even the resorts.

Good to know.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2022, 12:45 PM

Lots of positive reviews here for sure. One thing I’ve found out about trips to Cuba is you either love it or hate it. Never in between. Myself, I’d never set foot there again.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:46 PM

We stayed in a 5 star about 14 yrs ago. Everything was great but the food. I lost 5lbs that week. I watched them unload the fish we were fed on the first day, I don't know how long they had been laying in the sun on the deck but they looked horrible. Not much for meat if you won't eat the fish. To be fair I did a fair bit of snorkeling and burn a few calories there.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-03-2022, 08:01 PM

Update to my previous post, I email my Dad to ask how things were, in short:
-the economy is horrific, inflation, hurricanes, the big fire at oil storage facility awhile back, has all made things very bad
-medicine and food are in very short supply for residents, even himself who has many, many connections to get anything he needs
-no blackouts in the resorts or Varadero, however the area he lives and works (Santa Marta, Cardenas, Matanzas...) are experiencing blackouts of 12-20 hours per day

The price of cigars is way up, inventory is low due to crop losses from hurricanes.
If a person was to stay in their resort they would likely have a decent time, resorts get somewhat prioritized as they are one of the biggest sources of income for the country.

Rough times there for sure.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:33 PM

Sons have been to Varadero and Cayo coco

Same reviews. 5 star is pretty nice. Clean.

Beaches awesome. Security people were stern but nice.

I know some people go to all inclusives and eat themselves into oblivion. If food is a driving factor, go elsewhere.

The boys said the food was ok. Very bland, but ok. It's one of those countries.........you ARE NOT at home.

Friend was there a few weeks ago and said its a bit of a gong show now with shortages etc....

However, in hindsight, they would have went to Bahamas instead. Or Turks and Caicos....
Old 11-03-2022, 11:36 PM

Resorts themselves nice enough, if you aren’t expecting much for the food you won’t have many complaints.

Definitely worth spending a day in town

(Ps. Clear your messages... still have sr-22)
Old 11-04-2022, 07:32 PM

Thanks to all.

And apologies.
Didn’t realize my inbox was full.
It’s empty now.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post

I've heard the exact same things, I love cuba but not this year.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:38 AM

If you do go in the future, I found it very interesting to talk to some of the staff. A bartender at our resort used to be a doctor, and it was very enlightening to hear his views on Cuba, and on how it is run. A tour guide used to be a University professor, but he constantly spouted political propaganda supporting the government. What both had in common, was that they changed jobs, because they made more in tips in a week, than their former jobs paid in a month. But you would likely be hard pressed to find more educated people, doing that type of work in most places.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you do go in the future, I found it very interesting to talk to some of the staff. A bartender at our resort used to be a doctor, and it was very enlightening to hear his views on Cuba, and on how it is run. A tour guide used to be a University professor, but he constantly spouted political propaganda supporting the government. What both had in common, was that they changed jobs, because they made more in tips in a week, than their former jobs paid in a month. But you would likely be hard pressed to find more educated people, doing that type of work in most places.
They have to spout the propaganda on the tours. You are right in that the Cuban people are extremely well educated, and interesting to talk to.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:21 AM
Banned

What I enjoyed the most was walking the streets of Old Havana and seeing all the amazing architecture and just the overall vibrant feel of the city.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:12 PM

I was there in July at Varadero. 3.5 stars at an Iberostar resort. Im a picky eater and i ate all week. Got drunk second day there before noon and had lunch but i don’t know what i ate but i think it was crocodile. The other travellers couldn't believe what i was eating. I never ate liver in my entire life but one evening i wanted some meat and seeing that i dont speak Spanish at all we couldn’t understand but the guy pointed something that looked like some well done steak strips so i kinds filled my plate with some of that and with some hp sauce of i went at my table. Went back for some of that well done meat and was told it was liver argh! I don’t even eat that i said but thinking it out iw juste ate a big pile of it so what the heck took a second serving but not as big as first time. Rhe people are fantastic and they serve you well. The resort wasent the “Château Frontenac” but i wasn’t there to stay in my room. Weather was nice all seven day’s with 3 end of day rain short episodes. Was my first experience and was ok. Will i go back? Yes i will where? Ill see.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:11 AM

The best meals I ate in Cuba were at the restaurants in peoples houses. The government lets people run little businesses out of their living rooms essentially. Usually the husband and the kids are the waiter and busboys and the wife is cooking. Their fruit and veggies are amazing, they just really lack the imported spices that we take for granted here.

We stuck mostly to fish and lobster at those house restaurants and we were genuinely impressed. From resorts or government restaurants it was pretty much just ham and cheese sandwiches for us.