Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 03:34 AM
Banned

Default Covid 19

Arsenal Fc coach has been tested positive for Coronavirus. Things are getting worst by days. God safe us. I am afraid.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakon View Post
Arsenal Fc coach has been tested positive for Coronavirus. Things are getting worst by days. God safe us. I am afraid.
It’s a flu type virus, not a death sentence for crying out loud!

Did you see the lady from vegreville who has the virus? She’s been giving updates on Facebook. She got a flu but she’s up, laughing, smiling, looks healthy and is in good spirits.

People got to stop freaking out, you’re acting like you’ve never heard of getting sick before. If someone told you there’s a 2% chance you’d win a million dollars you probably wouldn’t be too excited, but if they told you there’s a 98% chance you’ll win a million bucks you’d be pretty excited, and that’s only if you’re entered into the draw!!!

I’m not sure what % of the population will get this virus, but only 2% of the people who get it really have anything to worry about. Stay aware but relax, if 1/4 of the worlds population gets it there’s only about a 0.5% chance you’ll die. You probably have higher odds of dying of cancer, heart attack or a car accident.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Did you see the lady from vegreville who has the virus? She’s been giving updates on Facebook. She got a flu but she’s up, laughing, smiling, looks healthy and is in good spirits.

People got to stop freaking out, you’re acting like you’ve never heard of getting sick before. If someone told you there’s a 2% chance you’d win a million dollars you probably wouldn’t be too excited, but if they told you there’s a 98% chance you’ll win a million bucks you’d be pretty excited, and that’s only if you’re entered into the draw!!!

I’m not sure what % of the population will get this virus, but only 2% of the people who get it really have anything to worry about. Stay aware but relax, if 1/4 of the worlds population gets it there’s only about a 0.5% chance you’ll die. You probably have higher odds of dying of cancer, heart attack or a car accident.
Very true about all that info. People have an inner panic button and media is really running with this one.
I’m shutting off the phone for the weekend. Lol. Probably not😉. Gone skiing and going to enjoy the fresh air before they decide to close those too. Be safe everyone.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:05 AM

From my kids schools below, not sure with only a week to go to spring break, why they dont just cancel next week...

"Over the past few days, the Covid-19 virus has been heavy on our minds and I wanted to assure you that this School is following all Alberta Health Services and Edmonton Public School directives to ensure the
safety and security of all students, parents and staff.
Today, we have added more measures to our routines to help us all stay healthy. This includes but is not limited
to:
● Continued education for all students about hand washing hygiene
● Covering coughs and sneezes
● Avoiding touching eyes, nose and month
● Staying at home and away from others if your child is feeling ill (or a staff member)
● Contacting your primary health provider or Health Link at 811 for questions
● Enhancing cleaning protocols
Additionally, to reduce large gatherings in our school, the following changes will be effective by Monday, March
16, 2020:
● Junior high students will be assigned classrooms to eat their lunch in smaller groups
● Open gym for junior high students and elementary intramurals will be postponed
● Some junior high students will be assigned a classroom to store their belongings in order to reduce
congestion in the hallway during locker access times
● Visitor and volunteer access to the school will be restricted
● School Council meetings will be postponed until further notice
● The (school store) will be closed until further notice
● School assemblies and other large gatherings of students will be postponed
● Fieldtrips will be evaluated on a case by case basis and affected parents and guardians notified as
required
Further, also effective Monday, March 16, 2020, we are asking that all parents remain outside the school
building during drop-off and pickup. As well, it will be imperative that all students use their assigned doors, in
the morning and after school to help alleviate congestion at all of our entrances. School staff will be at the front
doors to greet our Kindergarten children in the morning and again when their parents are waiting outside for
pickup."
Old 03-13-2020, 06:32 AM

Ok so lets say you get it. You have 3 kids and a wife. Now you all self quarantine for 14 days. During that time you get over but now 2 of your kids have it. Can they not just pass it on to you again so you are reinfected?
Old 03-13-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Ok so lets say you get it. You have 3 kids and a wife. Now you all self quarantine for 14 days. During that time you get over but now 2 of your kids have it. Can they not just pass it on to you again so you are reinfected?
Good question!!! I take everything back I said in regards to downplaying this. It’s quite the monster folks. Buckle up...
Old 03-13-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
According to an infectious disease doctor I listened to (Joe Rogan podcast the other day), once you've had had it and recovered, you're immune to it.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:44 AM
Banned

Letter to Sophie,

Dear Sophie,

Sorry to hear about your virus. I realize this is a lot to ask of you, especially in light of your illness, but for the sake of all Canadians, can you please go kiss your husband? I understand under normal circumstances the thought of doing so probably turns your stomach, but in life you only get a few opportunities to do something truly great, and right now is your time to shine!

I think I speak for all Canadians when I say please consider my request, you could go down in history as the lady who saved Canada.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Letter to Sophie,

Dear Sophie,

Sorry to hear about your virus. I realize this is a lot to ask of you, especially in light of your illness, but for the sake of all Canadians, can you please go kiss your husband? I understand under normal circumstances the thought of doing so probably turns your stomach, but in life you only get a few opportunities to do something truly great, and right now is your time to shine!

I think I speak for all Canadians when I say please consider my request, you could go down in history as the lady who saved Canada.
I would be crossing my fingers that Trudeau was part of the unlucky 2%
Old 03-13-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Letter to Sophie,

Dear Sophie,

Solid gold right there, Kurt.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Read the article now. Given it’s three days old, my sister’s second-hand account of events unfolding today sounds about right. We will see how that turns out... it sucks either way.

It’s amazing how vulnerable we as humans are, rather how we make ourself to be, when exposed to something as small as this. There is no reason for us not to be prepared for an event like this. And I am not even talking about hospitals beds and medical equipment. As little as some protocol of actions to take should do, really.
I’m amazed at how unprepared the government is.
It took weeks to plan and evacuate Canadians from China, the spending details (debt spending/“fiscal stimulus”) by government is still being worked out, EI coverage is being debated...

The list goes on and on.

Post SARS I think the health care system really prepared itself, however I think the politicians just kicked the can down the road for a whole lot of obvious and highly predictable issues.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I’ve always been an optimist.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-13-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Haha he’s sure a lightning rod for all our troubles.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
He is the cause of a lot of Alberta's troubles......
Old 03-13-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:

I agree. People need to understand that caution is about preventing overwhelming the health care system because of a spike in cases. An overwhelmed system has a hard time helping people that have other life threatening conditions.

There also needs to be some ramifications in place for people that insist on travelling to infected areas.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 03-13-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:34 AM

It is definitely real. The CF has told it's members no travel out of Canada, those outside to stay outside until further notice.

Nothing wrong with walls and an iron cap in this scenario, no fantasions out to get us this time.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Letter to Sophie,

Dear Sophie,

Call me a cynic, but I just see political grand standing. These people are so amoral, thy'll do anything to garner popular support. Can't get by in public life these days without having a hard luck story.

Grizz
Old 03-13-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
He has given many reasons for people across Canada not to like him. I thought he was an idiot before it was cool and realized he was a screw up before he did damage. I don’t blame Trudeau for all the problems in Canada but he is definitely responsible for a lot of screw ups.

It’s easy for me not to like him when his vision for Canada and his personality even are in complete opposition to my own
Old 03-13-2020, 07:42 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2020, 07:58 AM

Just another random thought here, but what will happen when all our snowbirds living in the south... in the USA or Mexico or wherever they live in winter, start returning to Canada by cars, motorhomes, flying, it’s close to the season of their return... there’s a ton of Canadians not even home yet.. what about all those Canadians?
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-13-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Just another random thought here, but what will happen when all our snowbirds living in the south... in the USA or Mexico or wherever they live in winter, start returning to Canada by cars, motorhomes, flying, it’s close to the season of their return... there’s a ton of Canadians not even home yet.. what about all those Canadians?
Zip
Well.. There are resorts "shutting down" in the Arizona area now, and sending people home, so, it's happening now.

And if the Westjet thing is true (which I doubt at this stage in the game), then it'll be interesting.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:10 AM

In terms of national security, this could sure cause some hiccups. Imagine if it got established on a US aircraft carrier for instance. Not that I’d expect a much of a death toll among a young and healthy crew, but just how fast it would spread in such quarters and such.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I have been reading about that, as I had the same question. The majority of doctors I read said that they do not think so, as the body builds an immunity, hence your recovery. There was one report out of China of a lady who appeared to have it twice, but epidemiologists feel that she wasn't fully recovered from the first bout and her symptoms appeared improved, but it came back.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Still trying to keep some distance from this thread for a bit. But, can't resist. Received a couple more bits of insider info. Wetaskiwin hospital is apparently being set to become the central hub for Alberta cases. I was told there were 12 new confirmed cases there last night, yet to be made public info though. Also, Westjet will be stopping all operations until further notice, should be announced in the next day or two, I was told from someone very much in the know.
So where are these 12 new cases.
Please don't post hearsay.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
In terms of national security, this could sure cause some hiccups. Imagine if it got established on a US aircraft carrier for instance. Not that I’d expect a much of a death toll among a young and healthy crew, but just how fast it would spread in such quarters and such.
US Military can all receive Remdesivir for free courtesy of President Trump. They’ll be fine.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-13-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I’m amazed at how unprepared the government is.
It took weeks to plan and evacuate Canadians from China, the spending details (debt spending/“fiscal stimulus”) by government is still being worked out, EI coverage is being debated...

The list goes on and on.

Post SARS I think the health care system really prepared itself, however I think the politicians just kicked the can down the road for a whole lot of obvious and highly predictable issues.
I would say AHS was well prepared after the SARS outbreak. I at one time was well trained on these protocols however each outbreak is different so there is only so much you can plan for. A big part was the hospital administration staff dragging their feet, budget and supply management issues. One thing to remember almost all medical supplies have a shelf life and have to be constantly rotated so its very hard to maintain a stockpile solely for an emergency situation. The average person might not think twice about using gloves, masks or bandages that are a month past the expiry date but to medical facility it is a huge issue.
Currently I have no idea what the current official protocols are but I would say if AHS was able to maintain them as well as a proper rotation of stocks I would say Alberta is in a pretty good state of readiness.

Politically though we are doomed as long as Trudope remains in charge unless he grows some balls and starts acting like a leader.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-13-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have been reading about that, as I had the same question. The majority of doctors I read said that they do not think so, as the body builds an immunity, hence your recovery. There was one report out of China of a lady who appeared to have it twice, but epidemiologists feel that she wasn't fully recovered from the first bout and her symptoms appeared improved, but it came back.
Ok but then can you still be a carrier? That it lays dormant so to speak? Well that bodes well in at least you won't be sick for the rest of tour life if you have a large family haha
Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Letter to Sophie,

Dear Sophie,

And if you are sick to your stomach, please do your best to vomit in his mouth. Canada needs you at this moment. Rise up to serve your people.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Zip
Simple, close the door. If you willingly leave any country while there is a pandemic going on, the onus is on you to be prepared to not be allowed back in. Canada should have sealed the border as soon as China quarantined 60m people. 1 week to get back here from Europe by plane, and 1 week to get back here from USA by any method. After that the door is closed, no planes or vehicles allowed into Canada.

Canada is facing a 35-70% infection rate. I would have much rather left people stranded then put people here who were minding their own business at risk.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Ok but then can you still be a carrier? That it lays dormant so to speak? Well that bodes well in at least you won't be sick for the rest of tour life if you have a large family haha
Who really knows at this point? I am preparing my household to be shut down for a month. Beyond that, what can one really do? Hold on for the ride whatever may come.