Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Default Marcum LX-3 or Hummingbird ice 45?

Which do you guys think is better and why? Have a couple hundred dollars in gift cards to spend at Bass Pro, want to get a flasher.

PS: if anyone works there and can get me a discount...I'm all ears
Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM

marcum is higher quality imho, i would stay away from the showdown tho, ive seen 3 come back at wss in 5 months 2 of them had feathers? and finger prints on the inside of the screen.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 PM

The ice 45 has the dual frequency transducer and a digital readout which are both a big plus. The ice 45 does not come with a soft case and has less power that the Marcum. The Marcum comes with the soft pac and also the digital charger which is 50 bucks by itself. Has more power and better target separation (1 inch in zoom mode vs 2.5 for the bird) but only a single, 20 degree frequency transducer.

I'd be tempted to get the Bird for the dual frequency alone but once you get a soft case and a decent charger for it you could buy the Marcum LX5 which is arguably the best flasher you can buy.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM

I bought the Lx3-tc from Bass pro last week and im very happy with it, easy to use, feels robust and the fully adjustable zoom is very good. I had 17 fish last week dont think i would ice fish without it now
Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM

I would get the markum LX-5 if you could. 3/4 " seperation instead of 2.5 " on the hummingbird 55. Both have auto zoom, on different sections of water. Markum LX-5 and Hummingbird 55 is running around $600. Markum definately better.
PS. I work part time at Bass Pro. The name is Brian, might have seen me around in the fishing department. Discount, probably hard to get. They don't seem to give them on electronics or high end rods or reels even for me. Sry.
PPS. LX-3 still really good flasher, LX-5 is the newer model.
PPSS. LX-3 would be better than the hummingbird 45. Higher power output and frequency rating.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM

Well I bought the LX-3 from bass pro. $400 tax in. Had $250 worth of gift cards, so not a bad deal for me

Will be going to Pine on saturday and can't wait to use it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM

nice i also just bought the lx-3 from BPS $389 + tax = $409. i also can't wait to put it into use too.