Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Exclamation Whitefish Tips

Hey everyone.
Im planning on targeting some Whites tomorrow at Rattlesnake...
BUT, i have NEVER caught one of these water lurkers through the ice.
What kind of structure, depth, bait, etc is best for whites?

I see them on my flasher suspended around 10ft from the ice surface quite often, but i dont know how to target them and gain attention...

any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm just in the process are figuring out the same thing.

Here's a good thread from a year ago, with good wire worm info:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=26128

This thread has good info on the Wetaskiwin Special:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=46721

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it...
I am still trying to find out what depths, and structures they like to hang around... im sure they can be caught on more than wire worms and wet specials...?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Just wondering if you have an underwater camera? If so you will have better luck. I am no expert as I have only targetted them a few times and all at Forty Mile and Newell. Have not been able to find them in good numbers at Rattlesnake although I know they are in there. Neighbour went out beginning of December during their span and had a couple dozen come to the hole but nothing biting. Next day went to the same spot and not one fish

Camera helps as you can see right away if they are in the area but found best along the rocky dams and over weed beds up to 20 ft deep. Seems that the ones near the surface are more aggressive and will bite where as the ones cruising the bottom are just cruising. I would try along the big dame first and then maybe head out to the sunken islands. If anything you should find some pike by the islands if the white fish are not around.

Let us know how you make out as I would love to come and help search but cannot until this weekend. Promissed my kids Spruce Saturday but with this snow the gate may be locked again.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Thanks Muley Monster.
I have my own blog. the link is below... i will post an update asap when i get back from fishing tomorrow on there...

thanks for your info i appreciate it!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleyMonster View Post
Just wondering if you have an underwater camera? If so you will have better luck. I am no expert as I have only targetted them a few times and all at Forty Mile and Newell. Have not been able to find them in good numbers at Rattlesnake although I know they are in there. Neighbour went out beginning of December during their span and had a couple dozen come to the hole but nothing biting. Next day went to the same spot and not one fish

Camera helps as you can see right away if they are in the area but found best along the rocky dams and over weed beds up to 20 ft deep. Seems that the ones near the surface are more aggressive and will bite where as the ones cruising the bottom are just cruising. I would try along the big dame first and then maybe head out to the sunken islands. If anything you should find some pike by the islands if the white fish are not around.

Let us know how you make out as I would love to come and help search but cannot until this weekend. Promissed my kids Spruce Saturday but with this snow the gate may be locked again.
just a slight movement of a wireworm on an interested white will scare it off. i wouldn't suggest having a probe or camera down the hole when sightfishing for whites-- but that's my opinion . what does everyone else think.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Never had issues with my fish shaped camera. Had a lot of good close ups of whitefish. Look for Sand flats and a mix of weed in 4 to 8 feet in the morning. Don't be afraid to go shallower, often you will find super aggressive whites in 1-2 feet of water early in the morning. In the reservoirs try around the inlet, always done well. Good luck.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM

is anyone familliar with Rattlesnake lake, any good spots to target them on this lake?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
just a slight movement of a wireworm on an interested white will scare it off. i wouldn't suggest having a probe or camera down the hole when sightfishing for whites-- but that's my opinion . what does everyone else think.
Me thinks they better be biting this weekend.

Also World Wide needs to drill the holes straight.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 01-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Also World Wide needs to drill the holes straight.[/QUOTE]

oh good, im not the only one that drills crooked holes lol hahahaha
Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drano View Post
Me thinks they better be biting this weekend.

Also World Wide needs to drill the holes straight.
DRANO -- it ain't gonna happen-- i suggest YOU drill the holes.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM

I just figure its easier to drag a big fish up an inclined hole, less strain on the line

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I just figure its easier to drag a big fish up an inclined hole, less strain on the line
TRUE - but when you're sightfishi'n you can't see down worldwides 75 degree holes.