Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Upper Kananaskis next week

Just wondering what the fly/lure of choice would be for this lake. Going there the long weekend. We fished there earlier this month when it was hot and there was nothing biting at all. At least I couldn't figure out what it was. Jumping and rolling all over the place, but not taking anything I presented. I tried leeches, deep. nymphs. some dry...elk hair caddis, etc...and they just ignored them all. I even trolled with willowleaf and a doc spratley. Everyone else I talked to was getting skunked as well.
Last year I caught a real nice Cutty on a dark leach just off the rocks.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Hi Dave. If you are after bulls, you should try some big klausser minnows. Any color that imitates a minnow. Also try a big rabbit fur strip streamer. Any color. Thats what ive been useing this season and have had some great luck. A fly so large Ive had other fishermen see my big white rabbit fur streamer from half a kilometer away as i was casting. One fellow asked if i was having any luck with that big white monster. was i ever. Biggest bull ...26 inch. a few 23-24s and a bunch of "smaller" 20 plus.
Good luck on the Kan!!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 PM

Try red copper johns...... I've been having great luck with them when they are jumping and rolling.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Fishtix; I've never caught a bull. Interesting though...I just might try that. And Mark....cool...thanks for the tip. I'll try and pick up one of those as well.