Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Default When Looking for Lake Whitefish

As most summer time Whitefish anglers know you have to work had some days to find them .. well that was the case last week as my 2 youngest boys and I went looking to a new/old lake.... its been 5 yrs ago I fished it and 20 years before that .. the lake has not changed it does not give up its secrets easy .. we got skunked on the Lake Whitefish .. did not even see any rising ..

Nate got one Walleye C&R and Jeremiah got a weed lmao .. guess the Pelican's fish it out as they were there in 2 groups of 4

Fishing is just that and even I get skunked some days

But hey that's fishing

David
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

I've been fishing whitefish over at mcgregor and travers since May, and let me tell you this, lake whites in the summer become very lethargic due to an increase in water temperature. During the spring, I would catch 40-50 lake whites easily in a day, now, I'll be lucky to land 4. Unless you're fishing for whites in a colder lake like Talbot, it'll be damn hard to land one. I've had the most luck with landing whites during early morning/late night in the summer when the tempearture is still low. After about 10AM and it starts to get warm...... good luck....

By the way, what did you mean by "didn't even see them rising"? From my experiences, Lake whites are always chilling at the bottom. I've never seen one come up to the surface and feed on insects.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Gslice ..Talbot is mostly 4 ft in spots and very warm so you can sight fish them like Bone fishing on the flats and they will be rising when hunting/feeding .. in other lakes like Gregg you will see the surface feeding at times in the early morning or when the hatches are happening .. I allways watch to see where they are feeding/where the hatch is on.. I use nymphs when fly fishing .. but have caught them on small spoons and Mepp spinners when using spin cast.. and in deeper water
here is my son and I and friend fly fishing Lake Whitefish
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...Lake+whitefish

by the sounds of it your fishing in 20 fow just like ice fishing

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
I've been fishing whitefish over at mcgregor and travers since May, and let me tell you this, lake whites in the summer become very lethargic due to an increase in water temperature. During the spring, I would catch 40-50 lake whites easily in a day, now, I'll be lucky to land 4. Unless you're fishing for whites in a colder lake like Talbot, it'll be damn hard to land one. I've had the most luck with landing whites during early morning/late night in the summer when the tempearture is still low. After about 10AM and it starts to get warm...... good luck....

By the way, what did you mean by "didn't even see them rising"? From my experiences, Lake whites are always chilling at the bottom. I've never seen one come up to the surface and feed on insects.

Last edited by Speckle55; 07-18-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Interesting... I have seen fish jumping out of the water early in the morning to feed. I just never would have guessed it was a lake white. I've always thought they were trout (yes, I have caught rainbows in Mcgregor oddly enough). But yes, in Travers Reservoir, i usually fish in 7m (23ft) of water for whitefish, and you couldn't keep them off your line in late spring.

Since you've mentioned they feed on the surface, I'm gonna assume you use dry flies in the summer to catch them?

By the way, those are some mad size whites. Travers definitely has the quantity, but it seems like Talbot takes home the quality