Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 AM

Default How did you get started in Fishing?

How did you all get started in Fishing?

For myself I can say thanks to my Uncle K and Cousin M for taking me out as a kiddo on Boats and on Ice, with, My favorite experience wasn't even catching a fish but my uncle saying I was the best kid he had taken fishing as would I shut up and fish. Now that I am 18 I am heading out more by myself and I'm thinking of how grateful I am for two experienced fishermen to teach me almost everything I know about catching fish. I don't think I would have 4 Aquariums, around me and the urge to head out on the water and hook the big one without them. Cheers Uncle K and Cousin M.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 AM

i can remember my grandfather cpo michael p pickin me up after school ever since kindergarten and takin me trout fishin at hermitage that and fishin from the pier at our cabin on nakamun lake and believe me i remember gettin some real gooders there pike and perch back in those days it was fairly common to get a pike 15 to 20 pounds god id love to see that lake bounce back such solid memories r.i.p. grandpa
Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 AM

Fell in the water when I was 3 years old, came up with a fish clenched in my teeth.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM

i started hunting 3 years ago and stumbled across these forums. after hunting season ended.. i picked up ice fishing and the rest is history.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Way back when my Dad and Uncles would have a week long Family reunion at Sturgeon Lake. They would take us fishing everyday for Jack & Walleye.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 PM

Dad handed me a pocket fisherman at Medicine Lake with a 5 of diamonds on it about 40 years ago. I was 5 or 6 years old at the time. May have been a time or two earlier, but I can't recall.

I eventually caught a 3 pound jackfish......there was no such thing as Northern Pike or Walleye back then.....only jacks, pickerel, and trout (non-specific).

You have not fished until you have boated a 10 pound pike on a Popeil (RONCO) Pocket Fishermen. They still make them I think.

They were wicked for internal tangled messes. Dad never got to fish much on his own, most of his time was spent untangling messes and removing hooks from life jackets, kids, and once....a cat. Don't ask.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 07-16-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM

catching rock bass off the bridge at our family cabin in Ont, using dew worms and crayfish with a big ole red and white bobber
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 PM

I started fishing in the early to mid 1980s as a kid with my dad. We mostly fished in Northern BC in a tinner for rainbow trout and squawfish and lake trout in remote lakes. Through university and into adulthood I didn't fish but got back into it 9 years ago and have been fanatical ever since.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Older brother in the 50"s YIKES I'm OLD
Old 07-17-2013, 02:34 PM

Default A mere 63 yrs ago

The year of the big Winnipeg flood ,lots of fish caught in the back waters
Of Netley marsh ....go in there in a rowboat .....in those days live minnows
Big drum, big cats ,pretty big pike ,,I was three but apparently was wired...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 PM

Step dad bought me my first rod on my fifth birthday. We went down to the nsr out by devon and I caught my first fish. Goldeye on a small five o diamonds. Still to this day my favorite lure! Ever since Ive been "hooked".
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Good buddy of mine took me ice fishin about 20yrs ago, did a bunch more bow river fishin summer later and have been hooked ever since......now have the 11 yr old out fishin me most times, now settin up the 6yr old to start beatin me arse..
Old 07-17-2013, 08:12 PM

Started fishing with my dad, and have a few memorable moments from that. For him though it was mostly drinking beer and jigging the same dead patch of lake all day. Pretty boring for a kid, though I loved eating walleye and perch so I guess that's what got me hooked. Eating the tasty treats. Once we moved to BC, dad's boat was parked after the 2nd year. No live well regulation irked him, and the fact that all the decent lakes had horrible roads. Besides Babine and Francios which required knowledge and equipment my dad didn't feel like investing in, he took up golfing. I only fish with him in the spring now, when the golf course is flooded.

A friend of mine got me back into fishing after a long lul due to pop's golfing addiction. Caught my first steelhead opening day at the confluence of the Bulkley and Morice Rivers. It did the whole jump 3 feet out of the water, sit in mid air level thing and I was hooked again. Wasn't a pretty fish that time of year, yellow and spawned out but what a fight still. Ever since I've been on the river whenever I had a chance.

Buddy who got me hooked again has graced the covers of three magazines when he was living in Terrace. The man can pull a fish out of a mud puddle with his shoe lace and a stick.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM

I don't even remember my first time fishing. Been doin it since I was old enough to hold a pole in my hand I guess.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 AM

My old man for me.

Ever since I can remember, and there's pictures of me as a 3 year old popped up beside pops with my dinosaur rod on the boat huge smiles on both our faces.

Thanks dad, love you.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM

my youngest days fishing were with my Mom as dad was at work she would take my older brother and I to the Lake just a short walk from home..

Later my Dad was my buddy and took me both hunting and fishing on Saturdays in fall

got some fine instruction from the local Master anglers at local Sports Store and info

David
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM

My Grandpa took me fishing when I was about 5 years old at Alberta Beach. Loved being in the boat catching Jacks and Pickerels. Back then they were much more numerous and you would catch something with every cast basically. How could you not love it! RIP Grandpa
Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM

My Dad starting taking me out when I was a youngster, about 5 or 6.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Banned

Was in a canoe on dragon lake in bc on day 3.

Shon!