Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Quantum Aztec Baitcast Reel

Does anyone know anything about these reels, how they perform etc?

I actually just bought one because they are on sale at Cabelas for $45. They are regular $90 and to me felt like they were a decent enough reel. I tried researching but I find nothing on this reel even on Quantum's website, only place it shows up is as for sale at cabelas, fishinhole, canadian tire etc with no reviews so I am guessing it is brand new.

Anyways was just wondering if anyone knew anything about them and also letting people know they can get what looks to be a decent enough reel for dirt cheap right now. Note they only come in RHR and 7.0 ratio so have limited applications but if that suits you then might want to check it out.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:47 PM

Reason you can't find them is cause they most might have been discountinued. They do that so they can come out with pretty much the same reel but with a different model number. That is why Can Tire most likely has em in stock. They probably will put it on at 50 to 60% off as well.

Does not indicate a poor reel, just the way they market now a days.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Reason you can't find them is cause they most might have been discountinued. They do that so they can come out with pretty much the same reel but with a different model number. That is why Can Tire most likely has em in stock. They probably will put it on at 50 to 60% off as well.

Does not indicate a poor reel, just the way they market now a days.
Ah, I think I have it figured out now. Looks like it is a new slightly modified Canadian version of the Quantum code hence why it only shows up on the Canadian selling sites right now and no reviews.

The code has decent reviews so pretty happy with this buy, at $45 you can't go wrong.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 PM

They are on sale now for $39... they are like the Antix..with the flippin switch

Regular $89

Sale till Aug 5 th for 39
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 PM

Since you bumped this here are a few comments on the reel.

1 disappointment is the brake dial, it has dots that make you think it is adjustable 1-9 but in reality only is adjustable in 3's(0,3,6,9).

I was hoping this reel would work decent with lighter lures as I was going to use it for a trout setup. It isn't really adjustable enough for this and like my other baitcaster has trouble throwing light lures. I still use it as my trout reel and for walleye when I am jigging etc without a leader.

The flippin switch is actually a nice feature although it takes a while to get used to(old habits die hard...). I use it in flipping mode most of the time now.

Overall it isn't a great reel but for $40 you can't really complain. If you are like me and hate spinning reels, are disgusted by the quality of spin cast reels and don't want to spend the big bucks on a good quality baitcaster then this reel might be right for you lol.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:31 PM

id have to say.. for $40.. it is a heckuva bottom bouncing reel. I prefer Shimano Baitcasters... but couldnt pass up this reel for $39 regular $89.