Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Default Dog Chewing Deterrent

Ok, my youngest dog is on his last life with me. He keeps chewing the wooden siding off our deck. I have caught him a few times and gave him heck, but he keeps going back to it. I tried putting hot sauce on there, but he still keeps chewing it. Other than trying to figure out a way to put an electrical current through the deck so it zaps him when he bites it, or putting mousetraps all around the deck to snap his paws, I need ideas. Hahaha

He has plenty of chew toys. My other dog does not chew the deck. haha

Anyone have a homemade recipe to spray on there or any other ideas so he won't want to chew it anymore. Other than that he is an awesome dog.

thanks for any advice
Old 03-14-2018, 09:25 AM

Give him a quick shot of dog spray when you catch him... Should change the mindset pretty quick.

For real, though, sounds like he has too much energy... I know, I know, everyone always knows better, but from my experience, my dog was a chewer, and once I started running him, or taking him swimming and fetching, the chewing stopped.

I don't have any advice for a deterrent, although maybe spraying some of that dog spray on the item chewed will deter him.. But he may just find something new to chew.

J
Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 AM

What breed?

I found the biggest thing when my lab was a pup was to keep him well exercised. As long as he had his walks he was fine. Don't walk him in the am and leave for the day, we found some interesting results around the house!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Banned

Bored dogs are the ones that tend to be destructive.

I've never understood the reasoning for giving dogs toys. Give the dog a raw meaty bone instead.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM

I have used "Bitter Apple" spray available at pet stores. It works for my dogs.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

Tinfoil, no one like's chewing on that stuff!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Similar issue here. Don't think it's boredom I'm my case. He's 1 year old and loves eating the bathmat, hand towels, throw pillows. I think part of it is the game of parading things around the house wanting someone to chase him. I believe he also loves the soft texture. Bitter apple does work for my guy. I hope he outgrows this. He also steals shoes.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 AM
Banned

Well could be worse. My wife has a good crying fit every couple of days because our youngest dog is really good at catching cats. She's also really good at getting all nine lives of the cat at once lol. I think my dog is a real good dog but I can't show it.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Well could be worse. My wife has a good crying fit every couple of days because our youngest dog is really good at catching cats. She's also really good at getting all nine lives of the cat at once lol. I think my dog is a real good dog but I can't show it.
Can I borrow your dog??? My neighborhood is over run with cats! My kids are trying to raise rabbits, but very seldom that any make it to adulthood, because when they start running around the neighborhood cats eat them! I've even put electric fence around my yard but some cats still seem to get in.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:46 AM

You could always try an E collar. You'll have to catch him in the act and pretty much watch him for awhile every time you let him out but could work. If you do try this way just make sure you research how to use them properly before hand.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 AM

Excellent advice here.

His is a dobermann, lab, rottweiler rescue dog. Now 16 months.

Our dogs get walked in the am between 6-8 then again at offleash with us or dogwalker between 11-2. Then again in the evening. They get lots of exercise and are very friendly and happy dogs.

I did use the shock collar to correct his recall which worked well. I have been trying it in the yard but the hard part is catching him actually chewing the deck. I will keep trying that and also try spraying different stuff on the deck.

For now I put up boards so he cannot get at it.

This is the type of siding he is ripping off.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
Excellent advice here.

Our dogs get walked in the am between 6-8 then again at offleash with us or dogwalker between 11-2. Then again in the evening. They get lots of exercise and are very friendly and happy dogs.

I did use the shock collar to correct his recall which worked well. I have been trying it in the yard but the hard part is catching him actually chewing the deck. I will keep trying that and also try spraying different stuff on the deck.

Exercise is great, but dogs need more than exercise.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
Excellent advice here.

How about ripping up some 2x2 lengths of cedar or hemlock. Get him chasing those. Have a few laying around in the yard. A friend has two Rottweilers. They're older now and have grown out of it but they chewed the heck out her deck, baseboards and even drywall. Either it's the taste or the texture, but cedar and hemlock worked. But once the squared edges were gone they wanted fresh pieces.

Colin
Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Can I borrow your dog??? My neighborhood is over run with cats! My kids are trying to raise rabbits, but very seldom that any make it to adulthood, because when they start running around the neighborhood cats eat them! I've even put electric fence around my yard but some cats still seem to get in.
She gets along with the rabbit or did but rabbit was in the cage. My crematorium has been working over time. Electric fencer makes the cats puff up real good and a funny sound comes out of them. Wet grass helps.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:48 PM

Tabasco sauce...
Old 03-14-2018, 06:19 PM

Make it scary to chew on the deck. Set up some noisy tin/pop cans on a trip wire so they will fall on him if he goes in to chew. It worked for me to break a dog of getting into the garbage.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:42 PM

I had a similar issue with my Dog when he was younger and I sprayed my wooden outside log furniture with Hot sauce! Worked like a dam!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:23 PM

If you spray it with ghost pepper sauce there is no way that dog will chew it. Never.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If you spray it with ghost pepper sauce there is no way that dog will chew it. Never.
I'd like to see what a lab would do, likely have it down the hatch before it knows what's up. Then there will be a trail of brown stuff all over.

Youtube that for me
Old 03-14-2018, 08:00 PM

Put the shock collar on and set a trap for the lil bugger and then light him up. It has to be memorable tho so make it count
Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 AM

I did spray it with hot sauce, but he still ate it.

I like the idea of setting up a trip wire. hahaha. Hopefully I can get it on video. hahahaha.