Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Default AMBER alert - battleford

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4826174

Hope she’s found safe.. share anywhere or everywhere you can
Old 09-16-2018, 08:34 PM

North Battleford RCMP have issued an Amber Alert for six-year-old Emma O'Keeffe.

The girl is described as having brown, chin-length hair and was last seen wearing a navy-blue, long sleeve T-shirt, black jeans, pink socks, no shoes, and was wearing a diaper. She is three feet six inches tall and is 44 pounds.

O'Keeffe suffers from epilepsy and autism and police say she is non-verbal and unable to walk.

Keep your eyes peeled the SUV is stolen
Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 PM

This Emergency Alert just scared a crap out of my family when our cell phones went crazy with sirens! Wow!
I hope she is found safe and sound.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
This Emergency Alert just scared a crap out of my family when our cell phones went crazy with sirens! Wow!
I hope she is found safe and sound.

Agreed. Almost had to implement operation bug out.
God speed to all those looking for this Young girl.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:28 AM

At 7:30 this morning, North Battleford radio 93.3 said she had been found. Apparently she is doing fine.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 AM

What a relief that she’s back with her family. Now as for the person who kidnapped her, even though it was was likely inadvertent and they only intended to steal the car ......... I hope the gloves are taken off by the judge and the offender or offenders spend some real time in jail, mitigating circumstances be damned.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
What a relief that she’s back with her family. Now as for the person who kidnapped her, even though it was was likely inadvertent and they only intended to steal the car ......... I hope the gloves are taken off by the judge and they spend some real time in jail, mitigating circumstances be damned.
X2...

However nothing has been said about the mom and why the child was left in the car or was this a car jacking?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
X2...

However nothing has been said about the mom and why the child was left in the car or was this a car jacking?

My understanding is that the vehicle was left running with her in it, I’m guessing it was probably a crime of opportunity and hopefully the offender had the crap scared out of them by what they had done when they realized they had committed a kidnapping. The likelihood of a random car thief also being a pedophile is probably rather remote so of course I hope that she was unharmed in that regard.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
My understanding is that the vehicle was left running with her in it, I’m guessing it was probably a crime of opportunity and hopefully the offender had the crap scared out of them by what they had done when they realized they had committed a kidnapping. The likelihood of a random car thief also being a pedophile is probably rather remote so of course I hope that she was unharmed in that regard.
Crime capitol of Canada

A car left running and unlocked in North Battleford would have a 100% chance of being stolen in about 5 mins.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Crime capitol of Canada

A car left running and unlocked in North Battleford would have a 100% chance of being stolen in about 5 mins.
Especially a nice Mercedes!

I wonder if the thief flat out didn't realize she was back there till they had driven off a few blocks, it did say she was non-verbal (although one would have thought she would start crying?).

Gotta think in that situation, you drive back, say oh my god didn't realize she was in there, admit to stealing a car, take the slap on the wrist (judge would probably be extra lenient for turning self in) rather than take the kidnapping charge. Sheesh.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM

Leaving a child in a running car qualifies you for the stupid parent award. I'm sure the last thing the thief thought about was stealing a kid. I'm glad she's ok. People break windows on vehicles with pets in them. Does this lady even pay attention to the kid when they're home? Sorry to sound harsh but I'm a super protective parent with a new one on the way. I would never leave an opportunity for something like this to happen.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Leaving a child in a running car qualifies you for the stupid parent award. I'm sure the last thing the thief thought about was stealing a kid. I'm glad she's ok. People break windows on vehicles with pets in them. Does this lady even pay attention to the kid when they're home? Sorry to sound harsh but I'm a super protective parent with a new one on the way. I would never leave an opportunity for something like this to happen.
I don't think you sound harsh at all.
On the one hand...glad that the child was found safe.
On the other hand the parents should be required to take a course in how to properly raise a child. Good grief...this stuff is in the news every week, yet the number of times I park in a Safeway parking lot next to a running car with toddlers or infants strapped in the back just astounds me.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Banned

How about holding the criminal accountable for their actions............
Old 09-17-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
How about holding the criminal accountable for their actions............
Car theft has become almost normal like texting and driving it's only against the law for some people not me.
The courts give laughable sentences for car theft steal 60K cash you do time, steal a 60k car maybe community service or probation. It was a happy ending the child was unhurt and if caught the perp will be facing serious jail time.......... I hope.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Thumbs down

We had nightmares about this last night, thinking about what could have happened to the child.
What a horrific terrible thing to have happen to anyone. No pointing fingers or making excuses, just imagine being the mother, father, grandparent today. We just hope she was not hurt at all.

North Battleford is such a hole. I absolutely hate going there for any reason.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 PM

I was not excusing them, I was theorizing the primary motivation. It was a crime of opportunity and the individual was probably high, drunk and potentially was born to fetal alcohol syndrome. All that being said I still think it's a hanging crime, if only we had such options.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Banned

I’m glad to hear this worked out for the child and her family. Scared the crap out of me last night. I fell asleep with my phone on my chest. Wew! It’s never done that before! I now know what to listen for! Hopefully this latest experience makes criminals more aware to look in the back seat for kids before they rip a car off. Maybe the government can raise awareness on their big digital promotion signs everywhere and instead of the drivel that always says the obvious it could say before you borrow someone’s vehicle remove the children first and play it safe.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 PM

Default update perp is in the wind

Saskatchewan RCMP – Amber Alert Follow-up
2018-09-17
11:00 a.m.
------------------

This morning at approximately 6:45 am, members of the North Battleford Detachment received information from workers in a remote, industrial area within the city limits, of a vehicle parked off a paved road in some bushes. The vehicle matched the description of the missing vehicle in the Amber Alert.
Members attended to the area with EMS personnel and located the subject of the Amber Alert inside the vehicle.
The child was located conscious and taken to hospital to be examined and reunited with her family. She has since been discharged from hospital.
The vehicle was located and reported to police in response to the Amber Alert. It is not known at this time how long the vehicle was in the area before it was located or where else it may have travelled.
We currently do not have any suspects in custody, however this investigation remains ongoing with assistance from Major Crime - North, North Battleford GIS and Forensic Identification Sections.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Default Caught!

A 19-year-old man from North Battleford is facing a raft of charges after a girl's overnight disappearance sparked an Amber Alert and a frantic search throughout the province last Sunday.
Johnathan Ryann Gunville has been charged with the abduction of a person under 14, unlawful confinement, abandoning a child, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and theft of a motor vehicle, possession of property obtained by crime, evading a police officer and driving while disqualified. He's also facing eight counts of failure to comply with a probation order.

These charges stem from the Sept. 16 Amber Alert, and from two other vehicle thefts on Sept. 19 and 20.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...lice-1.4834566

Looks like a winner
https://www.facebook.com/johnathanryanngunville

Last edited by bat119; 09-21-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM

Perp's Facebook page is still open, I guess he can't sign in from where he is

Edit: Oops, bat already linked buddies FB.

Its amazing how well people can communicate how astonishingly stupid they are just by using social media. Based on this guys page there would be no net loss to humanity if he stopped stealing oxygen.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-21-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 PM

THEY BETTER MAKE THE CHARGES STICK.

If they do, I think he will have a very short stint in jail, snuf rings a bell.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-21-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
THEY BETTER MAKE THE CHARGES STICK.

If they do, I think he will have a very short stint in jail, snuf rings a bell.
On his FB he got of jail on Aug. 22 did 156 days I guess he didn't learn anything maybe some hard time in the big house will help although I doubt it.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:07 AM

The man on the radio says the alleged perp comes up in front of a judge today.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
The man on the radio says the alleged perp comes up in front of a judge today.
Oops, got that a bit wrong. He comes up in front of a judge on tuesday morning for a bail hearing.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 AM

Global news this morning reported that since the car theft with the little girl in it and before his arrest on friday he two MORE auto thefts, so three in one week. And after getting out less than a month ago. But his lawyer says he has social problems !!! Yah right.