Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Bin der, donr that.
Shortened the butt stock on the 300 WinMag A-bolt by about 3/8 of an inch .
Had a grouse at 25 yrds and popped him with a head shot, missed (not by much) and the muzzle blast tumbled it head over heals.
Put the gun in the truck and went to retrieve the bird doing the funky dance.
Then I felt something on my eye brow and wiped it off ..realized I was bleeding and when my attention returned to the Grouse, it got back on its feet and flocked off.
Oh well it was good for a chuckle and no scars.
Rob
Old 09-30-2017, 05:38 PM

I like my Ziess for the eye relief.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Once when I was a kid with my Dad's old 303.

Only caused a bruise, but I never did it again
Old 09-30-2017, 06:01 PM

Default Ok ..... I admit

Had it happen once with my 338 in hunting circumstances. Follow up shot, poor form and not a great eye relief on the scope. Didn't get a full blown gusher like I've seen but it did bleed a little. After a Few minutes it looked like I had bumped my head. No tell tale ring or semi circle
Old 09-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
I like my Ziess for the eye relief.
I think it's commonly called zeiss eye. Never had either, thankfully.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:41 PM

Two years ago my wife scoped herself taking a shot at a deer ( who got away) and her right eye looked terrible the next day.
The following day we were checked by the local conservation agent for routine road check in the bush. He kept staring at her. She caught on explained what happened two days before.
He didn't seem to buy it by the looks he gave me!
Old 09-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock5849 View Post
Two years ago my wife scoped herself taking a shot at a deer ( who got away) and her right eye looked terrible the next day.
The following day we were checked by the local conservation agent for routine road check in the bush. He kept staring at her. She caught on explained what happened two days before.
He didn't seem to buy it by the looks he gave me!
Awesome story. Had the pleasure of taking my then new girlfriend to the hospital for a couple stitches from walking into a door at work. The doctor kinda gave me a look while he was stitching, but nothing was said. And just for the record, there's actually video of her walking into the door, just in case it went to court lol
Old 09-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Lucky enough to have never had a shooters shiner.
Did have one clip the brim of my ball cap once. Kinda been overly cautious of it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2017, 08:13 PM

Never had any marks from but did have a pair of sunglasses cracked after the scope slammed into them. Never really realized just how close the scope was coming to my face until that. After that I always made sure to hold proper shooting position with that gun.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:13 PM

Probably 10 years ago now. Looking through my see-through rings with rifle on the bench. Face was a bit too close and got a nice gash above my left eye brow. Blood running down my nose. Thanksgiving dinner later on LOL.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:11 PM

I've never been scoped before but I did manage to bust myself in my nose / teeth while shooting skeet with pistol grip on my 12g. My brother bet me I couldn't double with the pistol grip so I took him up on it. Busted the first one then swung on the second and brought the gun way too close to my face and busted my lip . Man did my head ever snap back...IIRC I missed the second bird
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 PM

Enough...over a dozen with all being big bores.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:39 PM

Never. But I'm all about comfort and downsized to an 8.25 pound 6.5x55 Mauser 98 now! Lol
Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 PM

My first time shooting a gun was an old coey shotgun an aunt let me shoot with no instructions. Decided to brace my shoulder against a tree and keep the butt 6” away. Holy cow did that deeply bruise my 10 year old, 80lb body.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:30 PM

Scope eye? Luckily my doctor is good with small stitches and I barely have a scar. Eyebrows bleed like hell!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 AM

I avoid this by choosing my scopes wisely, and by mounting them properly. The worst cuts that I have seen, were the result of Leupold scopes, that thin metal eyepiece tends to cut much worse than the rubber eyepiece that many manufacturers use.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:18 AM

If you saw this episode of "Alaska the Last Frontier" you just knew this was going to happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPU93TNmvMU
Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 AM

once with my new 30-06, thought I had the eye relief perfect. that one was a bleeder.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:21 AM

Default Scope Bite

It happened to me when I was young and very inexperienced, shooting up a steep slope. Hunting partners gun. It opened real good, I tried to tough it out,
but it's hard to ignore drops that big. The guy said after, yeh that gun kicks up
bad. Got 8 stiches at the old CNP hospital. I went to work the next and the old
supervisor took one look at me and said "what size gun you shoot boy"
Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Idiot mark

After I got my idiot mark and got my deer dressed and loaded I drove to Calgary and went to a walk in clinic in the Temple area. I was still bleeding quite bad and they took me immediately into an examination room. When the receptionist asked what happened, she heard the words rifle and shot and she told me that she was required to report gun shot wounds to the police. I tried to explain it to her when another woman at the clinic agreed that it needed to be reported to the police. I was probably a bit loud when explaining what happened and attracted the doctor's attention. He come in laughing and told the ladies that this was not a gun shot wound but an idiot mark. As the doctor was a hunter I accepted his description. After a couple stitches he went outside with me and looked at my deer and we talked hunting for a few minutes.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 AM

In my much younger years, I watched an older gentleman a few benches over at the Camrose gun range, sighting in his new 300 Weatherby magnum Mark V.
He had a couple of old scope bites on his eyebrow, they were still scabbed over.
He was using about 3 to 4 inches of soft padding between the rifle and his shoulder. I just grinned and left it alone, thinking if a young pup like me, trys to give him any suggestions, I'll probably, not to politely, be told just where to go.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:31 AM

A buddy of mine and I were out hunting I saw him shoot at a white tail then run over to the fallen deer, when I caught up to him he had blood running down his face. Wow did you get scoped? no the deer kicked me in the face when I grabbed its leg. The hoof mark on his forehead needed 5 stitches and left a scar he can brag about.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Ruined Pictures

On my first caribou bull I saw the one I had to have moving pretty fast. I laid down to shoot prone but had not taken my frame pack off. The top bar was pushing my head down. It was a sako 7mm Mag. I knew the minute I lined up it was gonna hurt but the bull was gonna disappear outta my life forever. The pics are nice if you ignore the fact half my face is covered in blood and the front of my snow camo has red streaks all over it.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 PM

Default Terrible instructions for a first time shooter

Today went out with buddy and letting him try my 270 with a older Leupold XVII.. bang make a good hit on target as I was spotting .then I look over at him he got a cut the size of a half circle and blood was dripping it was pretty bad , he put a paper tower on it and We drive to the store to get some band aid to patch him up . I felt bad because I told him to put it against the shoulder and hold it firm he put it on the shoulder but was not square and the rifle recoil cause it to slide off to the outside
Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Bought a .300 win mag with a cheap scope. It just touched my eye brow. Held on tighter after that. And got a new scope
Old 09-03-2018, 11:59 PM

I have only just had my eyebrow slightly kissed with no marks afterwards.....shooting uphill while laying down would seem to be the ideal setup to get whacked....lol.
I have seen some of my buddy's get hit pretty hard with one guy been knocked out for a minute or two. I would think you might develop a slight flinch if you happen to get hit more then once.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 09-04-2018, 12:24 AM

I'm in that club, and have the crescent moon membership scar to prove it! Scars give you character, and girls love character (or so I've been told)!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:24 AM

Never happened to me but I had 2 friends come out to shoot at my range one day,I had my 300 rum out and buddy says he would like to shoot it so I let him,he put a pretty good cut in his eyebrow.Then my other friend shows up and is laughing at friend 1 and he says you try it,he says no problem.He cut his eyebrow also.Had a good laugh after the blood quit flowing.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 AM

High power rifles haven't been a problem for me. My TC Encore muzzle loader however has bumped me hard a few times, but never broke the skin. It is always when shooting it off the bench. Guess a full load of Triple7 and a 360 gr bullet will do that.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:13 AM

I haven’t had it happen it me, knock on wood with my luck. My 338 wm had me extra cautious first time firing it.