Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 01:47 PM

Default Canon Rebel What's it Worth?

Can some of you camera experts advise on this. PM is ok or comment on the thread.

Canon Rebel 18-55mm lens with image stabilizer. Like new. Just sitting in the closet. Too fancy for this guy.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Google search for xsi shows $99cad new with different lens.
Lens new is ~$135

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Hate to say it but for example trade in value where I work (McBain Camera) would be about $75...we'd resell it for about $150 max (that is with a three month warranty).
It's the bad thing about digital...it may have sat unused in your closet, but digital technology advances so fast that there are $200 point and shoot cameras that will easily outperform an old (in digital terms) Xsi.
I've gone through quite a few digital cameras as I've upgraded. More than a few times I've just found a deserving youngster who has in interest in photography and can't afford a camera and given him my old ones.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 PM

Wow, that’s used to be a $1000.00 camera set... have one as well, won it in a contest 5-6 years ago and maybe used a handful of times. Since my wife and daughter got their IPhones - they pretty much replaced anything else.
I remember I was offered $800 for this camera when I won it... should’ve sold it then...
Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 PM

I'd have to check the model number to be sure but I have what I believe to be an identical camera. It's been great, I've had it for many years.

I'd sugest you learn how to run it a little and use it and enjoy it. I'vetaken some fantastic photos with mine.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 AM
Banned

I have a T3i which is leaps and bounds above that camera, 2 generations newer than that one as well. Even mine is now considered horribly outdated as the T7i is out, and has been for a little bit now.
Find a family member or youth who wants it. Just the lenses by itself would maybe get you $20 if you're lucky.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:55 AM

So basically, there is no point to buy slr cameras anymore! The moment you forked out $1000 - they become obsolete and worth nothing a month later! You can buy a used one -almost new - for close to nothing this days I guess.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
So basically, there is no point to buy slr cameras anymore! The moment you forked out $1000 - they become obsolete and worth nothing a month later! You can buy a used one -almost new - for close to nothing this days I guess.
Correct. Spend your money on good lenses. They keep their value. The laws of physics still apply to glass.

I have Pentax FA* lenses which I will pass on to my heirs. It's worth more money than I paid for them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
So you never buy a computer or smartphone...the 'new' model is ready to go pretty much the minute you walk out the door with whatever is current.
The thing is not to get caught up in the 'I gotta have the latest'.
Take the XSi in the opening post...if it takes a photo that makes the person who owns it happy...what's the point of upgrading.
Too many people buy into the 'it's new...I gotta have it' mentality.
You think the new pickup you just bought isn't worth 25% less a year after you buy it.
It's what drives our consumerist society.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So you never buy a computer or smartphone...the 'new' model is ready to go pretty much the minute you walk out the door with whatever is current.
The thing is not to get caught up in the 'I gotta have the latest'.
Take the XSi in the opening post...if it takes a photo that makes the person who owns it happy...what's the point of upgrading.
Too many people buy into the 'it's new...I gotta have it' mentality.
You think the new pickup you just bought isn't worth 25% less a year after you buy it.
It's what drives our consumerist society.
True regarding cell phones and cars. The only thing is that I do use the car and the phone every day. I do use the digital camera maybe once or twice a year.... It is just too bulky to carry around versus the compact iPhone.
And I’m pretty sure that the iPhone has more pixels than my CAmera. Lol!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
True regarding cell phones and cars. The only thing is that I do use the car and the phone every day. I do use the digital camera maybe once or twice a year.... It is just too bulky to carry around versus the compact iPhone.
Plus, there are 30 year old cars and pickups still in use. There's even a few a lot older then that.

Yet I have six working computers sitting on a shelf in my basement because they can not run the latest and greatest software, the old software can not be updated, and no one will sell parts for those older computers or provide drivers so older peripherals can be used on the latest and greatest.

Just last week I was forced to retire yet another computer in working order, because most of it's software licenses were about to expire and they could not be renewed plus no new software would load on it. I could download updates but they wouldn't load.

And this new computer is driving me crazy. Nothing works like the old computers I've owned, it dictates to me how I can use every function, it limits what I can do, to the point that it would not allow me to run my printers install disk and microsoft offered no help whatsoever.

And that's only the beginning of the issues I've struggled with for the past four days.

I've never bought a car or truck that I couldn't just get in and turn the key and drive away.

I studied radio electronics in school. I had my own radio repair shop for a time. I've owned computers since the Apple 11E hit the market.

I've designed and built electronics circuits. I know what circuit board components cost and how long they can last. It galls me to have to spend $1,000 on electronics that I know cost no more then $100 to build.
And it galls me to retire electronic that I know should be able to run fine for another 100 years

I have a Canon XSI, it works but it's badly outdated. For me the learning curve on the new camera's is too steep and the price too high.

One positive thing, my old camera will run the new lenses and it can be restored, for 3/4 the cost of a new camera.
Then, as someone said, I will have a camera that will do half what my smart phone's camera will do.

Where is the value for the money. How does one justify charging well over $1,000 for a camera that cost maybe $90 dollars to build and that everyone knows will be outdated in less then one year?

That is what I'd like to know.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thing is, the number of pixels is not all that matters.
Your camera, because it has a much bigger sensor, may have fewer pixels, but the size of the individual pixels is much larger.
The number of pixels determines resolution...how sharp the photo looks.
Pixel-well size (the individual pixels) determines noise, meaning low light capability and color gamut.
So...if your phone and your camera both have 20mp (for example), under good lighting conditions the photos will look similar...but go into a low light situation and the phone falls apart compared to the camera.
Look at it this way...8x25 and 8x42 binoculars. Middle of the day...ones as good as the other. Dusk or dawn...which do you want.
The other thing is color gamut. The phone will record hundreds of thousands of different shades of a color...the camera, millions.
If your only going to look at the images on a phone or computer screen it's a moot point. But make a high quality print and you will see the difference...many more shade of each color become apparent with the photo from the camera.
So...family snaps and such...even I use my phone. But when I go on vacation and think I may be taking photos I'll want to enlarge and frame...the camera wins hands down.
End of photo course
Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 PM

Thank you for a lesson, lol! I actually didn’t know about all this little things. Fine, I will keep my Canon close by for those special moments!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Where is the value for the money. How does one justify charging well over $1,000 for a camera that cost maybe $90 dollars to build and that everyone knows will be outdated in less then one year?

That is what I'd like to know.
You're making it sound like this camera being outdated is a reflection of the entire industry making throw away components. The bottom line is the Rebel Xsi is over a decade old, and was an entry level camera to begin with. Digital cameras have advanced a lot over that time. Not fast enough to render last year's technology obsolete, the year to year changes are minimal. Still very capable of taking great pictures if a person knows how to use it.

After 5 years of owning a 7D I upgraded to the 7D II. They released 5 years apart and the biggest differences were a faster burst rate, better auto focus tracking and the ability to use the WiFi card to connect to my phone. All 3 features were a desirable upgrade for the photography I do. The 7D is still a great camera, and while it was replaced in my camera bag I hardly consider it being obsolete.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Thank you for a lesson, lol! I actually didn’t know about all this little things. Fine, I will keep my Canon close by for those special moments!
Hate to say it, but cameras as such seem to be on the way out, unless you're a serious photographer. Everyone just seems to pop up their phone. Got an old Canon film camera, lots to be found at yard sales, even digitals now.

Grizz
Old 09-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Hate to say it, but cameras as such seem to be on the way out, unless you're a serious photographer. Everyone just seems to pop up their phone. Got an old Canon film camera, lots to be found at yard sales, even digitals now.

Grizz
Your right as far as point and shoots go...they're dead.
But for example, the newly introduced 'Z' series Nikon...over $3K each. Not going to be available til November. Within a day of them being introduced we had 40 preordered.
Serious hobbyists (as well as pros of course) are still buying like there's no tomorrow.
Another thing that has really changed is how much hobbyists are willing to pay now. For example, the 300mm F2.8 lens. Primarily a sports and pro lens. At about $7000 each we used to sell a couple a year to newspapers, and freelance sports photographers. Now we sell that many a month, the vast majority going to hobbyists.
When you are out and about it looks like the camera is dead because of all the phones you see at events...but these are being used by people who in the past would have been using an Instamatic or...not taking pictures at all.

Last edited by bobtodrick; 09-18-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Yep, mine and my wife's iphone 8 pluses do NOT take anywhere near as good of pictures as XSI(daughters now), T3i/70D(son's now) and my 7Dmkii's(2) and 6D if you plan on looking for details in the pictures. The phones are up there in mega pixels, but are not looking through glass that is anywhere near the quality. Fine for point and shoot and facebook posting etc., but put them on the wall and it's night and day difference. It only matters if you like and notice the quality differences. As i type this I'm watching my Africa pictures scroll by continuously on my 48" monitor in my office and I can count the eyelashes on the leopards face and the veins in it's eye. You won't see those in my wive's pictures from the same vehicle. Like's been said, the current phones are fine for 95% of people. I take great pride in getting the details of the shot. I've got a lion shot with it's mouth open and I can see the flies wing details that are flying into it's mouth.
That XSI is a great starting point for someone who has an interest in better photography, then it becomes an expensive hobby especially once you start aiming for better glass!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Your right as far as point and shoots go...they're dead.
But for example, the newly introduced 'Z' series Nikon...over $3K each. Not going to be available til November. Within a day of them being introduced we had 40 preordered.
Serious hobbyists (as well as pros of course) are still buying like there's no tomorrow.
Another thing that has really changed is how much hobbyists are willing to pay now. For example, the 300mm F2.8 lens. Primarily a sports and pro lens. At about $7000 each we used to sell a couple a year to newspapers, and freelance sports photographers. Now we sell that many a month, the vast majority going to hobbyists.
When you are out and about it looks like the camera is dead because of all the phones you see at events...but these are being used by people who in the past would have been using an Instamatic or...not taking pictures at all.
Yea, when we were in Kenya this spring, I was shocked at how many people were just using ipad and phones on the Safari's. You spent that much money to be there and your pictures are going to suck if you want to print them. wow! I was packing two 26# camera bags onto the plane for this trip(one of my daughters was a plane boarding pack mule for me)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM

I have a mint canon 7D if anyone is looking for a good camera ,
I also have some extra canon L lenses that I'd let go , good ones

Pm me
Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thing is, the number of pixels is not all that matters.
Your camera, because it has a much bigger sensor, may have fewer pixels, but the size of the individual pixels is much larger.
The number of pixels determines resolution...how sharp the photo looks.
Pixel-well size (the individual pixels) determines noise, meaning low light capability and color gamut.
So...if your phone and your camera both have 20mp (for example), under good lighting conditions the photos will look similar...but go into a low light situation and the phone falls apart compared to the camera.
Look at it this way...8x25 and 8x42 binoculars. Middle of the day...ones as good as the other. Dusk or dawn...which do you want.
The other thing is color gamut. The phone will record hundreds of thousands of different shades of a color...the camera, millions.
If your only going to look at the images on a phone or computer screen it's a moot point. But make a high quality print and you will see the difference...many more shade of each color become apparent with the photo from the camera.
So...family snaps and such...even I use my phone. But when I go on vacation and think I may be taking photos I'll want to enlarge and frame...the camera wins hands down.
End of photo course
This is a great write up, thanks for that, do you have any knowledge of the nikon p1000 that you could share?, and what is your expert opinion on the camera?

I have seen some amazing video taken with these things and i am tempted to pick one up...

Thanks in advance, the knowledge is truly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
This is a great write up, thanks for that, do you have any knowledge of the nikon p1000 that you could share?, and what is your expert opinion on the camera?

I have seen some amazing video taken with these things and i am tempted to pick one up...

Thanks in advance, the knowledge is truly appreciated.
Bloody great camera.
When the P900 first came out a few years back no one could believe Nikon's claims that they had a camera with an (effective) 1000mm lens that had such great image stabilization that you could hand hold it.
Thing is it worked...perfectly. I've sold a ton of them to Alberta area police agencies for surveillance duties and they are extremely happy with them.
The P1000 came out and upped the ante. Effective 3000mm and handholdable. I had one of the reps first demo models and to try it out I zoomed to 3000mm, pointed it at a pair of Nikon bino's across the store (20m) and took a frame filling photo of the Nikon name (maybe 1/4 x 3x4 of an inch) hand held.
It was tack sharp.
It's big. And with the small sensor (it is not full frame) it won't be the absolute best in low light...but if you want one camera...one lens...and you want to do everything from family shots in your living room to pulling in your kid making a touchdown at the far end of the field...this thing can't be beat.
Now...as a site sponsor (McBain Camera) I have no issues saying...give me call...(main branch 780-420-0404) my prices won't be beat for AO members.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bloody great camera.
When the P900 first came out a few years back no one could believe Nikon's claims that they had a camera with an (effective) 1000mm lens that had such great image stabilization that you could hand hold it.
Thing is it worked...perfectly. I've sold a ton of them to Alberta area police agencies for surveillance duties and they are extremely happy with them.
The P1000 came out and upped the ante. Effective 3000mm and handholdable. I had one of the reps first demo models and to try it out I zoomed to 3000mm, pointed it at a pair of Nikon bino's across the store (20m) and took a frame filling photo of the Nikon name (maybe 1/4 x 3x4 of an inch) hand held.
It was tack sharp.
It's big. And with the small sensor (it is not full frame) it won't be the absolute best in low light...but if you want one camera...one lens...and you want to do everything from family shots in your living room to pulling in your kid making a touchdown at the far end of the field...this thing can't be beat.
Now...as a site sponsor (McBain Camera) I have no issues saying...give me call...(main branch 780-420-0404) my prices won't be beat for AO members.
Thank you for the break down from a professional who obviously knows his craft, i'm even more intrigued than i was before! and yes if i do pull the trigger i will absolutely give you a call!

This thing can zoom in on the moon with incredible detail!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconwilly View Post
thank you for the break down from a professional who obviously knows his craft, i'm even more intrigued than i was before! And yes if i do pull the trigger i will absolutely give you a call!

This thing can zoom in on the moon with incredible detail!
This is an undoctored photo of the moon taken with a P1000

moon_p1000.jpg
Old 09-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is an undoctored photo of the moon taken with a P1000

Attachment 149028
Very cool,i was watching a few random videos on YouTube and when this woman zooms in on Saturn at the 7:45 my mind was blown!

It looks eerily reminiscent of the all seeing eye....WEEWOO WEEWOO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=307s&v=VQjk3BPeZf8
Old 09-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Keep it. Learn how to use it. Capture some beauty.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
Keep it. Learn how to use it. Capture some beauty.
I have the identical one, served me well and wouldn't part with it.

Grizz
Old 09-24-2018, 07:47 AM

This is why some of us still use DSLR cameras. VERY small bird shot at 30 yards with a 135 mm lens then blown up. Try that with an Iphone. If you click on the header you can see an even more zoomed in shot. Notice the lack of noise, pixelation etc.