Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Default Anyone looking for a Labrador Puppy...

Have been on the lookout for a lab pup for a bit. Did lots of reading, research, and talking to people who know of that which they speak. My journey ended up leading me to a couple, Diana and Stu Mead, who have been in the trialing game for decades. They own and operate Clubmead Pet Resort, a boarding kennel near the airport. They have been breeding field/hunting labs for a long time, and their efforts have resulted in many FC dogs, as well as even a US National Champion that recently entered the retriever hall of fame.

Anyhow, the breeding is out of a FC sire that has ran in the Nationals each year since 2012 and a young dam that the breeder owns, who earned a first and a third in limited trialing last year, and they are confident will be a FC when all is said and done.

Here are some pics and the pedigree if anyone is interested in a pup that has the potential to be something special, as I think they may have one or two left. Warning - they are not cheap, but as Pixel says, "The purchase price is the cheapest part of a dog."

Thanks so much to the guys who helped me out in patiently answering my many questions on my journey into a breed I have no experience with... Pixelshooter, WWBirds, Threeforthree, Newf, MK2750, and Bganz.

The Meads train dogs all winter in Texas, where the pups will be frolicking in the sun, introduced to birds, water, and gunfire, but will be back in mid-April when the pups are ready to go.

Link to breeder's website: https://www.clubmead.com/labrador-dog-breeding/

Link to pedigree: http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/puppy.asp?id=17607

PS: the whiteout dots are to tell the pups apart

The waiting really sucks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 03-01-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:59 AM

Ive been thinking pretty hard about getting one so this is good info. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Nice!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Glad to help! Ask anytime! Enjoy the new pup!
Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 PM

6 beauties
Old 03-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Enjoy the pup! Pixel is right about the initial cost being the cheapest haha.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:51 PM

Congrats man! Going to be a great hunting dog for sure!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:03 PM

I have a silver lab and they're awesome. Smart and energetic. Will for sure be an awesome hunting dog
Old 03-02-2018, 11:20 PM

That’s awesome! Congrats! wishing you nothing but the best.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Razor Labs

I put a deposit on a Razor lab breeding coming up. Super excited, have only heard great things about these dogs. As for training I have heard that Maunty Karp of Ringneck Kennels is the man to go to. Also have heard great things about his training and is fantastic to talk to about Labs! Has anyone else out there done the same?
Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSig View Post
I put a deposit on a Razor lab breeding coming up. Super excited, have only heard great things about these dogs. As for training I have heard that Maunty Karp of Ringneck Kennels is the man to go to. Also have heard great things about his training and is fantastic to talk to about Labs! Has anyone else out there done the same?
I haven't bought a dog from Maunty, but I sent my dog to him for obedience training and it was a game changer, I highly recommend his services.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:53 AM

Maunty is an outstanding trainer - two labs trained with him and he does great work.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 AM

Default gamechanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
I haven't bought a dog from Maunty, but I sent my dog to him for obedience training and it was a game changer, I highly recommend his services.
That's great I also have only heard great things about his program and am so happy to find someone with that level of skill in our area. I'm still hoping someone with a Razor lab will post I am sooo excited!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM

That is one smoking pedigree
I expect that you won't be bored
I am envious as hell, but am only allowed two at a time (otherwise we'd have to buy a much bigger house)
Old 04-26-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
That is one smoking pedigree
I expect that you won't be bored
I am envious as hell, but am only allowed two at a time (otherwise we'd have to buy a much bigger house)
Yup I'm so so excited I can hardly stand it lol I wasn't much into the idea of anything to do with Chocolate and my deposit is on a female black but if she is anything like her dad I will be thrilled! And.. I understand about the house sometimes I feel like I should be living out in the middle of nowhere so I can have my own pack!
Old 04-27-2018, 10:31 AM

Hope you're planning to trial or hunt test...
If not it would kinda be like buying a Ducatti and keeping it in the garage.
Three months of activity a year during hunting season probably aren't going to cut it and like other dogs bred for their brains, like Border Collies for example, if you don't keep them busy they will find a way to amuse themselves (and that may or may not be amusing to you depending on your dog's level of creativity and your temperament)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:23 AM

Yes, Maunty’s your guy for training! He’s taught me so much over the years and can do amazing things with a dog. I have a dog with him right now for training.

Sounds like you’re getting a nice pup. You can also look into the hunt tests... Great way to keep your dog training and active in the off seasons. Also a couple of great retriever clubs in Alberta.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 PM

If you see a lab in the calgary area that has an e-collar and responds to the whistle , you can be 99% sure they went to Maunty. It is an ongoing joke at all the off leash areas and in the field. "NICE LAB, MAUNTY AT RINGNECK" response
" YEP" . He loves the Labs, and does great work.