Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Default Montec CS broad heads

I have just bought the Montec CS broad heads and the preseason heads. I have been looking the are built great and look like they will penetrate but won't give a good blood trail! I used these last year the arrow never went right threw the deer and there wasn't any blood and the deer got away! but I was wondering if you guys have had any experience with these broad heads if so I would like to hear them. Thanks 1BUCKWILD1
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Default montec

these are buy far the best fixed blade out there in my mind i have not been able to get a animal using them but my buddy has taken two elk one at 61 yards on a big bull and droped him in his tracks i really do like they way they fly as for blood trail not sure these animals never had a chance years ago i shot a doe with a judo point first deer ever with a bow and so excited grabed the wrong arrow long story short it died 30 yards from where i shot ARROW PLACEMENT is what we all need to practice on and remeber good practice makes perfect have fun good luck
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM

Nothing can get away with a well placed shot through the lungs/heart.

Now where you get into the otherside of broadheads is how your broadhead flies. I have two set ups, one loves slick tricks, the other loves montecs. Kinda strange but it is what it is. Find what flies well and find your confedence range and practice practice practice.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 PM

I have used Muzzys for about 40yrs,Wouldnt change for anything.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Default broadheads

lets face it there is alot of good broadheads on the market
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
Nothing can get away with a well placed shot through the lungs/heart.

Now where you get into the otherside of broadheads is how your broadhead flies. I have two set ups, one loves slick tricks, the other loves montecs. Kinda strange but it is what it is. Find what flies well and find your confedence range and practice practice practice.
X2 .... love the slick tricks for my set up as well, practice practice practice.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Killed a black bear last night with a montec it only went 30 feet. Arrow went right thru
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM

I've gotten my last 7 animals with montec. You won't get a blood trail as you will with say rage, but they kill quick and sail through most animals
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BUCKWILD1 View Post
I have just bought the Montec CS broad heads and the preseason heads.1
did you use the preseason heads for hunting by mistake? because they are only for practice, and would explain the poor penetration, and little blood.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage13 View Post
did you use the preseason heads for hunting by mistake? because they are only for practice, and would explain the poor penetration, and little blood.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM

no i never had the preseason heads them they were deffinately the broadheads! i hd shot a little to close to the shoulder and he was quartering away and i believe it had hit the other shoulder!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 PM

shot a bear 3 weeks ago from 23yrds with montec CS, arrow went through both lungs, heart and out through elbow bone, found the arrow about 7ft past where the bear was standing, I will never switch broadheads again. LOVE EM!!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM

Default No Issues

Shot two deer with them last season. Both pass through, both great blood trail. Neither went more than 50 yards.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 PM

Thats what i use there amazing i shot my elk with a rage three blade and after i tracked and thought i lost the elk i found it and it had much life left and sent a cs throught both shoulders found the rage balled up didnt even penetrate the rib cage i have pics of it
Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyhunter7 View Post
Thats what i use there amazing i shot my elk with a rage three blade and after i tracked and thought i lost the elk i found it and it had much life left and sent a cs throught both shoulders found the rage balled up didnt even penetrate the rib cage i have pics of it
pics would be cool!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 PM

The Montec is the 2nd from the right, last years. G5 says the steel is the only diff from this to the new CS, but you get the idea. Beside it is my practice head for the Montec. Then the good old Muzzy MX3 with practice blades, and on the left is the NAP Razorback, one scary looking broadhead. All are 100 gr.

TBark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05774.jpg (16.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05777.jpg (18.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 AM

I have made some amazing shots with them in the past 5 years not going to say what they were cause i dont need the keyboard commanders hounding me and stealing your thread. But never had one get away I have always had some sort of a blood trail maybe not a perfect line all the way but definitely a descent trail fairly easy to follow. And they are some tough always with a complete pass through
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM

The broadhead will do the best job it can, if not placed into or near vitals I don't care how good the broadhead is...

Most "broadhead" failures are shooter error....

There are some cases where broadheads have caused problems however but in 99% of cases it is shooter error....

Montecs are one of the best broadheads out there, the only issue I have with them is when you get them opver 300 fps they tend to whislte...which has advantages and disadvantages....

Had a deer look to see the noise and it froze him in place to put arrow into vitals.....

Tune your bow until a bare shaft hits same place at 20 yards as fletched shaft.... then when building arrows with broadhead make sure the insert is square... put the broadheadon and then spin it (I use an arrow straigtener to spin mine one) bring a piecef of cardbard towards broadhead tip dipped in ink/paint/sharpie...just a dab!... and see if it scribes a circle or a dot.... if it is a circle...adjust until it is a dot or resquare insert.... if it is a dot...good enough.... Have to be careful that arrow is not being flexed while it is being spun...

After that i shoot them each once into a foam block at 20 to make sure they hit same point of impact as my field point tipped arrows. Then I place them into my quiver in order of closest to center of dot... so first arrow I pull is always my best one...

Montecs are one of the straightest broadheads and less prone to user variance because you dont have to build them.

I am not a fan of mechanicals... I like simplicity....

Broadhead flight is often an indication of how well a bow is tuned.... because it exaggerates any inherent deviations.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 PM

My first 2 archery deer were taken with montecs with little trail on very good shots. I found they had poor penetration and went down after the shot a lot further than seemed reasonable given shot placement. I chose montecs after hearing all the glowing reports on them but found I personally needed to reevaluate.

I switched to the cabela's copperhead the next season and took 2 that dropped within 20 and 40 yards with very clean passes on both on longer range shots. I could shave hair off my arm out of the pack with the copperheads but couldn't cut cheese with the new montecs. Look at all the web comments on how to properly sharpen your montecs or the noise. Doesn't seem like a good choice to me.

Just my $00.02 worth.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Default Montecs

I would say 90% of the big game I have taken with Montec G5's expire within sight (less than 40 yards). All but two have been complete pass throughs and those two that did not pass through were because they were spine hits. Blood trails have been any where from fair to great. Best fixed BH in my opinion but you have to hit them in the boiler room just like with any other BH.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
these are buy far the best fixed blade out there in my mind

x2
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
x2
X3 they are wicked! Mechanical broad heads have a better chance of failure, for that simple reason I will not use them! Watch the broadhead test on you tube.