Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Default F150 5.4 timing rebuild

It was about 4 years ago that I pulled the leads on my VC valves when it sounded like the engine was going to come apart while on a hunting trip. Ran ok since then, but last couple of months things where getting a bit noisy with what sounded like chain slap. Decided I better do the deed before heading out on this falls hunting trips.

Dealer's price on chains, guides, and tensioners were $1200. Ordered everything from Rockauto for $550, including a high flow oil pump and VC valves. Special tools found local on Kijiji for another $100.

Upon exposure, found the drivers side chain very loose, and both tensioners seals blown out. Replaced original oil pump with high volume, replaced chains, guides, tensioners, and VC valves. Did not replace cam phasors. Inspected all rockers, lash adjusters and camshaft. Everything looked good, all though the passenger camshaft did have a bit of scuffing on main journals.

Just back from a week in Saskatchewan and the results are nothing but positive. Things I've noticed since repair and returning to auto engine control loop; Transmission shifts are clean and brisk, clean idle without any engine noise, return of engine braking, return of high end torque making passing a breeze, and the big one, gained 10-15% gas mileage. Should be paid for in about 6 months.

I set aside 4 days for this job, but after doing it, could repeat in 2 days. A couple of excellent youtube channels made it easy.

In the end, I would recommend that anyone with this engine consider this service work. Rapid top end degradation by oil starvation, caused by tensioner seal blowout is a known problem with this motor.

Happy motoring.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Did this a couple of years back, although in my case I didn't replace the oil pump, but did replace the cam phasers. Bought the parts from an esteemed member on this forum, and went extremely well. Like you, I took a few days to do it, could do it faster if I had to do it again.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Interesting.
If you don't mind me asking, what tools did you need for this.
I have the OEM cam phaser holding tool and the timing tool already. Can you tell me are there any other special tools you needed? like my hose clamp tools or anything like that?

I have a 5.4 myself. I can hear the clatter of the loose chain as i pull through a drive thru or roll down my alley.
I have also studied up on the Youtube videos and am wanting to do this job.
my plan was the same as yours, parts from RA, tools form Kijiji or other used places.

My concern is i'm not mechanical. I can pull the sensors and connectors apart, (makes perfect sense, "this is in the way, unbolt, unscrew, disconnect etc) get into the engine and likely disassemble and reassemble all the parts. What makes me nervous is retiming the engine after the new chains and tensioners are on and putting all the electrical connectors and hoses back in the right places. Or in the event there is something I have not been prepared for. that's when I panic.

Really I have spent so much time looking into this that I have gone from not confident in doing it, to studying up and learning the steps and feeling confident, to now over thinking and over complicating the process.

Last edited by El Carnicero; 10-17-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:20 PM

Did you check cam valley wear?
The Block shop Edmonton says without doing that you will be in the engine again very soon.
Cost me big once.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-17-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
Interesting.
I have the OEM cam phaser holding tool and the timing tool already. Can you tell me are there any other special tools you needed? like my hose clamp tools or anything like that?

I have a 5.4 myself. I can hear the clatter of the loose chain as i pull through a drive thru or roll down my alley.
my plan was the same as yours, parts from RA, tools form Kijiji or other used places.

My concern is i'm not mechanical. I can pull the sensors and connectors apart, (makes perfect sense, "this is in the way, unbolt, unscrew, disconnect etc) get into the engine and likely disassemble and reassemble all the parts. What makes me nervous is retiming the engine after the new chains and tensioners are on and putting all the electrical connectors and hoses back in the right places. Or in the event there is something I have not been prepared for. that's when I panic.

Really I have spent so much time looking into this that I have gone from not confident in doing it, to studying up and learning the steps and feeling confident, to now over thinking and over complicating the process.
You don't need the holding tools etc. if you are doing the chains; the chains and sprockets are indexed (indents and colored links), so as long as you don't rotate the cams etc. you should be able to pop everything in place quite readily. Worst case you need to start from TDC again - have a document on that somewhere I can send you if you like.

Only tool I didn't have was an impact wrench, which I needed to remove the nut from the main shaft. Rest was hand tools. Oh, and it was a pain to get the passenger valve cover off without draining/removing the AC. Removing the wheel well liners helped a ton!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 PM

I'm on my 4th cam phaser delete this month. Pull it apart. Do chains and guides. Install lockouts and a quick tune via HP tuners and good to go.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
I'm on my 4th cam phaser delete this month. Pull it apart. Do chains and guides. Install lockouts and a quick tune via HP tuners and good to go.

Ah, lockouts! Forgot about those!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:05 PM

Yep, like you said... the first one is a learning experience but after that they're pretty easy. Just a little time consuming and tedious.
It's well worth doing.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Just buying the kid an 09 with this motor. What years of this motor were prone to these issues? I thought it was 04-08?

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

I had 3 pieces, the crankshaft alignment tool, phasor locking tool, and the only one you really need, valve spring compressor. It's tedious fishing the rockers in and out, and it's not until your on the 20th one when you discover the technique where they just slide in and out. The timing marks are clear, hard to miss. Depending on your accessories, it can be a chore to remove the passenger valve cover. No problems with electrical harness. Puller for harmonic balancer was borrowed from Parts Source. I used a chain wrench to hold the balancer for crankbolt.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Just buying the kid an 09 with this motor. What years of this motor were prone to these issues? I thought it was 04-08?
04-11 if I understood correctly in all my reading.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
You don't need the holding tools etc. if you are doing the chains; the chains and sprockets are indexed (indents and colored links), so as long as you don't rotate the cams etc. you should be able to pop everything in place quite readily. Worst case you need to start from TDC again - have a document on that somewhere I can send you if you like.

Only tool I didn't have was an impact wrench, which I needed to remove the nut from the main shaft. Rest was hand tools. Oh, and it was a pain to get the passenger valve cover off without draining/removing the AC. Removing the wheel well liners helped a ton!
Good to know about the wheel well liners.
I do plan to do the phasers and lockouts if I open everything. Thus the specific tools. I figure if I’m gonna do I’ll do it all to save me a headache later. As a young father if I don’t do it all the first time, I may not get the time to do it again.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
mine was a 2010. I believe they dealt with those issues later in 2010, and carried that design until 2014.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
As a young father if I don’t do it all the first time, I may not get the time to do it again.

I hear ya! Hope it all goes smoothly for you!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Yikes. I guess I am buying an issue.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 PM

Hmmm I have an 01 and am pushing 202000 miles. I figure I’ll keep it going until I dynamite the engine or tranny then rebuild both the engine and tranny. The truck has been very good and everything is tight and dry I can’t see not fixing it if it went down.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Yikes. I guess I am buying an issue.
Not necessarily.
I bought mine used, having no idea these issues existed. It had 190,000 on it when I bought and my only issue is the chain slap. Which for now I can handle as it’s a weekend driver and not a daily. I haven’t seen any other issues yet and it’s an 07. But my thought is as long as you take care of the issues when they arise, it will last you a long time.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Hmmm I have an 01 and am pushing 202000 miles. I figure I’ll keep it going until I dynamite the engine or tranny then rebuild both the engine and tranny. The truck has been very good and everything is tight and dry I can’t see not fixing it if it went down.
Like you, i will be driving mine into the ground before I get rid of it. If I can fix it at a reasonable price, why get rid of it so long as the cost doesn’t outweigh the benefits.