Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Default 2014 Hard Water Derby - OFFICIAL THREAD

2014 Hard Water Fishing Derby – Official Submission Thread

This is the official entry thread for the 2014 Hard Water Fishing Derby. Here you will find rules, instructions for participation, other members entries and the current standings.

Anyone on this forum can participate in this derby, no registration is required just submit entries according to rules below.

IMPORTANT: Please NO discussion/congratulations in this thread. This thread is meant only for contest submissions. You are definitely encouraged to talk about your fishing trip and your fish, but please start a new thread or use the following thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=235431

Categories and Awards:

There are multiple categories associated with this derby as specified below. The awards for winning a certain category is bragging rights and winners will be supplied with signatures that they may use if they want.

1. Biggest Fish (by length)
  1. Artic Grayling
  2. Brook Trout
  3. Brown Trout
  4. Burbot
  5. Cutthroat Trout
  6. Lake Trout
  7. Lake Whitefish
  8. Northern Pike
  9. Rainbow Trout
  10. Rocky Mountain Whitefish
  11. Sucker(All Species)
  12. Walleye
  13. Yellow Perch

2. Combination Awards
  1. Most Species Caught
  2. Best Alberta Slam (Largest Combined Length of Pike, Walleye and Rainbow Trout)
  3. Ultimate Alberta Angler (Largest Combined Length of All Species)

In determination of Best Alberta Slam and Ultimate Alberta Angler only the largest fish of each species will be counted. You may submit multiple entries as you catch larger fish but know that only the largest submitted fish will count towards your totals. Example: If you post pictures of a 12” perch, a 36” pike, and a 15” rainbow your total would be 63”. If you get a 13” perch your total will become 64”. I will be keeping track of the standings and updating this thread with them every other week(and possibly more often near the end).

Instructions to Participate:

1. Print off a token(token will be posted either this Wednesday or Thursday) and fill in your AO username and remember to take this token with you when you go fishing (you’ll need to take a picture with it). Using the token is the only way to guarantee your fish will be counted, that said if you forget it at home etc then your picture will still be accepted if the following conditions are met.
  • Date can be proven either by time stamp, exif data or date in photo
  • Proof you caught the fish by having your username, face or other distinguishing feature in the photo.
2. Take a picture using the rules below and then post it to this thread. Check out the “Posting Pictures” thread here if you need help: http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=191020
3. In your post, please put the SPECIES NAME, and your MEASURED LENGTH.
4. Photos must be posted within 2 weeks. Stockpiling fish and submitting them at the end of the derby will not be accepted.

Rules:

1. Official Judges: AO members AppleJax, RavYak and CanadianBadass will be acting as judges. There hopefully won't be any issues but if there are the judges will converse and their decision will be final.
2. Timeline: November 22, 2014(Changed due to early ice) to March 15, 2015. ALL entries MUST be posted by noon on March 16, 2015 to be eligible.
3. Photos: Must show the entire fish in a live healthy state, your token, and fish measuring device(measuring board, tape measure etc). Please review and follow these photo requirement/suggestions.
  • Photos taken at home afterwards will not qualify.
  • Photos of dead or frozen fish will not be accepted.
  • Photos where the measurement isn’t legible can not be counted either.
  • Photos in which only a partial measurement can be clearly read will be scored as the largest readable measurement as determined by judges.
  • Using a measuring board is recommended as it not only makes attaining the photo much easier but it also provides a boundary for the fish to keep it out of the snow.
  • At this time a boundary is not required but is recommended. Suggestions for a boundary include a garbage bag, tarp, rubber/foam mats, measuring boards and more. Metal surfaces are obviously not good boundaries and cloth will work but should be damp. If you choose not to use a boundary please thoroughly clear the snow from where you plan on doing measurements. If there are an excessive amount of photos showing snow covered fish I will change the boundary to a requirement.
4. Locations: It is not required to disclose the lake of origin with your entry but the lake must be managed under the Alberta Fishing Regulations (ie: no private or community lakes). If a judge requires further proof the lake is in Alberta, be prepared to verbally verify it in confidence.
5. Catch and Release/Fish Handling/Barbs:
  • C&R is encouraged, but submissions of fish being kept are acceptable as long as the fish is live and healthy at the time of the photo.
  • If you are practicing C&R, handle the fish with the least possible impact, “C&R Fish Handling Suggestions” are provided below. Please try your utmost to use these for the contest.
  • In accordance with the official SRD stance, participants are encouraged to use barbless hooks but are not legally required to do so.
  • No negative posts about any of the above, use Private Messaging if you feel the burning need, or just lead by example.

Measuring Fish Length (from Alberta SRD)

Length – The total length (maximum) of a fish is measured from the tip of the nose or jaw to the tip of the tail fin, with the tail pinched.

NOTE: When measuring a fish either lay the fish on or directly beside tape so that it can be easily read. Do not set the tape on top of the fish or far away so that an accurate measurement is not possible. Please avoid using flexible tape measures as they are less accurate and also know that a yellow measuring tape is usually easier to read in a photo then a white one. As mentioned above a fish measuring device makes measuring and photos much easier and I highly recommend having one. You can either make one or buy them at most fishing stores.

C&R Fish Handling Technique

Fish handling is all about doing the least harm possible to the fish, which involves two main ideals: keeping the protective coating and not causing physical harm.

1. Protective coating: All fish have a protective coating on their skin, compromising this coating has long-term negative health consequences.
  • When grabbing the fish, refrain from using rough surfaced ‘fish gloves’, wool or cotton gloves are okay if they are soaked before handling the fish. If using bare hands, getting your hands wet before handling fish will cause less damage to the protective coating.
  • When you are laying the fish down, it helps to wet the surface beforehand. Please do not lay fish directly in snow as it will freeze to them, take the time to clean a spot for measurements when you arrive.
  • Handle fish with a secure grip. A fish dropping onto the ice and thrashing against objects will severely impact its protective layer.
2. Physical Harm
  • Do not put your fingers in the gills of the fish.
  • Do not put your fingers in the eyes of the fish.
  • Limit the time the fish spends out of the water.
  • Barbless hooks are encouraged.
  • If the fish has an over-inflated swim bladder, do not puncture it or squeeze the fish. Put the fish in the water and allow time for the bladder to deflate.
  • Holding fish horizontally is better than vertically, as it causes less stress on vertebrae and organs.
  • Carry needle nose pliers to allow hook to be removed more easily.
  • Check tipups frequently to reduce stress time on fish.

Very Important: Remember to have fun out there and good luck to everyone who participates.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM

And just to reiterate. Tokens will be made available this coming Wednesday or Thursday and the derby will be starting next Saturday, November 22nd.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:26 PM

Whoooooooooo !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Ok guys, here are the tokens. I set it up so that you can print 4 on one page so you have extras.
Thank you sir. I fully intend to improve my score this season. I'd be watching over your shoulder...no where to go but up for me!

OK - my goal is to at least catch one.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Haven't looked at the ice yet but man did this rain and warm weather make a number on our snow... Looks like spring out there... Hopefully the ice is still good, be careful if you are going out this weekend, ice probably isn't as good as it was last week...
Old 11-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Here is a new token
I will be accepting any token(printed, hand written etc) that references 2014 hard water derby and your AO user name...

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 11-23-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Smile

Here's my entry with no proof other than my word so I guess it won't count but this is what I got for my hard work yesterday out in the foothills.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 AM

Someone beat me

Well this is the first official post

I didn't have a token and someone didn't like so share there's but I got the selfie. 14 3/4 inch rainbown lol

Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Default pike and eye

Baby 24 inch pike and a 22.5 walleye. Pics to follow when Im done having fun today

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Turns out should wait till the end of the day before posting your picture

Update time

18 3/4 rainbow never thought I would get any this size out of this slough

Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Baby 24 inch pike and a 22.5 walleye. Pics to follow when Im done having fun today

wouldnt quit qiggling but it was 24 on the money when I held and pinched it. not like it will last the weekend

thought Id have to bonk it so it would lay still for 5 seconds! its lucky it was a tag lake! I beat it easy at the end of the day but it got off in the hole, couldnt get my hands around it quick enough

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-22-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Here's my entry with no proof other than my word so I guess it won't count but this is what I got for my hard work yesterday out in the foothills.
It also wouldn't count because the derby didn't start until today .

Remember that if you forget your token all you need to do is prove date and identity(or write hard water derby and username on piece of paper, in snow or whatever). A token guarantees your catch will count though and as such is the recommended method.

Lund Rebel, print a token :P.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:03 PM

Default pike upgrade

knew it wouldnt take too long. 29 skinny inches. other card blew away in the hurricane last night so I had to improvise

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Default 18" Walleye And 17 3/4" Rainbow

Here are my first additions to the board !

Walleye =11/24/14
Rainbow =1123/14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-25-2014, 12:48 PM

Just something to put me on the board- 15" Brookie, didnt have the new tokens at the time.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 PM

Everything good in life starts out small. Heres to bigger and better things to come. Brookie took a nasty gut hook unfortunately!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Keep em coming guys! Please remember to post your measured lengths as it is a lot easier for me to confirm a length then it is to try and determine one. I will be posting the first standings update middle of next week.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:00 PM

Default pike

Pike now at 32 inches hoping to add another foot to that today. Pic when Im home again

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Pike now at 32 inches hoping to add another foot to that today. Pic when Im home again
Im a little dissapointed, only managed to bump my pike 10 inches so far. 42 by 21 inch lovely fat girl now. Pics when I get home.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-27-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
my 32 first. just to keep them in order. got 2 this size today

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Im a little dissapointed, only managed to bump my pike 10 inches so far. 42 by 21 inch lovely fat girl now. Pics when I get home.
and my best of the day, 42 1/2 inches pinched. anyone missing a poodle?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-03-2014, 11:03 PM

First standings update. I need to stick to photographed lengths to be fair so some measurements may be slightly different.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 PM

Doh, not sure how I messed that up... My whole length comment was because I was only able to verify 42.25 for that pike(no doubt was at least 42.5 with pinched tail but need to stick to photographed lengths in case another fish is close). Here is actual standings...

Old 12-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Default perch

hopefully beat this one by a few inches, 11 inch yellow perch from today

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-06-2014, 11:40 PM

13.5" Arctic Grayling.

sorry for the bad pics, he wouldnt stay still and wanted to get him back home.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:10 AM

Default 18" Lake white

Shook the cobwebs out of the ice gear today and got a few whites
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18in Lake White Dec6-2014.jpg (52.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-07-2014, 05:48 PM

33 inch pike I hope pic works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-12-07-12-02-22.jpg (8.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM

Finally got out and caught a fish worth entering.

16 Inch Brookie

Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Because RavYak doesn't believe me lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-59-00.jpg (14.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
33 inch pike I hope pic works!
Thanks for sending me the better picture to confirm length. Here it is for others interested.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
Because RavYak doesn't believe me lol
Hey now, I believed you just have to be fair. It seems the AO upload is making your images smaller/poorer quality for some reason. Using photobucket is a little more work but much better quality imo. Here is a thread on how to post pictures with photobucket.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=82419