Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Ruger Bad Warranty Expierience

Back in December 2016 I posted a thread looking to find out if anyone new how I could put my hands on a Ruger Compact SS 308 LH.
I had contacted Ruger directly and the referred me to their 2 Canadian distributors. Neither of which would bring me in one because the SKU wasn’t on their lists.
I provided the SKU number to them and said that I would prepay for it at an Edmonton gun shop of their choosing. Still the answer was NO. Did I mention this wasn’t for me. Now back to the forum thread, within 15 minutes I received I received several replies, contact Clay at Prophet River Arms. I did and Clay managed to order the only one in existence at the time.
5-6 weeks later. The rifle arrives and we clean it up, put rings and a new scope on it. Off we go to the back forty to sight it in. The rifle was getting progressively worse with each shot. We stopped and re-cleaned the gun that evening. Next Day more of the same. Upon inspection it appeared that the muzzle had some rough jagged edges, if you spun your finger in it the ridges felt as though you could cut your finger.
Snapshots Canadian Warranty Depot for Ruger I contacted Clay at Prophet River and he said send it to me and I will get it to Snapshots (Canadian Ruger Warranty Depot) for you, so I did. Snapshots received it April 4th.
After a month of emails asking about any progress
I received an email
June 6th saying the gun had been taken to the range and the accuracy was questionable so a new barrel was ordered for it.
June 7th I received some helpful hints on how to sight in a Ruger American. Snapshots will retest the firearm after tightening some loose action screws while waiting for the barrel. It was noted that the muzzle condition was par for what they are used to seeing on these guns. Did I mention that this gun wasn’t for me and it represents a sizable investment for the owner.
June 10th I received notice that a couple of more rounds were tried and that the results were poor so would stop testing and wait for the new barrel. June 12 receive an email saying the rear ring of the scope was loose and it would have to be tested again, **** happens no big deal except I told my friend the testing was done.
July 18th Hooray the new barrel is in and the rifle will be shipped any day. This message was relayed to me by Clay at Prophet River base on what he was told.
August 8th email says tried the rifle again with same results, waiting for new barrel. Really!!!!!!
August 9th a big shipment of barrels is coming in hopefully that ones in there.
August 28th still no update I as Clay to give them a nudge.
August 31 Prophet River offers to send a RH gun to steal the barrel off of.
September 20th Snapshots was told that Ruger’s NEW FACILITY just got their paper work in order to be able to ship goods. Things SHOULD not WILL BE moving in a few weeks.
This whole experience has put a bad taste in my mouth for Ruger. Prophet River has gone above and beyond. Snapshots have also put in much more effort than was needed, they are guilty of poor communication but had Ruger sent the barrel right away this would be done. Did I mention this wasn’t for me. This is only a few of the emails in that time period. I am not holding my breath waiting for the outcome.