Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Default Price on fish mounts.

Caught a few nice fish this year.
Anyone have one mounted this year.
What are they charging per inch now?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:17 AM

well i paid $8.00 an inch 10 years ago so i'm sure it's probably 10-12 dollars now i mounted one and never will again i would rather take the picture for memories and then video the release......watching the videos gives you the satisfaction of knowing the beast is swimming again.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOMAN View Post
well i paid $8.00 an inch 10 years ago so i'm sure it's probably 10-12 dollars now i mounted one and never will again i would rather take the picture for memories and then video the release......watching the videos gives you the satisfaction of knowing the beast is swimming again.
I Agree its not worth it. Take lots of pics.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 PM

You guys never heard of a replica mount?

I caught a 42 inch pike last year and called around for mount price. yes, I let the fish go.. I called for a replica. Anyways, 20$ a inch is the average price. From what I found out in my research I wouldn't pay less than about 20$ a inch, or you will risk getting a bad mount that you might not want to even hang on the wall.

There is a REALLY nice taxidermist in ontario that I found and called. It is cheaper for me to get him to do a really nice replica and ship it to me in lac la biche that to get someoen from this area to do the same thing.

the web site is http://www.advancedtaxidermy.com/ ..

to answer your question.. about 20$ an inch
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
You guys never heard of a replica mount?
ya replica mount is when you drop the fish back in the water and replicate the catch again!!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 PM

i had this guy mounted with the actual fish because of the cost of having a replica made, but even still using the actual fish it cost me $14.50 and inch this was like 12 ish years ago. i had the i think its called a freeze drying process done and there was not many taxidermist doing that. it was done by anglers taxidermy i think and now are out in vancouver i believe cause they moved there from calgary. i didn't check prices just kinda picked one out of the phone book and went with it.

http://www3.telus.net/fhum/perch1a.JPG
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOMAN View Post
Dont count on it , that could be the one l had for supper a while back
Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 PM

It depends on who you go with, you're looking at anywhere from $10-$20 per inch. It's $20 per inch from Advanced Taxidermy in Ontario, and their work is incredible.

I would highly caution you from using Angler's Taxidermy. I had a mount done with them and it was very poorly done. The freeze drying shrinks it to about 90% of it's length, then the guy has very tacky looking board that he mounts them on (at least I think so), and then when he repainted the fish it looked absolutely nothing like the fish I had caught.

My recommendation is spend the extra money and go with a high quality mount or replica.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 PM

My suggestion is to get a replica of the fish you want to catch. Then all those less than go safely back to thier home.