Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Don't confuse with facts
If one really wants to get technical, of those said cup runs, the oilers is the most recent
Yup truth. Oilers last cup was in the 90’s, flames last cup came from the decade before that.....
(Pretty much same time but sounds better.... haha)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Yup truth. Oilers last cup was in the 90’s, flames last cup came from the decade before that.....
(Pretty much same time but sounds better.... haha)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Here ya go mr. stats

Calgary has 10 players with over 10 points
Oilers have 9 player with over 10 points

Calgary top ten has a combined 231 points
Oilers top ten has a combined 267 points

If you remove Thachuk and Monahan the Flames have 164 points
If you remove McDavid and Draisaitl the Oilers have 143 points

Points and scoring have not been the Oilers trouble, our trouble right now is in the net. Both Calgary goalies are sitting at .915 sv%. Oilers goalies are at .914 and .893. And Koskinen's number has actual came down significantly over the month of December.

So to answer your question, I would choose Rittich and Thachuk
Dayumm, you know your stuff
Old 12-30-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
If one really wants to get technical, of those said cup runs, the oilers is the most recent
Unless some consider last years playoffs a cup run??
Only 15 wins short.....
Old 12-30-2019, 08:19 PM

It's pretty simple fellas, we watch, well Flames fans do anyway, because it's entertaining. Some Oil fans may have convinced themselves otherwise over the last decade, but winning is more entertaining than losing. Last two seasons combined, Flames have 70 wins, Oilers have 55. Last 3 seasons, Flames have 107, Oilers have 91 etc. etc.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:25 PM
Banned

Odd isn't it that the same folks who beach about Flames fans on the Oiler Fanboy thread show up here in droves?

That's Ok boys, what you won't find here is the amount of insecurity you see on the Fanboy thread. Here people talk objectively about the hockey team.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Odd isn't it that the same folks who beach about Flames fans on the Oiler Fanboy thread show up here in droves?

That's Ok boys, what you won't find here is the amount of insecurity you see on the Fanboy thread. Here people talk objectively about the hockey team.
That's all you got? No answers to question or facts provided.

The only reason I am here is you said you miss me. Post 1702 from the Oilers thread....

BD, look forward to reading some of your comments on the Flames thread, you seem to be there often.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It's pretty simple fellas, we watch, well Flames fans do anyway, because it's entertaining. Some Oil fans may have convinced themselves otherwise over the last decade, but winning is more entertaining than losing. Last two seasons combined, Flames have 70 wins, Oilers have 55. Last 3 seasons, Flames have 107, Oilers have 91 etc. etc.
I’m pretty sure if you asked someone outside of Edmonton or Calgary who they would rather watch over the last 4 years it would be the oilers simply due to the McDavid effect. But your right watching your team win is much better than losing.so far we have each watched our team win 20 times with half a season to go. Should be good from either seat.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
How many seasons are we allowed to go back?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I certainly wouldn't think anyone would view your comments about the Oilers as objective...except maybe yourself.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Hey, hey , hey...... that is a loaded question that no one wants to know the answer to. No one I tell you!
Old 12-30-2019, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Here ya go mr. stats

Calgary has 10 players with over 10 points
Oilers have 9 player with over 10 points

Calgary top ten has a combined 231 points
Oilers top ten has a combined 267 points

If you remove Thachuk and Monahan the Flames have 164 points
If you remove McDavid and Draisaitl the Oilers have 143 points

Points and scoring have not been the Oilers trouble, our trouble right now is in the net. Both Calgary goalies are sitting at .915 sv%. Oilers goalies are at .914 and .893. And Koskinen's number has actual came down significantly over the month of December.

So to answer your question, I would choose Rittich and Thachuk
Quote:
That's all you got? No answers to question or facts provided.

The only reason I am here is you said you miss me. Post 1702 from the Oilers thread....

BD, look forward to reading some of your comments on the Flames thread, you seem to be there often.
Ok, so you leaving Calgary with a better goaltender than either of Edmonton's goaltenders are showing right now (with or without statistics), a much better defense and more proven goal scorers (please don't bring up Neal, he's a plug without the Bobsy twins)?

Like I said, 5 games.

C'mon BD be honest we both know why you're on here. Feels good to post on the thread of the better Alberta NHL team over the past decade + doesn't it?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

C'mon BD be honest we both know why you're on here. Feels good to post on the thread of the better Alberta NHL team over the past decade + doesn't it?
He could have gone to ANY OTHER TEAM and done the same thing. LOLOLOL

Have they run out of dumpsters up north to start on fire?

NAHHHHHH It's Edmonton, the whole town is made from dumpsters..
Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Far back as you want I guess. Flames have more regular season wins in fewer seasons than the Oilers, Oilers have more playoff season wins in more seasons than the Flames. Oilers were remarkably good in their first decade and have been remarkably bad in the last. Flames are average. For alot of fans, it's a "what have you done for me lately".
Old 12-30-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Ok, so you leaving Calgary with a better goaltender than either of Edmonton's goaltenders are showing right now (with or without statistics), a much better defense and more proven goal scorers (please don't bring up Neal, he's a plug without the Bobsy twins)?

Like I said, 5 games.

See there is those blinders again. The only real bad season he has ever has was with the Flames. It hurts, but it is true.

Calgary had a less than anticipated start to the season. Go dig up any negative comments I made about the Flames this year. I think I remember even stating that I believe they would turn it around. You are so blind and basis from Oilers hate that he can't recognize the Oilers have some great pieces in place and some promising prospects. You only come on the Oilers thread to tear down the organization and fans, I only come hear to have fun with guys like you and Dead Moose.

That is why I post here. See you in another 2 weeks.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
You can go as far back as you think you need to, be my guest.

But the simple fact that you need to go so far back in order to level the playing field and make a point only proves my point. Like I said, Edmonton's been the second best NHL team in Alberta for over a full decade.

But for the "what have you done for me lately" believers we can talk about this season only. Probably the best start Edmonton's had in many years. The problems come when you start to peel back the onion layers and compare the month over month stats from the start of the season.

Everything is trending in the wrong direction, points, wins, GAA, James "the third coming" Neal's goal scoring. We won't even talk about +- on some of your leading goal scorers as some here don't like that stat. Not to worry, the tire fire is big enough without it.

All trends point to yet another high lottery pick season. Jeepers guys, don't you think Edmonton should start to decline those high picks just from embarrassment and what little pride the franchise has left? Please guys don't let it happen again!

Believe me, there really is no enjoyment in seeing Edmonton become a laughing stock in NA professional sports when the "opportunity VS futility" metric is discussed.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:42 PM

Look out there’s a broken droid model 338 on the loose and he’s gone bezerk!!!!

You do realize Calgary missed 7 playoffs in the last decade and Won only one round. Not exactly what I would call a dynasty. Marginally better than the Oilers in the regular season yes, but cancelled out by the two fist round choke artist demos they put out. In the last decade the oilers have won the same amount of rounds in the playoffs and have a one game edge in playoff games won. The main goal in the NHL is to win the Stanley cup and the Oilers came closer to that goal than the Flames did in the last ten years.

Last edited by elk eater; 12-30-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
See there is those blinders again. The only real bad season he has ever has was with the Flames. It hurts, but it is true.

Calgary had a less than anticipated start to the season. Go dig up any negative comments I made about the Flames this year. I think I remember even stating that I believe they would turn it around. You are so blind and basis from Oilers hate that he can't recognize the Oilers have some great pieces in place and some promising prospects. You only come on the Oilers thread to tear down the organization and fans, I only come hear to have fun with guys like you and Dead Moose.

That is why I post here. See you in another 2 weeks.
Oh my, where to start with this?

When a player has a real bad season and it's because he signed a big contract in the off season and then doesn't do the required fitness and strength training, it speaks to his professionalism. Has nothing to do with where he played last year or this year. Would never want that attitude on my team, it's a cancer.

He even knows he embarrassed himself so badly last year he had to sign up to Gary Robert's fitness and nutrition coaching last off season.

When I come on the Oiler forum, I speak truth to blind fanboy cheerleaders.
I'm on record awhile back as saying Edmonton goaltending wasn't that good. Of course I got roasted for that. TM said I obviously didn't know what I was talking about.

I'll save him the embarrassment of digging up Edmonton's GAA and save percentage for either of their goalies, or both combined, since I posted that.

Now the Oiler organization, of course I criticized it. What's your assessment of it in the last 10-15 years? How many gold star atta boys would you hand out?

If speaking the truth is synonymous to tearing down, all I can say is ....Timber!

Oh yeah. and perhaps you can enlighten me on this: Why is it that whenever a discouraging word is posted on the Oiler's forum, the replies range from the classics like "oh yeah", "I know you are but what am I?" or "Have you forgotten the 80's already, it's only 2019"

You guys really need to raise the level of your responses and bring in a little reality.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:

When a player has a real bad season and it's because he signed a big contract in the off season and then doesn't do the required fitness and strength training, it speaks to his professionalism. Has nothing to do with where he played last year or this year. Would never want that attitude on my team, it's a cancer.

He even knows he embarrassed himself so badly last year he had to sign up to Gary Robert's fitness and nutrition coaching last off season.

I'm on record awhile back as saying Edmonton goaltending wasn't that good. Of course I got roasted for that. TM said I obviously didn't know what I was talking about. Enjoy your cancer.

I'll save him the embarrassment of digging up Edmonton's GAA and save percentage for either of their goalies, or both combined, since I posted that.

Now the Oiler organization, of course I criticized it. What's your assessment of it in the last 10-15 years? How many gold star atta boys would you hand out?

If speaking the truth is synonymous to tearing down, all I can say is ....Timber!

Oh yeah. and perhaps you can enlighten me on this: Why is it that whenever a discouraging word is posted on the Oiler's forum, the replies range from the classics like "oh yeah", "I know you are but what am I?" or "Have you forgotten the 80's already, it's only 2019"

You guys really need to raise the level of your responses and bring in a little reality.

I didn’t bring up the 80’s just the Flames last 10 dismal years. Before you go preaching about Neal and his training habits you better learn those of your new all star pylon. That’s right Lucic the man who can’t skate does not touch the ice in the off season and it shows.

Last edited by elk eater; 12-30-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Look out there’s a broken droid model 338 on the loose and he’s gone bezerk!!!!

You do realize Calgary missed 7 playoffs in the last decade and Won only one round. Not exactly what I would call a dynasty. Marginally better than the Oilers in the regular season yes, but cancelled out by the two fist round choke artist demos they put out. In the last decade the oilers have won the same amount of rounds in the playoffs and have a one goal edge in playoff games won. The main goal in the NHL is to win the Stanley cup and the Oilers came closer to that goal than the Flames did in the last ten years.
Closer or had more opportunities in the last ten years, which do you prefer?

I'll take more kicks at the cat than a one year wonder myself, but to each his own.

There is one inescapable fact that no oiler fan will EVER bring up and in fact most hide under the bed when it's discussed.

That would be Edmonton's success, or more correctly lack of success relative to their enviable riches of first overall or very high first round draft picks.

Without question, with that many opportunities there is no valid reason for the level of futility and incompetence that franchise has had over the last decade plus.

This is a team that should be in the top quartile of league standings in the last decade, yet here we are with Edmonton fans making up phony metrics like "we got closer to the cup than you did one year" to justify their "success" relative to Calgary's.

Ask any unbiased NHL fan knowledgeable of league play in the last decade and you'd be hard pressed to find even one that would say Edmonton has performed better. It ain't a Calgary thing, it's a fact.

I've got to hand it to you guys though, you sure don't embarrass easily. Gotta love that "Oilers may be the worst Canadian team of the last decade, but I'll never quit trying to put lipstick on that pig" attitude!
Old 12-30-2019, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
I didn’t bring up the 80’s
Congratulations! You are an army of one.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:

I'm on record awhile back as saying Edmonton goaltending wasn't that good. Of course I got roasted for that. TM said I obviously didn't know what I was talking about.

Kinda hard to schedule off season training when you are playing hockey into June every year; except of course last year with the Flames.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you are going with this since Koskinen has had a better sv% than Rittich and Talbot up until December and is now even with them a .915. Smith has been a disappointment but what do you expect from a Calgary reject?
Old 12-30-2019, 11:19 PM

Why don't you guys start up a leafs or canucks thread so you can join together in hatred once in awhile ha.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah. and perhaps you can enlighten me on this: Why is it that whenever a discouraging word is posted on the Oiler's forum, the replies range from the classics like "oh yeah", "I know you are but what am I?" or "Have you forgotten the 80's already, it's only 2019
"

How many stars are you giving to Calgary since 2004? You guys finished 1st last year and we finished second in 2018. I think you need to worry more about your own team and their future. And if you think you are a voice of reason or a simple discouraging word on the Oilers threads then you are sadly mistaken. You are 100% negative with no positive feedback what so ever. It alright though, we are who we are.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Closer or had more opportunities in the last ten years, which do you prefer?

I'll take more kicks at the cat than a one year wonder myself, but to each his own.

There is one inescapable fact that no oiler fan will EVER bring up and in fact most hide under the bed when it's discussed.

That would be Edmonton's success, or more correctly lack of success relative to their enviable riches of first overall or very high first round draft picks.
!
Soooo Calgary has had the same amount of first round picks. Our excuse is management. What’s the Flames ?
Old 12-30-2019, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Kinda hard to schedule off season training when you are playing hockey into June every year; except of course last year with the Flames.
Really, so that makes it justifiable and OK?

Don't tell that to a true professional hockey player like a Sydney Crosby, they'll realize they're just wasting their time and take a summer off and steal their paycheck for year.

How many gulps of the Neal kool-aid did it take before you came up with that one?

I guess by your definition the Oilers must be one of the fittest teams in the league year in and year out.

I expected better of you BD, but then again your are an oilers fan.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Really, so that makes it justifiable and OK?

Don't tell that to a true professional hockey player like a Sydney Crosby, they'll realize they're just wasting their time and take a summer off and steal their paycheck for year.

How many gulps of the Neal kool-aid did it take before you came up with that one?

I guess by your definition the Oilers must be one of the fittest teams in the league year in and year out.

I expected better of you BD, but then again your are an oilers fan.
I don't know, is there 14 months in a year in a Calgary calendar? Neal didn't gel in Calgary, don't know why, but he was not because he was out of shape. Tired? maybe, not out of shape.

And please don't feel you need to expect better from me, I don't think I can live up to your expectations.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
How many stars are you giving to Calgary since 2004? You guys finished 1st last year and we finished second in 2018. I think you need to worry more about your own team and their future. And if you think you are a voice of reason or a simple discouraging word on the Oilers threads then you are sadly mistaken. You are 100% negative with no positive feedback what so ever. It alright though, we are who we are.
Duh, this is the Flames thread, who's worrying about who's team here?

Positives are really hard to come by when talking about the Oilers, especially when reality comes into play.

Aside from likely the best player in the league, who's wasting away in all the futility, what else is there? And don't bring up the German, without McDavid he's likely just another overpaid player in this league who's +- would be even lower, if that's possible.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Duh, this is the Flames thread, who's worrying about who's team here?

Positives are really hard to come by when talking about the Oilers, especially when reality comes into play.

Aside from likely the best player in the league, who's wasting away in all the futility, what else is there? And don't bring up the German, without McDavid he's likely just another overpaid player in this league who's +- would be even lower, if that's possible.
You are funny... go to post 1518. We were all talking about the Flames until you brought up the Oilers fans commenting on this thread, and then it went south from there.

But of course it must be the Oiler's fault like everything else in your world.