Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Crowns role to be fair, not necessarily to win

http://www.edelsonlaw.ca/news/show/46/8/0000/0

Our Courts have repeatedly said that the ideal prosecutor is a “minister of justice” who discharges his or her duty to the court in a fair and objective manner.

It is the Crown’s duty, therefore, not to secure a conviction at all costs, but to ensure that the evidence supporting the prosecution is put fairly before the court. For this reason, it is often said that the Crown never wins or loses.

Moreover, prosecutors are not permitted to express their personal opinions about the guilt or innocence of the accused or to engage in inflammatory rhetoric in the court proceedings. They must carry out their role with solemnity, dignity and professionalism.

Similarly, the Crown ought not to act as an advocate for the victim or the victim’s family. The criminal justice system is not a three-party proceeding and, in general, complainants or their relations have no standing in the criminal process.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Regardless of the prosecutors reasoning, he lost the Stanley case AND criminals were not held accountable. He failed in every way.
I disagree.

The evidence won/lost the case.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Banned

Don't like that he can't protect himself and family against vigilantism now...
Old 04-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
I disagree.

The evidence won/lost the case.
Quote:
This was a jury trial and there is nothing that I have read to indicate that the prosecutor was negligent in any way.

The evidence won the Stanley case, but the prosecutor granted immunity to armed thieves and gained nothing by doing so.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
The evidence won the Stanley case, but the prosecutor granted immunity to armed thieves and gained nothing by doing so.
Won the case! Lost the case! Which is it? You said both!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Even if the prosecution never granted immunity to the little thugs, the penalty if found guilty would of been laughable. We all know that they weren’t gonna do 5 years in prison..... a slap on the wrist at most. So really...does it matter if they were granted immunity? Not really.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Won the case! Lost the case! Which is it? You said both!
Stanley won a not guilty verdict, because of the evidence, the prosecutor lost the case, and gave up possible prosecutions on the vehicle occupants, in his losing attempt to get Stanley convicted. Even though Stanley won the case, he still lost a great deal.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Even if the prosecution never granted immunity to the little thugs, the penalty if found guilty would of been laughable. We all know that they weren’t gonna do 5 years in prison..... a slap on the wrist at most. So really...does it matter if they were granted immunity? Not really.
True but the principle of the matter comes to mind.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
So are you saying that because of our joke of a legal system, these people should not be charged when they commit criminal acts? So when they commit theft or firearms violations, we should just give them a free pass and ignore their crimes?

Quote:
True but the principle of the matter comes to mind.
If we just ignore their criminal actions, they will just keep living a life of crime, with zero reason to stop.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
So are you saying that because of our joke of a legal system, these people should not be charged when they commit criminal acts? So when they commit theft or firearms violations, we should just give them a free pass and ignore their crimes?
Did I say that’s what I think is right? That’s right elk... I never...I said it’s not a huge tragedy they weren’t persecuted because they would have a kindergarten timeout penalty. Thought that was pretty clear. Perhaps not for some.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:

If we just ignore their criminal actions, they will just keep living a life of crime, with zero reason to stop.
How’s it working so far elk? I mean these little thugs around the province that are charged. No repeat offenders? Bahahaha
Hate to break it to you but criminals have no reason to stop right now.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Did I say that’s what I think is right? That’s right elk... I never...I said it’s not a huge tragedy they weren’t persecuted because they would have a kindergarten timeout penalty. Thought that was pretty clear. Perhaps not for some.
There is a huge difference between persecution, and prosecution.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
He had them hanging all over his walls, in his bedroom, in the basement etc. None of them had trigger locks, none of them were locked up and there was ammunition within reach...

It was pure disregard for the law and anyone storing firearms the same way deserves to have them taken away and be given similar fines and firearm bans...
ALL OVER HIS WALLS? How so? He must of had a lot of guns and not many walls. Got two laying on the bed right now and one on the kitchen island. I guess that must mean they’re all over the bedroom and kitchen? If I went out side to introduce myself to somebody stealing something I guess I would be in the same predicament as Gerald?
Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Fellas, this one has been fully discussed and run its course. Too many deleted posts, suspensions, and overall drama.
Closed Thread