Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2013, 05:48 PM

Default Sako 85 Muzzle Brake

Anybody have any suggestions for a muzzle brake for a Sako 85 Finnlight in .300 Win Mag?? I have been told Jennings Outdoors in BC makes a very nice one but I would like to find something here in Central Alberta or Calgary.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Dave Henry is a talented and wood renown gunsmith in Bentley. He made me one and installed it for 280$ 7 years ago.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM

I would go with a side vent brake, because brakes that vent 360degrees will kick dirt n dust in your optics and face
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 PM

Contact Bob at Custom Gunworx. He'll set you up.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 AM

Corlanes (Rocky Mountain Rifles) in Dawson Creek get a vote from me.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
Corlanes (Rocky Mountain Rifles) in Dawson Creek get a vote from me.
X2
Old 04-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Those are lovely guns and I'm sure once in a while you will want to hunt within 500 yards of another hunter, so instead of ruining your rifle sell it and buy a 30-06.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 AM

If you want the gun for hunting and not just target shooting I would strongly suggest a Pachmeyer recoil pad and mercury suppressor mounted in the stock. That combo tamed a hard kicking 7 RUM very nicely and it doesn't require you and your hunting buddy to hunt with shooting muffs on.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM

Default Muzzle Breaks

Muzzle breaks in stainless steel or chrome moly blue are still $275, Pachmayr decelerators work wonders on stiff recoiling rifles. Regards David.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't even shot the rifle yet I've just been told it's a pretty mean beast. I had a Tikka T3 300WSM and I really had no issues shooting it so maybe the Finnlight will be just fine. Just seeing your opinions if it is too much.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM

I wouldn't put a brake on it...if its to much, I suspect it won't be if u shot a 300 with no issues, sell it and buy a 30-06 or a 270 win
Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Brakes

I did not want to be the only one to suggest trying a caliber you can shoot without having recoil issues. Working your shooting skills up to the 300.

I am not slamming the smiths that do great work in modifying guns by any means. But learning to shoot the gun with the recoil it has makes you a better shooter.

A braked 300 WM is rude (noise). Adding a recoil pad is ok but altering the barrel of a beautiful gun so you can shoot it does not make sense to me. It will reduce the value of the gun.

If you don't reload, find someone to create some tame loads for you to build your skills on. If you can't shoot properly because the recoil is an issue get a different caliber that allows you to shoot it well. It took me tons of practice to shoot my 338 WM well. Getting rid of a flinch induced by being scared of the gun takes a pile of work.

My friend braked 300 because it was gift and he wanted to shoot it. It sits in the safe and he loves his 338 Fed.

Good Luck with your decisions.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 PM

I happen to have the Sako 85 finnlight stainless in .300 win mag

it is a very good rifle and it does not kick anything near the Safari BAR II .338 I had before...I did go from 250 grain bullets to 210 grain and that made a subtle difference with the BAR..

that said I installed a limbsaver pad and the difference is amazing..(I did install a limbsaver on the .338 and it too made a huge difference over the factory Browning "tire tread"!!)

limbsaver does not list a part specifically for the 85 synthetic stock but the T3 part number does in fact fit perfectly the height of the butt end of the stock and is just shy of the width of the butt end of the stock. I made up the difference with "right stuff" adhesive/gasket from loctite/permatex and used a padded clamp to squeeze in the butt end to flush. It would be hard to visually see this slight "imperfection"

to further mitigate the recoil you can freely choose your scope with no worry of weight...I have a Nikon Tactical scope and it is a beast at almost 25 oz...

if it helps I have found the Federal Trophy Copper round in 180 grain to be the most consistent and accurate out of 5 rounds tried while sighting/practicing..

as for performance? Cow moose, 256 yards, 1" entry hole straight through rib, heart was completely obliterated, lungs looked like someone took a spade bit to them and 3" exit hole straight through second rib....no shrapnel at all...moose leaned in to an arc with 2 steps and dropped...humane, instant and clean...definition of a good bullet

Last edited by newagespeed; 09-07-2013 at 05:46 PM.