Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Please take a moment and look at this site. It is very clear that life jackets should be worn over pfd's. I would think that when you are dealing with children this is very important. It all boils down to what kind of riskyou are willing to take.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...n-1324.htm#lj2
Wow! Thanks for posting that. I honestly didn't know there was a difference. I thought a life jacket was a personal floatation device. My kids have life jackets and I guess I only have pfds for adults in my boat.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Please take a moment and look at this site. It is very clear that life jackets should be worn over pfd's. I would think that when you are dealing with children this is very important. It all boils down to what kind of riskyou are willing to take.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant that lifejacket should be worn instead of pfds, not over (like layered on top of) PFDs. LOL

however, even then I don't completely agree with you. I think that in certain situations (such as whitewater kayaking or waterskiing) a lifejacket is likely to restrict your movement, catch on things, etc. to such a degree that it could be deemed unsafe. I agree that if you are simply dumped into water that is not too cold and you are unconcious a lifejacket would be better.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM

do most of my fishing from a canoe, so I wear mine full time. Even in a bigger boat, I dont float so good

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
do most of my fishing from a canoe, so I wear mine full time. Even in a bigger boat, I dont float so good
You are lucky. I've gained weight over the years. Fat floats better than muscle. LOL
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Fishingnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You are lucky. I've gained weight over the years. Fat floats better than muscle. LOL
keeps us warm in the water too
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Tracker View Post
Was just wondering how many people wear their lifejackets(pfd's) while boating.
All of us in my family (including the inlaws) wear them while boating: unless we are on a house boat. Actually, no one gets on our boats (canoes, kayaks, motorboats, and jetskis) without them. (period).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Thats why I never tried to drown my ex, even tho it would have been a lot cheaper than a divorce. Guess I could have tied a blinking light to her and thrown her in a shipping channel

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM

For any one looking for the inflatable life jackets I noticed while in the boat shop in Gibbons they had them on sale $149.00.Didn't look at them real close as I was spending enough money aready that day.Might go back this weekend when I get out of camp.Happy fishing
Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Fishingnutter

we had to watch this several times before our course started,,, a good wake up call to how quickly things can change. 20 seconds once you spot the water coming on board.

I'm looking thru my files for a great article on getting stuck in the fog, will post when found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltgA...ext=1&index=39

maybe a bunch of "did you know" safety tips should run alongside the border of this page. great thread!!!!

Last edited by Fishingnutter; 06-01-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Fishingnutter

Not the fog article i was looking for but damn good!!! Though it's from a sailing mag, it has good advice. One thing missing,,, always have about 50 feet of floating rope with you, if your electronics fail and you don't have a compass, run the line off the side of the boat. Since you won't be gunning it and moving slowly it will let you know if you are turning, which when your brain is trying to figure out so much at once, will likely happen. The new hand pump horns are worth their weight in gold. I know I'm on the coast but fog happens inland from time to time on the bigger lakes and preparedness is key.

I had to take the course for my job and it's worth the money,, the details on dealing with hypothermia and secondary drowning was astounding and it's more of a drivers license as opposed learners license. This site has some details, I took mine through another company with Transport Canada.

http://www.homeandweb.com/marine-safety-training.htm

Sailing in fog
Summer sailing and fog seem to be inextricably linked in some parts of the country, and everyone who races or cruises will run into a bank of the gray stuff at one time or another. When you do, your priorities change from making good time toward your destination to not running into other traffic and not running aground.

Modern electronics have taken some of the angst out of coping with fog. With GPS, at least you'll always know where you are, so grounding's not so much of a worry. Radar is the greatest asset you can have when fog closes in on you; there is no more terrifying sound at sea than the throbbing diesels of an invisible ship, and being able to track its course on a radar screen is far preferable to cowering in the cockpit waiting for a bow wave to loom out of the mist.

But it would be foolish to place all your trust in electronics. The smaller your vessel, the less likely it will produce a radar echo—that a ship will see your tiny echo on its own radar, or even that a watchkeeper is checking the radar, is not guaranteed. Let's hope you have a proper radar reflector, not one of those bird-feeder look-alikes, and that it works well.

If you don't have radar, your ears are your best defense. It's a shame you can’t rely on them. Sound travels a long way over the water, but in fog it's hard to tell which direction it is coming from. Differentials in temperature and wind create skip zones over which sound waves travel in a curve, sometimes returning to sea level several miles away. The upshot is that you may be hearing an engine or foghorn close by on your port side that actually belongs to a ship some way off to starboard, or you may hear nothing at all until the other vessel is very close indeed.

I always try to make the boat as quiet as possible. This can be difficult. If you're under sail the noise of the bow wave is annoyingly intrusive. If the engine is running, only someone on the bow will be able to hear anything else. It's best to have two listeners, each scanning one side of the boat. I was taught to concentrate in fog by cupping my hands over my ears and closing my eyes; this doesn't look very cool, but it works.

Some vessels make the required sound signals, and others do not. Usually the offenders are other sailboats or powerboats whose aerosol foghorns have run out of puff. You should always have a backup noisemaker on board so you can give the required one-prolonged-two-short blasts every two minutes (one prolonged blast if you're under power). Even whacking the boom with a skillet is better than no noise at all. Bone up on the Rules of the Road for a thorough guide to sound signals.

At the first sign of fog we immediately mark our position on the chart and always keep up a running plot if we are within a few miles of the coast.

We've also always insisted the crew put on PFDs and harnesses, too; I would hate to have to try to retrieve a man-overboard in dense fog. If we're in a heavily trafficked coastal area, we'll head toward the coast and shallower water, well away from the big ships. When it comes to fog, discretion is most definitely the better part of valor. P.N.

Pilotage
Keep on track
For close piloting inshore, it is important to steer down a straight track from one navigation mark to the next. Merely aiming the boat will not be enough if there is any crosscurrent. As soon as you round a mark, line up the following one with some convenient object behind it. This will establish a natural range. As long as you stay on the range with the objects in line, you must be on the straightest track. Casual ranges are not always as obvious as the one shown in the photo above, but anything at all will do—even a distant cloud if there isn’t much wind and the leg is a short one. T.C.

Words from the Wise
"Without the proper chart table and working space found on larger craft, the navigator of a small family cruiser spends much of his time doing what is called 'coastal pilotage...' He learns to look at a chart and see it as a three-dimensional shoreline, and to look at the land and visualize it as a flat chart. What he is really doing is nautical map reading. Far be it from me to suggest that it is unnecessary to learn the more formal navigation methods. On the contrary, to cruise safely and successfully a sound knowledge of coastal navigation principles is essential. But it is as well to realize that while you can keep up an accurate plot in fine and settled weather, as soon as bit of a sea gets up, or the weather closes in, in fact just when you need a good plot, you are likely to have your hands full coping with the boat, and all you will be able to do is sail by eye."

Last edited by Fishingnutter; 06-02-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant that lifejacket should be worn instead of pfds, not over (like layered on top of) PFDs. LOL

however, even then I don't completely agree with you. I think that in certain situations (such as whitewater kayaking or waterskiing) a lifejacket is likely to restrict your movement, catch on things, etc. to such a degree that it could be deemed unsafe. I agree that if you are simply dumped into water that is not too cold and you are unconcious a lifejacket would be better.
I wonder if you would take that gamble with children or your other half.
Common sense is the right approach.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I wonder if you would take that gamble with children or your other half.
Common sense is the right approach.
Well I wouldn't run whitewater with small children, that is where my common sense comes in. As for my other half I doubt she would want to paddle far in an actual lifejacket. They are cumbersome and not designed for paddling, whitewater, etc. As well, they are designed to be worn loose, not tightly strapped to the body, a feature you want in some water activities. I would hazard to guess that being washed down a fast moving river you are more likely to become snagged on a branch or underwater log in a lifejacket.

Yes, as I've said, if you are knocked unconcious in still water a lifejacket is better, but it loses that advantage if it inhibits movement unsafely or is so cumbersome that people simply refuse to wear them. But if you and the family all wear those Solas or Standard keyhole lifejackets when you boat on a lake that's great. I can't knock that decision at all.