Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Default To the poacher on Coalcamp:

Thanks for the meal!

My friend was a little pertrubed at how you shot the mule deer on his property from your truck.

All is forgiven now because he really appreciated the fact that you dressed out the deer (a little sloppily though I must add) and then lugged it all the way to your truck where you donated it to the nice warden that suddenly showed up to assist you in picking your brass off of the road. The warden, in turn, donated it to the landowner -- my friend -- and we had the tenderloins for lunch yesterday.

It was so nice of you to go through all that effort and then also have the privilege of further donating $3200 to our provincial government's coffers -- we are in a recession you know so your "donations" on all fronts are highly appreciated.

P.S. Not tagging it made it much easier to get it up on the meat pole.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Did you guys call RAP, or did the warden just happen to be driving by?

8 times out of 10 it seems like poachers get away with stuff like that. Nice to see one caught for a change.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Pass a thank you and a job well done to your freind sjemac.

I can't stand tresspassers myself.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up

Good to hear!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up

Thats awesome news!!!!
Good for him for getting caught!!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Did you guys call RAP, or did the warden just happen to be driving by?

8 times out of 10 it seems like poachers get away with stuff like that. Nice to see one caught for a change.
Both. Landowner called the warden who just happened to be coming out that way at the time.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Lol great story with a great outcome. Glad to see the S.O.B got caught. Was he poaching by shooting a deer with no license or by shooting a deer on private property?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM

good to hear...

so he loses the deer and pays 3200 bucks...does he also lose his privilege to hunt?? just curious as to what else comes about from this charge?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
Lol great story with a great outcome. Glad to see the S.O.B got caught. Was he poaching by shooting a deer with no license or by shooting a deer on private property?
Not sure of the exact charges but one was definitely shooting from a vehicle (that one always seems to go for 1700 in the Alberta Game Warden). The illegal possession of wildlife always seems to be 1500, so those two would make sense. If he didn't tag the animal he'd likely get the illegal possession charge regardless of having a tag or not.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Glad he got caught !
Old 11-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

Lots of trespassing poachers in that area
We set up a camp out that way most season and bow hunt. Most weekend nights when sitting around the fire we hear the gunfire...Nothin like road hunting in the dark after a night of drinkin'!

Glad he got caught.

What the latest with the horse poachers up there? Heard anything?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Good to hear a nice stiff penalty for all the BS the poachers are doing. gratz to the landowner for calling it in asap
Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
Was he poaching by shooting a deer with no license
I would think so.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Wasn't one of those notorious local poachers, that hang out there? I could mention names, but I'll restrain myself.

Grizz
Old 11-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Wow:
He must have plead "No Contest", because I'm pretty sure fines of this nature, and forfiture of game etc, need to be processed thru the court system..

I might be wrong, but it seems a might fast for the "wheels of justice" to turn so quickly.

And all this in a park too boot, cause where else would you find a Warden.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Wow:
He must have plead "No Contest", because I'm pretty sure fines of this nature, and forfiture of game etc, need to be processed thru the court system..

I might be wrong, but it seems a might fast for the "wheels of justice" to turn so quickly.

And all this in a park too boot, cause where else would you find a Warden.

Now. Now. I imagine that the fines I mentioned are what the total will be if he is convicted of everything. I expect that like most cases, he'll plead to one to make the other go away. The warden didn't seem to think the landowner would have to go to court since the guy confessed to everything right off.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Now. Now. I imagine that the fines I mentioned are what the total will be if he is convicted of everything. I expect that like most cases, he'll plead to one to make the other go away. The warden didn't seem to think the landowner would have to go to court since the guy confessed to everything right off.

Call the poor fellow what it says on his shoulder flash "Fish and Wildlife Officer" I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Kind of like calling a Sailor a Soldier. Unless he's a Marine it does'nt always go over the best, regardless of what they may say to your face.

Warden's work in park's.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 11-16-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Nice to see a trespasser get caught for a change.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Dick, Dick,, an officer is a Game Warden, a Fish and Wildlife Officer, a Fish Cop, Fur and Feathers Guy, SRD Officer Whatever!!!...the meaning is all the same!!!...No wonder guys get a little iffy about posting here!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Dick, Dick,, an officer is a Game Warden, a Fish and Wildlife Officer, a Fish Cop, Fur and Feathers Guy, SRD Officer Whatever!!!...the meaning is all the same!!!...No wonder guys get a little iffy about posting here!!!

I know what the fellow meant Hal.

Of all the Fish and Wildlife Officers I've met (20 or so annualy when the qualify at our range) none are particularily fond of the CO handle, and even less fond of being called a Warden.

If you want to look like your personable with these folks maybe try to at least use their proper title that's all.

It adds some measure of credence to your story and claims that way.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Gone Hunting

If they are that "thin skinned"...then that explains a lot of posts here about there arrogant attitudes (some , not all). sorry but they might have to get over their hissy fit and understand that they're called different things in each province...and get used to it.... BTW, officially they are SRD Officers
Old 11-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Here we go again....another perfectly valid thread goes down the ****ter because of some trivial ballbusting...
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I know what the fellow meant Hal.

Of all the Fish and Wildlife Officers I've met (20 or so annualy when the qualify at our range) none are particularily fond of the CO handle, and even less fond of being called a Warden.

If you want to look like your personable with these folks maybe try to at least use their proper title that's all.

It adds some measure of credence to your story and claims that way.
I never indicated that I even talked to the warden. Just relaying the story I got from my friend who isn't in the habit of lying and has a spine shot mule deer and the exhibit report all nicley signed with badge number and everything to back his story.

I grew up calling them game wardens all my life and see no reason to change simply because you got your britches in a burr.

I know what we grew up calling the likes of you though. But don't worry, I won't have to change a thing about YOUR name.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-17-2009, 07:33 AM

guys, get over it. It's a name and doesn't matter... If they get that offended by a title then they really need to work on their people skills... I'm Italian and could care less what you call me, Wop, Luigi, Pastaman, greaseball(feel free to throw in any others that come to mind... really i dont mind). I also have a big fancy title that most people cant bother to remember, I dont mind getting called something shorter and more general. The point is not what they call me but THAT they call me. Who cares? Its not what people call you, its how they treat you and as far as I read, the guy refered to the "warden" with a respectful tone and mannerism and was not using the term derogatory so give it a rest. Don't go causing sh it when we're all friends here and nobody was slamming the officers. Around my camp btw they are all refered to as Fish Cops. Grow up people and stop fighting each other. Fight the damn poachers that **** off all the land owners and shoot horses.
Save your breath for stuff that matters.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Call the poor fellow what it says on his shoulder flash "Fish and Wildlife Officer" I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Kind of like calling a Sailor a Soldier. Unless he's a Marine it does'nt always go over the best, regardless of what they may say to your face.

Warden's work in park's.
Ever hear of the Alberta Game Warden Association??How about Alb Game warden/Western Canadian Game Warden magazine???How much could they or any-one else care???
Old 12-20-2009, 01:18 AM

Exclamation Good Work !!

This sounds like a good piece of work by the Fish and Wildlife Officer. Good on the landowner for calling the RAP line, and perfect timing for the Officer to be out that way.

Nice to see this trespasser get caught. If the courts applied maximum penalties for each offence, then perhaps the message would get out, but I highly doubt it.

If more people would call in with what they see, and not be afraid "to get involved" then more of these wildlife criminals would be caught.

Mr. Conservation
Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 PM

had 1 pulled out this season , again shot off the road but this time they gutted it 100yd from road then drove in and loaded up. will let FW decoy next year. Have had enough, every year they drag them under the no hunting signs. Hunting season used to be fun but sucks now with all the poaching
Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=BowhuntAB;433900
What the latest with the horse poachers up there? Heard anything?[/QUOTE]

Heard of a couple shot near bearberry but didnt hear alot about it, so not sure if its true or not. Wild horse society must not need any publicity? LOL
Old 12-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Good on your bud for reporting this SOB.I think the fines for poaching should be WAY more.Even if this guy looses his "hunting" Rights I mean poaching.Do you think that will stop him next time,if he is willing to shot a deer from the road on posted land,tresspass to get the animal ,and not tag it,I think he will do it again unless the fines for poaching get stronger.