Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Possible Road Trip

Hey folks, we are thinking about makin a mad dash down to Post Falls to get some Cabelas stuff. We are lookin at gettin their 1.5 hp grinder, bunk bed cot set-up, for the kids in the camper, and their big vaccum sealer.
We know the shipping for these would be a killer, so over a flat of Kokanee last night, my hunting partner and I decided, if we split the fuel costs, and drive down, it may be cheaper, but further more, good idea for a road trip.
The thing I am not sure of though, is a person even allowed to go stateside, buy a couple grand worth of stuff, then bring it up, or do you have to pay dearly at the border with fees and duty and whatnot. I have not been in the US for 20 years, so I am a little unsure on what you can do, and can not do.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Info here

24 hours = $50
48 hours = $400
7 days or more = $750

not including the date you left and the date you return.

any more than that and you pay duty.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 AM

Sounds like a fun trip Brady. I think it works like this...If what you by is manufactured in the US, you pay no duty hence the free trade agreement. I think you are allowed $50 gst free if you are only there for 1 day or $750 gst free if you are there for 7 days. So, you will be paying the 5% gst on everything you buy minus the amount you are alloted pending the number of days you are down there. Still, you are saving money on most or everything you buy down there. Make your list and figure out what it would cost you to buy the items here before you go down there. Take a Wholesale Sports catalogue down with you. Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
340wtby

If the stuff you buy is made in North America you won't have to pay duty on it. I am pretty sure you must pay GST on everything though.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM

I don't know if diving will really be any cheaper then the shipping, But I'd drive just to see the store
Old 03-31-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Hey folks, we are thinking about makin a mad dash down to Post Falls to get some Cabelas stuff. We are lookin at gettin their 1.5 hp grinder, bunk bed cot set-up, for the kids in the camper, and their big vaccum sealer.
We know the shipping for these would be a killer, so over a flat of Kokanee last night, my hunting partner and I decided, if we split the fuel costs, and drive down, it may be cheaper, but further more, good idea for a road trip.
The thing I am not sure of though, is a person even allowed to go stateside, buy a couple grand worth of stuff, then bring it up, or do you have to pay dearly at the border with fees and duty and whatnot. I have not been in the US for 20 years, so I am a little unsure on what you can do, and can not do.
one thing you can do with Cabelas is buy the stuff online and have it shipped to a store. That way you get to pay the online prices and pay no duty etc., and you know it's going to be there when you show up. There are great deals online and you don't know if it's in stock or even sold at the store.

With the gas prices, can't see how it would be cheaper to drive to Post Falls...
Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Brady,
It is a good idea to order the stuff on-line or call in your order as one Cabela's rep told me, only a quarter of the stuff in their catalogues are actually in the stores.
As for exemptions, you go over the $50 on the 1 day, you don't get that exemption. Count the day that you return, but don't count the day you leave on a 7 day or more trip.
I realize gas prices would eat up much of your savings, but it would be a great road trip.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:34 PM

I like their commercial grinders for sure. That 1.5 hp is super!

NO DUTY on anything made in US/Mexico NONE. 5% GST is all you pay. If its just a day trip you don't get any exemptions (i.e., the 50/400/750 exemptions). So 5% is no big deal....you would pay it anyway if you bought it here. GO SHOPPING. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO LOL

Lots of camo clothing is made in Asia and the duty on that stuff brings the price up for sure............without looking at the tariffs I'm thinking around 21%???????? So looking at where stuff is made maybe worthwhile to you.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 PM

I just did a 'one-day-fast-trip' to the Post Falls Cabela's 2 weeks ago, and dropped a pile of $$. Here's some tips..

Heybert's right - if you think everything you see in the catalogue will be at the store - you'll be sorely disappointed. However, the Post Falls location is one of the Cabelas stores that you can order 'too' from their central warehouse (Nebraska), and then pick up your stuff - without paying any shipping. So order the stuff you know you want to buy over the phone and have them ship it to the Post Falls store. Giver the 5 to 8 days to get it there for you.

When you're coming back into Canada, and show your Cabela's reciept to the Canadian customs officer, he/she'll probably ask "what sort of stuff did you buy?". If it's primarily fishing or hunting stuff, they might assume that it's mainly 'made in USA' stuff and only charge you the 5% GST on the total reciept (like they did with me). If you say that it's mainly clothing - they'll assume that it's foriegn made, and charge you the duty as well as the GST (as they did with my buddy) Of course they have every right to examine each item and check for country of manufacturer - if they want to bother.

I found their selection (compared to their catalogues) not that great - but it's still far more than you'll find locally and there's enough stuff to keep you busy for a day - especially the firearms section!

And when you're in the Cabela's restaurant - be sure to check out their Prime Rib sandwich for $6.99!!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM

Thumper - where in Alberta did you head down from? How far of a drive? I'm thinking of making a run from Calgary sometime.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:45 PM

Brady, I'm sure you are looking forward to the trip and cheaper prices but remember, Bass Pro is almost here. Maybe as soon as summer.

I have recently been pricing some trail cams and have decided to wait for BP in Balzac to open. I'm expecting grand opening to be a huge day of sales.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM

Duk Dog

We went down to Post Falls and back from our cabin at Moyie Lake - just south of Cranbrook. Used the border crossing at Kingsgate. Exactly 3 hours door to door, non-stop.

Not sure how far it would be from Calgary.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 PM

When I was in the states this past summer you were allowed 750 bucks each person each day you were in the states, and albertians dont pay tax down there . show them your alberta drivers license and they dont tax you .
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowchaser View Post
With the gas prices, can't see how it would be cheaper to drive to Post Falls...
Dude gas is like a 1 /4 of the price as what we pay there , its probably 310 a gallon which is quite alot cheeper then here cant remember if a us gallon is 4 liters or what it is but I fill my truck up here for a 120 bucks and fill it up there for 45 .
Old 04-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Cabelas needed 3 weeks to gather up my order.

I went down to the one in Boise last october and they needed 3 weeks to get everything that I ordered to their store.I had to postpone the trip by one week so that they could get it all gathered up.I dropped about $1700(not just at Cabelas) and I THINK that it only cost me around $70 or $80 at the border.We were down for 4 days.And yes fuel is cheaper,I could fill up with premium for less than regular is worth here.But not much cheaper.BTW the trip from Boise to Missoula through the mountains,is one of the most scenic runs I have ever been on.It was sort of like the trunk road from Nordegg to the Mountain Aire lodge but paved.And less traffic.It was October though.I learned REAL quick,when the sign says slow down to 20 mph,slow down to 20mph!!!WOW.
Trevor M
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Default This is for you John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
When I was in the states this past summer you were allowed 750 bucks each person each day you were in the states, and albertians dont pay tax down there . show them your alberta drivers license and they dont tax you .
http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/mc/pag...220&orgId=fdfa or
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P021

You can claim the $750.00 CDN exemption anytime you have been out of Canada for at least 7 days

Quote:
Dude gas is like a 1 /4 of the price as what we pay there , its probably 310 a gallon which is quite alot cheeper then here cant remember if a us gallon is 4 liters or what it is but I fill my truck up here for a 120 bucks and fill it up there for 45 .
gas is $12 a gal here?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM

Tuc,
Hate to tell you this, but BP won't be open until next year (June?). They can't open earlier than the rest of the mall.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:06 AM

Alot of misconceptions on this thread! Currently I live 10 minutes from the border,, cross over weekly too shop basicly.. was over yesterday actually for a couple hours.

Clothing made in china or whereever you will not pay 21%,, more than likely it will be the 5%. Gas is about 20-25 cents a litre cheaper there than you will pay here(always!), Do not buy alcohol or tobacco too bring back unless you are there for atleast 48 hours or they will tax you like crazy on it!(its so tempting when you see that 18 pack of blue for $12 and 40 oz of vodka for $13)

If you think your going too find stuff at basspro in canada cheaper,, think again!!! ive been to the one in toronto,, belive me they wont do you any favours!

Cabelas is more expensive,, find a sportsmans wearhouse too shop at. Pain to buy guns there,, muzzleloaders are an acception,, ammo more than likely you can buy(although illegal for a canadian too possess in the U.S.,, they will all sell it to you!).

Make sure you stop and buy groceries there,, im serious!! We go over weekly,, with the "buy one get one or even two" deals you can get there,, it is worth it! Generally paper products are more expensive there. We bought whole chickens yesterday,, 69 cents a pound and boneless skinless for 1.49 a pound.

If you are bringing the wife and want to go buy clothing,, find a kohl's store.. trust me its worth it.. she spends 500 in there.. you will have 4-5 hours to do what you want, and she will save easily a $1000 on that 500 purchase!

DECLARE EVERYTHING ON THE WAY ACROSS THE BORDER BOTH WAYS!!!

anyone has and questions you can pm me,, I have lots of experience shopping in the U.S. and border crossing.

Last edited by ontario gunner; 04-02-2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Default A lot of misconceptions on this thread????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario gunner View Post
Alot of misconceptions on this thread! Currently I live 10 minutes from the border,, cross over weekly too shop basicly.. was over yesterday actually for a couple hours.

Clothing made in china or whereever you will not pay 21%,, more than likely it will be the 5%. Gas is about 20-25 cents a litre cheaper there than you will pay here(always!), Do not buy alcohol or tobacco too bring back unless you are there for atleast 48 hours or they will tax you like crazy on it!(its so tempting when you see that 18 pack of blue for $12 and 40 oz of vodka for $13)

If you think your going too find stuff at basspro in canada cheaper,, think again!!! ive been to the one in toronto,, belive me they wont do you any favours!

Cabelas is more expensive,, find a sportsmans wearhouse too shop at. Pain to buy guns there,, muzzleloaders are an acception,, ammo more than likely you can buy(although illegal for a canadian too possess in the U.S.,, they will all sell it to you!).

Make sure you stop and buy groceries there,, im serious!! We go over weekly,, with the "buy one get one or even two" deals you can get there,, it is worth it! Generally paper products are more expensive there. We bought whole chickens yesterday,, 69 cents a pound and boneless skinless for 1.49 a pound.

If you are bringing the wife and want to go buy clothing,, find a kohl's store.. trust me its worth it.. she spends 500 in there.. you will have 4-5 hours to do what you want, and she will save easily a $1000 on that 500 purchase!

DECLARE EVERYTHING ON THE WAY ACROSS THE BORDER BOTH WAYS!!!

anyone has and questions you can pm me,, I have lots of experience shopping in the U.S. and border crossing.
References:

List of Countries and Applicable Tariff Treatments
Most Recent Customs Tariff
Customs Tariff - Schedule - Section XI - Textiles and Textile Articles

I like references. I typed 21% in my post above because that was what I was thinking I read (some time ago) in the references I quoted above. However, reviewing the references again, the most recent customs tariff, I see that 18% (as low as 15%)is the prevailing rate for textiles under the MFN Tariff (the Tariff usually in force for most Asian countries). Your 5% off-the-cuff suggestion is a little off the mark.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM

My remark is NOT off the cuff.. I cross the border too shop weekly and have for 35+ years. I have NEVER seen them go thru clothing too check where it was made at,, its too much work and backups would be 10 miles long if they checked for that.

Your talking goods being brought in for commercial purposes. Bringing clothing into Canada for my own personal use,, they will charge gst at 5% and pst at 8%,, since there is no PST in Alberta,, you would be charged 5%... there is NO duty on clothing brought in for personal use..

Dont believe me,,, call this number and ask them what taxes and duties you will pay on clothing brought in for personal use and purchased in the United States.. this is the number to Canada Customs 519-257-6510.. By the way,, I just got off the phone with them,, I know what they will tell you!

Prove me wrong and ill eat the keys off my computer!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 PM

uhhhhhhh. Nope. I don't care how many times you cross the border and come back. The references are not for commercial purposes. I have been subject to bringing every item of clothing into the shed and having every label inspected. You pay what the tariff says. The references are good. If your experiences are different, you were provided a courtesy. Phone them back...........and tell them you want to purchase textiles (trousers/coat and what fibres it is made of etc, etc, etc) from China, for personal use, and what is the MFN rate? I hear a crunch crunch crunch.....

It's good to be given courtesy at the border....I like it too. But the reality is in the references and what you declare. It's the origin of manufacturing that is important not the country where you purchased it.

Your intentions with this post are good. But the duty on foreign goods that you quote is not. We aren't hicks in this province lol. We know we don't pay pst too......and I don't regret coming from a border city in Ontario (Sault Ste Marie). Not that that makes me an expert at anything.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/mc/pag...220&orgId=fdfa or
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P021

You can claim the $750.00 CDN exemption anytime you have been out of Canada for at least 7 days

gas is $12 a gal here?
I fill up with premium , as my hemi doesnt suck it back seems to last a bit longer and yeah im paying a 138.9 a litire , and a 98 litres its just over 120 bucks but places here in town give 7 cents off a litre.