Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Riflescopes and ebay - Litmus Test

Is this something that really needs to be discussed? I think so. Why? Because there are non-believers spreading their non-belief.

1. Ask yourself: Am I aware of any prohibitions of purchasing/importing a riflescope from ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD to Canada? Answer = No.

2. Should I be concerned with this? Maybe. A riflescope is by itself an innocuous item. However, given OUR country’s phobia with weapon systems, some due-diligence may be in order. Who do you check with? CBSA? That would be logical. CBSA has no restriction with the importation of riflescopes. Are you satisfied that you performed due diligence? Yes. If not yes, than what is it that prompts you to investigate further and to who are you going to direct your question? Remember that you said you have no knowledge of any prohibition and the government of Canada confirms that the importation of riflescopes is not prohibited/restricted…..that being the case there is absolutely nothing that would prompt you to look elsewhere (NOTHING). Make your case if you think there is something that you can think of that would prompt you to further investigate the purchase of a riflescope, a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, a fishing rod, a crossbow, a pellet gun (sub 500 fps)…….knowing that all these item are perfectly legal to enter Canada.

3. Search ebay for riflescopes.

4. Select riflescope of your liking that indicates shipping to Canada is available (if it is located outside Canada).

5. Bid on item.

6. Win Item (maybe lol).

7. Pay for Item (if successful at item 6).

8. Receive item (if successful at item 6, paid for at 7).

Here is where the Litmus test fails. The fear factor…

You believe you have some information that precludes you from purchasing a riflescope from somewhere. How did you accumulate this knowledge? Did you stumble across it when attempting to purchase a scope online? In this case do you describe yourself as being ignorant of the law before the fact and now you are knowledgeable after the fact? Is this knowledge reputable? Is it current? Does this law apply to you or someone else?
So you believe you know US law: Do you tell a US citizen that THEY must have an export license in order to ship a scope to you or do you let that person or business deal with that all on their own? Why would you feel it is important to tell a US business or person on how to apply their own laws? Now that we have discussed purchasing a scope from the US….how do you feel about purchasing a riflescope from any country on this planet? What is you knowledge on this level? The only answer you really need or want is: The answer from CBSA that says we can import riflescopes without restriction.

People who have stumbled across export license requirements or have read threads on the internet that point to that requirement, or have never been to the USA, or have never purchased anything on ebay, or have never bothered to read the references (they are available online) are not sources that I would give any credibility too. You as a purchaser are not guilty of any crime by shopping for and purchasing a riflescope on ebay from any country in the world. You are being deprived by some who promote fear and spin doctor about your name appearing on a Homeland Security watch list if you do such a thing. That is fear mongering.

On another note……When entering into Canada with an item that is prohibited (unknown to you for some reason) and we fully disclose/declare what we are importing…..what law have we broken? Up to that point….none. Always declare what you have…….customs will determine what can enter this country. If it is prohibited they will seize it. That is our line of defence. That is your obligation/commitment to this country.

ebay has been good to me. I’ve sold/purchased many items. I’ve never been ripped off so I have not tested PayPal’s reimbursement policy. If you did not receive an item because of the lack of an export permit, that is not your problem. That is the sellers problem. They would have to reimburse you if the item was seized. Has that ever happened? Never heard of it. One thing is certain…………………You are not a criminal, you are not irresponsible, you are not flirting with the law. You’re a good man looking for a good deal.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
The fear factor…
Yes most fear what they dont know .
Quote:
ebay has been good to me. I’ve sold/purchased many items.
ebay has been great to me also can not and will not complain.Very good post ehntr" i liked it "thanks.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
So you believe you know US law: Do you tell a US citizen that THEY must have an export license in order to ship a scope to you or do you let that person or business deal with that all on their own? Why would you feel it is important to tell a US business or person on how to apply their own laws? Now that we have discussed purchasing a scope from the US….how do you feel about purchasing a riflescope from any country on this planet? What is you knowledge on this level? The only answer you really need or want is: The answer from CBSA that says we can import riflescopes without restriction.
I'd think that if you really want to be safe you would inform the seller that there may be an export restriction (although, does this apply to used equipment? I don't know) and that they should look into it.

Ultimately it is their responsibility. I've purchased a few things over e-bay that probably should have had an export permit. The seller either didn't know about it or full out told me that it didn't apply to the "telescope" I was buying. Their call. I don't feel completely comfortable knowing that a transaction I was involved in wasn't completely legal but I also think it is hypocritical of the US gov to restrict the transfer of these items while they send out huge amounts of arms around the world.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Default So far so Good

ebay has been good to me as well the adds for the 2 scopes I have purchased clearly state ship to Canada these guys no the value of our business at this time I have made 20 purchases and 2 sales and love it I would not hesitate for a minute.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Default So far so Good

x2
hrlakay
Old 04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

I have ordered scopes from Cabelas,Bass pro and Natchez and have been refused by all three.My last two pay-pal purchases from e-bay have been followed by spoof mail requesting credit card and bank account information.I canceled the account over security as I didn't like the idea that a hacker could even find out that I had an account.So shop at your own peril.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 PM

My ebay account got hacked, and somebody tried to sell a new, expensive Toyota SUV on it... what a joke, I hate ebay.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Default ebay

Wow me too!!! Ebay fixed the problem and i have gotten 3 scopes on ebay and it has been great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
My ebay account got hacked, and somebody tried to sell a new, expensive Toyota SUV on it... what a joke, I hate ebay.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM

I guess ebay is a good place to start shopping- lots of grey market sellers with rock bottom prices. Lots of suckers and lots of crooks too.
I travel to the USA often and to tell you the truth I haven't bought much of anything in Canada for the past 10 years or so. Last time I was back East I made a quick trip across the border to a buddy's place and picked up 2 scopes I had shipped there- 1/2 the price of what the retailers in Canada wanted, plus no tax and free UPS shipping. Total expense at my end was about $20 in gas and $2 toll at the bridge. But, it is technically illegal, as the US does not allow the export of riflescopes without proper export permits. I couldn't care less.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 AM

My mother sent me a riflescope for christmas from the states. No idea there would be a problem as it was marked scope and came through fine.