Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Info On Buying A Truck From States

Guys i am going ot buy a new truck and im wondering what a person has to do as far as getting it home.
i know i have to have the bill of sale to the border 72 hours ahead of time but what else if anythign does a person have to do.
i called registy here and as soon as i get it across the border im good to go.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Maybe give one of the dealers a call down there. Some manufacturers wont sell new vechiles to Canadians, others have no problem. If you're buying a used truck. Not even an issue.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 04-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Default U.S. trucks

My Dad is telling me that there is 2 piece's of paper that have to be at the border 72 hrs before. But it is slipping his mind at the molment.

Here is a site that might have some info www.lemonaidcars.com (there are 2 links on the front page of this site bout cross border vehicles.

Here is some info from the custums canada site.

Hope this helps a bit.

Vehicles
Vehicles include any kind of pleasure vehicles such as passenger cars, pickup trucks, camper trucks, vans, Jeeps, chassis cabs, motorcycles, snowmobiles and motor homes, as long as you use them for noncommercial purposes. However, you should be aware that Transport Canada has many requirements that apply to vehicles.
Transport Canada defines a vehicle as any vehicle that is capable of being driven or drawn on roads, by any means other than muscular power exclusively, but not including a vehicle designed to run exclusively on rails. Trailers such as recreational, boat, camping, horse and stock trailers are considered vehicles as are wood chippers, generators or any other equipment mounted on rims and tires.
Import restrictions
Import restrictions apply to most used or second-hand vehicles that are not manufactured in the current year and are imported from a country other than the United States. For more information, please refer to the CBSA publication called Importing a Vehicle Into Canada, which is available on the CBSA's Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca, or visit Transport Canada's Web site at www.tc.gc.ca.
Transport Canada requirements
Transport Canada requirements apply to vehicles that are less than 15 years old and to buses built on or after January 1, 1971. If you are considering importing such a vehicle, be sure that it meets Transport Canada's import requirements or that it can be modified to meet these requirements after you import it. Not all vehicles from the United States can be imported into Canada.
If you have purchased or acquired a vehicle from the United States, you must contact Transport Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) before you import your vehicle to ensure that it is admissible for importation and can be modified to meet Canadian standards after you import it.
Registrar of Imported Vehicles
Telephone: 1-888-848-8240 (toll-free in Canada and the United States)
416-626-6812 (from all other countries)
Web site: www.riv.ca
In most instances, Canadian residents are not allowed to import vehicles into Canada that have been purchased or obtained in countries other than the United States. If you have acquired a vehicle from a country other than the United States, contact Transport Canada before importing it:
Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate
Transport Canada
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa ON K1A 0N5
Telephone: 1-800-333-0371 (toll-free from Canada and the United States)
613-998-8616 (local calls and from all other countries)
Fax: 613-998-4831
Web site: www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety
Finally, if your vehicle meets both CBSA and Transport Canada requirements, it will also be subject to provincial or territorial taxes. If you need more information, contact the motor vehicle authority in your province or territory.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM

yea i was on that website after i posted and if almost seems after you pay the duty and the excahnge and all the other stuff a guy aint saving that much is he by going down there.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 PM

One big problem with buying vehicles in the states, you cant get them warranteed here in Canada so if something breaks under warranty you have to take it too the states to get it fixed.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 PM

buy second party warranty , i think it runs something like $2500 for very similar coverage to what you get on the new vehicles.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Well there should not be any duty on a FORD, CHEV/GM or a DODGE cause they are made in the U.S. Right???? And you have to pay GST wether you buy a truck here or there, so that is really no-difference. But I think that there is a $250 ish paper processing fee, and I am thinking that there is another fee of some sort too!?!?!?!?!

Last fall I could of got a 2006 Dodge 1Ton, Diesel, Standard, 4x4, Fully loaded with 21,000 miles on it for $33,000. And at the dealer ship here a similar truck with twice the miles on it was $43,000.

Check out Dave Smith Motors in Kellog, Idaho (google it)
Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM

My friend bought a fully loaded 2007 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 quad cab from a dealership in Washington off of Ebay. Had 6900 miles on it and when he bought it last year with the exchange it cost him $36000 Canadian. Truck is only missing the heat in the leather seats and has the electric pedal adjustment on it, sprayed in box liner etc. No warranty on it here but he could have bought a thrid party warranty if he wanted it. When he got it back here he had to take it into Canadian Tire for the inspection and then run it to a Dodge dealership to get the daytime running lights turned on in the computer. 20 minute job. He said it was no problem at all crossing the border, just stopped on the Canadian side and paid the GST I believe and was gone. Very happy with the truck and saved a lot of money compared to buying here.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Default warranty info.

Seems the only big 3 manufacturer not honoring factory warranty is Chrysler/Dodge.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
buy second party warranty , i think it runs something like $2500 for very similar coverage to what you get on the new vehicles.
Try 3000-4000 for any that are half ways decent. And you'd better check with the guy doing the work first too, some warranty companies aren't exactly willing to pay out.

In short after market warranty is a RIP OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Seems the only big 3 manufacturer not honoring factory warranty is Chrysler/Dodge.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253

That would be correct from what I know of the situation.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM

http://www.importcartocanada.info/

Everything you need to know is on this website.
The best site I've found. Its a step by step site that has links to all the other sites like Warrentys, admissabliliy, taxes, duties.