Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Phantom

Default Finally!!!!!

well im happy today!! Got my job with CN rail and start tommorow morning. Took alot of calling and harassing the HR person then the big boss called today and told me I start tommorow. Finally something outside of the oilfield and something I can make a career out of. Pay good money, my buddy is 19 and a conductor and brings in $3600 every two weeks lol. Im starting off on track crew then can move to a conductor or trades. Its also union so shouldnt be to bad. nice to have a job where you dont have to worry about lay offs every fall. time to pay off debt and move on!!!

PS. NEW USERNAME IS -TROUT-
Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM

good luck with your new job!
I'm going the other way...Finish my contract here then maybe operating in the oilfield.

Last edited by silverado7; 04-01-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 AM

grats hope it works out for you
Old 04-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
well im happy today!! Got my job with CN rail and start tommorow morning. Took alot of calling and harassing the HR person then the big boss called today and told me I start tommorow. Finally something outside of the oilfield and something I can make a career out of. Pay good money, my buddy is 19 and a conductor and brings in $3600 every two weeks lol. Im starting off on track crew then can move to a conductor or trades. Its also union so shouldnt be to bad. nice to have a job where you dont have to worry about lay offs every fall. time to pay off debt and move on!!!

Congrats man Good luck on the new job , hope they dont over work ya still got time for the better things in life then work , fishing and hunting.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Good for you. Also good that you kept after them. years ago, I worked on the track for 11 years. That was in the years before they had machines to do most of the bull work. your rough and tough, so you'll be OK.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
-TROUT-

thanks guys, im really excited. pretty much looking forward to fixing my vehicle and getting new hunting/fishing gear. hunting and fishing is my life lol!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Congrats.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Good for you! Stick with it and get a trade of some sort and you'll be laughing.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Good for you and good luck in future.Are you still going to train in mma
Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 PM

maybe change your mma name to freight train.....haha good luck man, congrats. i know it has been a long some what frustrating process for you. hope it all works out.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM

CONGRATS!... Wish you all the best!...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Good luck Phantom...........er, Trout!

Tree
Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM

awesome man, youve been lookin hard for the right job.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
-TROUT-

lol thanks guys, oh im not giveing up mma lol im makeing my way up the list lol.....actually got news today the guy I was supposed to fight friday backed out and they cannot find a replacement...kinda choked but been a real good day. My lady got a real good job today at pheonix insurance and data entry and receptonist so were both realy high on life today. get all the debt paid off...which is alot at the moment...then its all good....
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
-TROUT-

more good news is I just got back from the hinton CN office and talked to the welders...there trying to get me on to work with them, says welders do very well there.....I have alot of expierance welding so hopefully get a trade there
Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

Holy man the news just gets better and better yall better go out and get a loto ticket and a timmy coffee might win the lotto and might win that boat , Cheers and once agian congrats.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 PM

Way to go Phantom, good to hear you are going to be a fellow Railroader.... I have been Welding for CP Rail for 27 years now and love it, and ya you can make some good coin in the RailRoad industry..... you will have a whole new meeaning for Welding a Frog..lol

Jim
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 AM

Another gandy dancer is born...congratulations! A great career for a fellow who is willing to learn, work really hard, and has leadership potential.

Most railgang track welding is done with thermite charges and cast molds - an amazing process when seen up close. Very hot.

Once saw a crew of three tough old sons o'bitches change out a rear drive axle on a CP mountain locomotive, in 3.5 hours start to finish, on a side track. They torched off the cow catcher, then lifted the rear of the locomotive a good 2.5' into the air with a big azz truck crane. The three pros were cussing at each other pretty well non-stop...they'd been friends and crew mates for well over 20 years. LOL.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 AM

Gandy dancer- I'd forgotten all about that. Done that lots.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

GOOd FOR YOU!
New job, new name, everything is good in da 'hood!
Now, sit back, do your job, look around you, and LEARN!!

Much more info can be gleamed by "putting a cork in one ear and a funnel in the other".

Take you time and find out where you want to go with the railroad, I'm sure in time you will be "on the right track"
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-03-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
-TROUT-

well its going good, different then the oilfield schedule lol, I work monday to friday 8-9 hours a day. apparantly CNcut the OT big time, but the guys said they do that every year untill they realize nothing gets done. I also cannot be stationed in Hinton permanantley, im staying there untill I get a few checks under me. So now the decision of where I shall move to, stay in alberta or go back to b.c. ....finding lots of good hunting spots, seen alot of deer and moose the past 2 days. Its a good job, learning all over again as I am unfamiliar with the railroad. But its really cool. found out something interesting, everytime there is a derailment my boss and my bosses boss receive suspensions. they both just got back from being suspended, my boss for a week and his boss for 2. also unpaid. even if its not there fault. crews dont agree with it, I think its kind of over doing it if it wasnt anyones fault...ohh well...
Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Think CN is now mostly owned by our neighbours to the south. I heard they liked to be called CN not Canadian National. Losing our heritage again. Sad. What dept. do you work in trout?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
-TROUT-

im kind of going with new guys everyday, welders one day, today I was with one of the foremen repairing broken track....wont really know till I figure out which town im going to
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Ya see that other grade along the route from Hinton west? Thats the old Canadian Northern, hard to see now. The hiway through Jasper is the old railroad grade. Now its on the other side of the river. In the day we had the Canadian Northern, and the Grand Trunk Pacfic, the Candain gov't bought them all and we have CN. Lots of history with the RR. Still trying to find the golden spike.