Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Question 08 Diesel, Chev, work okay as daily driver?

Do they work as daily drivers okay? Have they improved the usual things people don't like about them...like cold weather starting/function/heating issues etc.???

What do you have to do different or any tricks a guy needs to know before getting in the diesel game for daily driver? Thinking crew cab shorty 3/4 ton 4x4, what about mileage city/hwy?

Just looking for any and all comments as it would be my first personal diesel...run lots of cummins in the field and they are awesome but the quad cab is too small and the mega cab is too big so pretty sure i've ruled them out....but not totally. And i hate ford so thats just not an option.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 AM

I too am lookin for a 08 2500HD duramax crew shortbox...
it will be for the wife as a daily driver,, and to haul the RV wen we go our 2 week vacation ...
i dont know whether to buy it or lease it
i notice the glow plugs dont run a whole heck of a lot of time but they start pretty good from what i have seen. People have told me to put a high idle in them to warm them up in winter?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM

I have on 06 2500HD diesel crew that I drive as my daily driver. It's my first diesel and I havent had any real problems with it yet. You never have to sit and wait for the glow plugs to warm up like you used to. I do have a fast idle setting I can use thats activated using the steering wheel controls but I havent really used it before.
During the cold snap we had earlier this winter with the week of -40 days, my truck started up no problem every morning.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 04-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Default me too

i also am looking to buy a 08 duramax , when you guys find a good deal we soudl get togheter and buy them all at the same time, probly get a alot better deal doing that, im having a hard time justifying the cost right now, they will gimme 38000 for my 06 duramax rgith now with 85000$ on it
Old 04-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
I have on 06 2500HD diesel crew that I drive as my daily driver. It's my first diesel and I havent had any real problems with it yet. You never have to sit and wait for the glow plugs to warm up like you used to. I do have a fast idle setting I can use thats activated using the steering wheel controls but I havent really used it before.
During the cold snap we had earlier this winter with the week of -40 days, my truck started up no problem every morning.

plugged in?