Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Need Help from you Cowtown folk

I was wondering if I could get some info from those of you who live in the Calgary area....

My much smarter and better half has received an excellent opportunity to work in Calgary for the summer of 08'...

Since it is only a 4 month position, we thought for accomodations a good option (considering the price of real estate right now) would be to set up our holiday trailer in an RV Park.

She will be working in Downtown Calgary in the Gulf Square Building.

My question is, do any of you know of a decent RV park that has FULL services and offers monthly rates. Access from the park to downtown Calgary is also a big consideration....

Thanks in advance for anyone with any info.....
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM

I only know some south of the city. In Okotoks there is the Lions Campground. I know people who have stayed there while a house is being renovated etc. It's a gem actually. Pretty, not that big, Right beside the Sheep River, paved walkways nearby. Right in the middle of town, two minute walk to the Dairy Queen, video stores, shopping, etc. And the daily commuter bus to downtown Calgary stops less than 100 yards from the campground.

I don't know this campground, but it's in Cochrane, which isn't far from Calgary: http://www.bowriversedge.com/

These guys may be closed, but I know they had long-term camping:
http://www.eventective.com/Canada/Al...ampground.html

good luck.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

Mountainview RV Park is on the #1 about half way between Calgary and Chestermere. It's always pretty full, and there's some big units in there year round, so I assume it's full hook ups. No idea on price or availability, but it's a start.

Access to downtown is easy, 16th Ave (#1HWY) to Edmonton Trail or Center St, then into downtown. Traffic will be bad at times, but there's no route to downtown that doesn't have bad traffic.

Waxy
Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM

Bowriversedge has everything you're looking for and is run by a very nice couple.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 PM

There is a RV park on the #2 at Balzac
Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Can't help you with the RV park.....wondering though, how would you like to rent a house in Airdrie. 20 minutes gets you to the downtown core.
Also car pooling and commuter buses between Airdrie & Calgary.

If your interested PM me.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 PM

Is there still an RV Park on Blackfoot trail?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 PM

campground just west of Canada Olympic Park, fully serviced.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Banned

There is a RV park just south of Calgary, its right close to the deerfoot extension.
I think it is called Pine Coolie or something.
If you are interested, I will take a run out and get the #.
I also would look at TUCS offer. That sounds a bit more comfortable.

Jamie
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM

Campground fees of $36 bucks a day = $1080/month and you are driving 45 minutes to an hour each way to get downtown at rushhour from cochrane, airdrie or Okotoks (this is on a good day). Add the a $300-600/month in for gas of towing the trailer down and back and forth to work and I would be looking for a small apartment within walking distance to the ctrain. If she has to pay for parking downtown add some more cash in.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Mountainview RV Park is on the #1 about half way between Calgary and Chestermere. It's always pretty full, and there's some big units in there year round, so I assume it's full hook ups. No idea on price or availability, but it's a start.

Access to downtown is easy, 16th Ave (#1HWY) to Edmonton Trail or Center St, then into downtown. Traffic will be bad at times, but there's no route to downtown that doesn't have bad traffic.

Waxy
OR , she could park at the C TRAIN station at 36th st by Canadian tire just south of #1 ,16th ave ne , then its express downtown to within a block from Gulf square , return trip in reverse , jump in the car , head east back on #1 to the rv park , whole trip should take half hour to 45 min.
Parking at C train station is free.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 AM

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
Campground fees of $36 bucks a day = $1080/month and you are driving 45 minutes to an hour each way to get downtown at rushhour from cochrane, airdrie or Okotoks (this is on a good day). Add the a $300-600/month in for gas of towing the trailer down and back and forth to work and I would be looking for a small apartment within walking distance to the ctrain. If she has to pay for parking downtown add some more cash in.
The campgrounds are looking to be about $600/month....I would pull the trailer down once...and it would sit in that campground for 4 months, then pull it home...."She" drives a VW Jetta TDI so, fuel costs wouldn't be near that high....

But I agree 100% with your theory...we are going to drive down this weekend and check out bachelor suits Downtown...If we could find one within walking distance of Gulf Square or the C train....for under $1000 per month....that would probably make more sense than the campground....save on parking and gas....

The Trailer makes it nice, because everything is already in there....But not a big deal to move a few necessities into a small apartment either....

If anyone has any other info, or places to check out this weekend....I'm all ears....
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS!!!!!!

The campgrounds are looking to be about $600/month....I would pull the trailer down once...and it would sit in that campground for 4 months, then pull it home...."She" drives a VW Jetta TDI so, fuel costs wouldn't be near that high....

But I agree 100% with your theory...we are going to drive down this weekend and check out bachelor suits Downtown...If we could find one within walking distance of Gulf Square or the C train....for under $1000 per month....that would probably make more sense than the campground....save on parking and gas....

The Trailer makes it nice, because everything is already in there....But not a big deal to move a few necessities into a small apartment either....

If anyone has any other info, or places to check out this weekend....I'm all ears....
If memory serves, most apartments/suites downtown were over $1000/month 5-6 years ago. I don't have any leads for you on that one...

When you add in the cost of parking downtown ($20-30/day), a downtown apartment for the 4 months is probably still a good deal compared to renting an apartment somewhere else, unless you want to take the train or bus every day, and I'd rather pay a little more in rent and walk to work than do that.

Waxy
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM

There's also riverbend campground in Okotoks.I dont know there fees but they have monthly and full season rates.Its a very nice campground on the river just outside of Okotoks.20 min drive to the south LRT station.403-938-2017.There is Country Lane RV park just east of Okotoks on Hwy 2,403-995-4270

Last edited by hairycanary; 04-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:03 PM

doubt you will get a downtown apartment for 4 months. Things are tight. Rents are high, and they are gonna make you sign a lease. I have a spare bedroom in my house. Send picture of your wife. You aren't planning to come too, are you? LOL ;-)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
doubt you will get a downtown apartment for 4 months. Things are tight. Rents are high, and they are gonna make you sign a lease. I have a spare bedroom in my house. Send picture of your wife. You aren't planning to come too, are you? LOL ;-)
What part of the city you live in?

I will make sure she stays away from that area....

There are actually a few DT rentals available....fewer that are month to month....but they are there.....