Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
I bought one a few months back for a hoot from Canada Ammo. Only issues I have is the hold open fails when I remove the mag, and the safety is next to impossible to engage. Probably just need to tweak the action a bit.

For $450 bucks, can't complain I guess. It seems a lot of guys end up with a rifle that consists of the forged Norinco reciever with everything else after market USGI parts, but it's not cheap to do that.
Not cheap or easy. And the end results aren't all that attractive IMO. The USGI stocks have holes for the fire selector that need filling, holes that aren't used on the Norinco metal, etc.

Changing the interior components, etc. is one thing but I wouldn't want to carry around something that looks completely patchwork.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Not cheap or easy. And the end results aren't all that attractive IMO. The USGI stocks have holes for the fire selector that need filling, holes that aren't used on the Norinco metal, etc.

Changing the interior components, etc. is one thing but I wouldn't want to carry around something that looks completely patchwork.
yup, I've got a TRG 22, if I want to make small groups. My Norinco shorty, or for that matter an M1A in match configuration will never come close to the Sako for accuracy. Plenty of fun using the 305's battle sights as is though. I also take pleasure in owning any firearm the NDP would classify as, "BAD AND SCARY"!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Cleaned her up last night and this rifle is (very) surprisingly a good looker! Upon close inspection I think the front sight may be very slightly canted to the left. Which won't be an issue since I ordered the aluminum rail system from M14.ca. It looks pretty promising. I have rings and a viper PST scope set aside for this bad boy already. As soon as I get the rail the rear sights come off, the pic goes on. I'll probably even remove the front sight as well since I won't be using it. Save a few ounces.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 AM

I really enjoy my shorty. Brake cleaner really helps with initial cleaning and cheap lithium grease is all you need for lube other then a little light oil on the trigger. A new spring guide is a good first step to decent accuracy. I was getting touching holes at 50 yards with crappy Norinco ammo, which was quite the pleasant surprise. Apparently, I got lucky, but a couple other guys I know had all sorts of issues with the recent batch.

Down the road, I'd like to have a nice wood stock and possibly new rear sights. Don't think I'll scope it. Lots of fun for the price!

PS Let us know how it shoots!

Last edited by AbAngler; 12-14-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
I really enjoy my shorty. Brake cleaner really helps with initial cleaning and cheap lithium grease is all you need for lube other then a little light oil on the trigger. A new spring guide is a good first step to decent accuracy. I was getting touching holes at 50 yards with crappy Norinco ammo, which was quite the pleasant surprise. Apparently, I got lucky, but a couple other guys I know had all sorts of issues with the recent batch.

Down the road, I'd like to have a nice wood stock and possibly new rear sights. Don't think I'll scope it. Lots of fun for the price!

PS Let us know how it shoots!
I've heard the shorty's are having troubles lately. On CGN some fella had all kinds of issues with his new shorty.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM

I think that while there are can and have been some screw ups from the factory, lots of issues are due to not doing the initial dis-assembly, thorough cleaning and re-assembly procedures correctly. Theres alot to these rifles and it can be a bit intimidating when you have a bench full of parts. I could be wrong though.

I'm very happy with mine. The only problem I've had is a sticky safety and hard to adjust rear sight. Accuracy is way above what I was expecting for a Chinese made battle rifle, so I don't want to mess with it too much.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 PM

I called them yesterday looking for one for my son. You beat me to it. Congrats, they'll be more around sooner or later.I,ll have to keep my eyes open for one. Let us know how it shoots.