Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 PM

Default Driveway/road repair cost

I had a guy to stop by and give us an estimate for fixing cracks and applying sealcoat (oil based) on the shared road and driveway. I do not know too much about either. I am going to call another contractor tomorrow but I do have a couple of questions and I am hoping to get some feedback ?

1. What is the per square feet cost for applying sealcoat? So driveway 650X21 will cost me about 8K, of course, the cost will be split with another neighbour. The sealcoat itself works out about 0.35 per square feet.
2. The shared road has a lot of cracks, some are 1⁄4-inch wide. So I wondering if I leave as is, and do the repair next summer, what are chances the pavement will fall apart and will cost me more in the to repair.

Thank you
Old 09-06-2018, 04:49 PM

cant answer your questions...just make sure he's not scamming you...this type of thing makes its rounds every year. I am of course assuming the guy dropped in and that you didn't call an established ,reputable company to come give you a quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:51 PM

thank you for heads up - he seems legit but I used google earth to get exact measurements. His numbers were off for the shared road but correct the private section. He returned this evening and provided a revised quote.
He also did neighbours private section. I am also getting another company to give me a quote tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:05 PM

You could buy the equipment and the supplies and do it for half the cost. Call an asphalt supply company. The proper crack filler you buy in bricks and heat it high temps. Good for 3-4 yrs before needing redone and use less material second time around. 50 gallon barrel oil with silica sand goes for about $500 a barrel. Guessing 3-4 barrels depending one or two coats. You don’t want the crappy tire quality oil with no sand. Waste of money. weekend project
Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 PM

thank you Pixel, I will check it out. I want to delay the whole thing until next spring but the same it might cost me after this winter.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
You could buy the equipment and the supplies and do it for half the cost. Call an asphalt supply company. The proper crack filler you buy in bricks and heat it high temps. Good for 3-4 yrs before needing redone and use less material second time around. 50 gallon barrel oil with silica sand goes for about $500 a barrel. Guessing 3-4 barrels depending one or two coats. You don’t want the crappy tire quality oil with no sand. Waste of money. weekend project
Where are you able to buy the equipment and supplies?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 AM

1109 Pro-Seal HD from WR Meadows (see link below) is what you need. Easy to do by yourself. Need an industrial strength squeegee and some warm weather.

https://www.wrmeadows.com/en-ca/pro-...sphalt-sealer/

-Pyke
Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Yuck I remember my grandpa sewing his driveway every couple years. It sure gets messy! Guess I’m glad my driveway is gravel lol
Old 09-07-2018, 12:37 PM

You could get the driveway top coated with new asphalt layer of 1 to 2"
for very little more than he is asking to seal coat it. That fills all the cracks as well as giving you a nice smooth surface. If you go the seal coat route, definitely do it yourself. It will cost you about a grand each rather than almost $8000 he is quoting, and that is using top notch sealer with silica sand in it.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 PM

thank for the info all. I am glad I did not go for it. Neighbours driveway sure looks ugly. Most importantly it looks like the rubber was applied by hand, it is not flush, I am not sure how it is going to work out during snow cleaning. I told him that I was expecting something like what they do on the public road. It should be neat and flush. He did not understand( or pretended) what I meant. I even suggested him to drive 250 meters from our house and see it as the entire road was repaired by the professional crew over the summer. Almost identical to this process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGg865vdK8.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:53 PM

I would definitely recommend not doing the sealcoating. Does nothing to structurally benefit the driveway and basically is a way to make the driveway black (temporarily). If you have any cracking in your driveway, the first freeze/thaw cycle we have...those cracks will open right up again and you're back to square 1 if you do sealcoating. Like Dean2 mentioned, depending on the condition of the driveway I would suggest to do an asphalt overlay of 2". If the driveway is in really rough condition and lots of "alligating" (condensed cracking) or "spider-webbing", then you may require excavation and a re-do of the base material and asphalt for a proper finish. Obviously you would be dealing with a lot more than $8000 if you're doing a full re-do but it I would only suggest a 2" overlay or a full redo (or a mix of both - re-do in some areas and overlay the entire driveway). For typical driveways, I would suggest nothing less than 8" gravel, and 3" asphalt for repair areas. And if you are doing a full overlay, then I would suggest a 2" overlay.

From my limited involvement with sealcoating, I think you will be very disappointing with the end product and wont meet your standards.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbobbeck View Post
cant answer your questions...just make sure he's not scamming you...this type of thing makes its rounds every year. I am of course assuming the guy dropped in and that you didn't call an established ,reputable company to come give you a quote
Ah the good 'ol gypsy pavers. They come around saying that your neighbour is getting his done and he'll give you a deal because he can get the materials cheaper? Or how's about that they just finished a job and have some extra materials left? Did he happen to have an accent indicative of someone coming from the islands north of France? Deal with them every year. They don't like flying through Calgary anymore. Sent too many of them back.