Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Default Keep your head up northeast of Sundre

2 grizzly bears were seen north of Westward Ho,maybe on a day trip,maybe not, heading west this morning. F&W set up trap. Keep your head up if your out.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 PM

How far from the Ho? Any more details?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 PM

They were moving about 4 1/2 miles north of 27. Heard that a trap went off. Nothing else since.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Aunt and uncle live 4 1/2 miles north! Sis lives 3 miles north! Have to see if they know.
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Heard a 3rd hand story about a Grizz trying to break into a house near Bergen, the other day, but I haven't been able to confirm if it's true. Friend of ours ran into a cougar, just behind her house, Tuesday, in the area where H 27 meets the Coal Camp road.

Grizz
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM

I knew a fella that lived a few miles east of the James river store that used to see one there off and on over the years on his place. There was one used to hang on the south end of Stafne for years also. Saw one about 4 yrs ago a bit NE of Burntstick lk while out grouse hunting with the dogs. Seen sign of them in Bearberry Crk drainage and Smith crk drainage over the years also.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 AM

My boss has property in Bergan. Can confirm Grizz sighting. He was not at all impressed.
Tullfan
Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 PM

I also heard of a Grizz sighting out around the James River area ( North of Sundre)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM

F+W didn`t catch them yet. Sow and cub. She is supposed to be a tagged bear but lost her collar; supposedly moved from Priddis to Brazeau, but back in this country 6 days later. Lots of F/W trucks and activity this morning.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Heard a 3rd hand story about a Grizz trying to break into a house near Bergen, the other day, but I haven't been able to confirm if it's true. Friend of ours ran into a cougar, just behind her house, Tuesday, in the area where H 27 meets the Coal Camp road.

Grizz
Heard this rumor too, Grizz was after the horses, lady yelled at it and the bear put the lady in her house, tried to come in for tea. We watched the trap go by but never heard if they caught anything. That would be three weeks ago at least.

Met a trap going south of Cremona on 22 Friday afternoon but not sure if it had a package to deliver or not.

The brother in law heard of a Sow and two cubs getting trapped this weekend over at Eagle Hill, two spotted on Snake Hill in town and another guy almost hit one with his little jittney on the James River road not long ago.

Good thing there's no Grizzly bears around.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 AM

Default Grizzly spotted

Grizzly spotted just 5 min drive north of Sundre on the river
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM

I was in the area pretty much all weekend. Saw F and W with traps but didn't hear of anything being caught.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Grizzly spotted just 5 min drive north of Sundre on the river
I've got a 45 gal drum that held fish oil, till recently, sitting in the front yard. Cut the top off for a burning barrel. Will definitely be burning it out, tonight.
Grizz
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Wow this is crazy i was fishing for a few hours tonight by myself upstream on the james river just north of bearberry and south of burntstick lake. Glad i didn't run into them!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Default Grizzlies

Bumped into a griz on a kill at around km 32 of the north fork rd a couple weeks back on a bow hunt.......took about 5 or 10 years off my life..lol
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Buttonholed the Bear Smart Guys, in Sundre, today. No luck catching the elusive Yogis yet.

Grizz
Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 PM

They are so cheeky and tend to eat and run, no manners.

We had a Grizz push our cattle up against the fence at my Grandparents place years ago, middle of the night of course. The rukus woke Grampa up and he went out there to check it out. Grampa got right up to the fence, and the bear stood up right in front of him.

He got back to the house and waited for daybreak. That bear bit the vertabrae right out of a calf and picked it up and carried it in it's mouth 180yds and buried it in the trail behind my folks house. The CO's put a trap there but it never came back. Naturally the CO's tried to down play the situation and said it was just a black bear. We already saw the tracks in the mud when the calf was found so the bull was readily apparant.

A couple years later some good friends to the south east of us had a calf go missing and then a granery get shredded to bits. One of them almost got shredded themselves when they found the grizz on the calf in the willows.
They've snared one or two more there since that incident.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Just mentioned this to my mother in law. She mentioned about 2 years ago a hunter killed by a griz out by Bergen.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 PM

Talked to my mom last night about this, she lives in sundre.

She said she knew, and the bears had been on a hill where the kids run for gym class.

Sounds like it's been in the news there a fair bit.

Where that hunter was killed. I spent a whole day looking for a ring that fell off helping my brother get his 4x4 unstuck.

I heard the rumors about some bears, but didn't think about it. Went back to Calgary and a bit later heard about the hunter getting killed not long after I been there.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek2506 View Post
Talked to my mom last night about this, she lives in sundre.

She said she knew, and the bears had been on a hill where the kids run for gym class.

Sounds like it's been in the news there a fair bit.

Where that hunter was killed. I spent a whole day looking for a ring that fell off helping my brother get his 4x4 unstuck.

I heard the rumors about some bears, but didn't think about it. Went back to Calgary and a bit later heard about the hunter getting killed not long after I been there.
Used to hunt the next property north of where the bow hunter was killed. That bear was tracked all the way to the Burnt Timber gas plant area with hounds. She had two cubs and maybe felt threatened.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 AM

Offhand does anyone know why they are trying to catch these particular bears, did they do something? From what I know of the area Grizz roam around there somewhat regularly, seems that they are always finding them around Sundre. Grizz tend to have a fairly large range and I know they have them all the time just to the west of Sundre.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Offhand does anyone know why they are trying to catch these particular bears, did they do something? From what I know of the area Grizz roam around there somewhat regularly, seems that they are always finding them around Sundre. Grizz tend to have a fairly large range and I know they have them all the time just to the west of Sundre.
Finally someone said it! This is not unusual in the Sundre area. Have to be aware of your surroundings all the time out there. I get more worried about the big kitties in the bush.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I'm sure they have it figured out that the bears life expectancy will increase drastically if the bears are removed from folks back yards.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhunter View Post
Finally someone said it! This is not unusual in the Sundre area. Have to be aware of your surroundings all the time out there. I get more worried about the big kitties in the bush.
OK, fair enough, but those of us who live out here,, don't want to have to look over our shoulder constantly, anymore than the people who travel the seedy parts of Calgary. We have a right to a personal level of safety, in our neighborhood, just like the city slickers, be it Man or Beast and this ain't the Bush.

Grizz
Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 AM

I think there is a little more alarm when the G bears are on the east and south side of the Red Deer River. I grew up right where these bears have been seen. It is in fairly populated area. Its new having them spotted in that area, along with the multiple cougars in the area over the past 10 years. I am not saying these animals were not there in the past, we just never seen them. They are just following the elk and deer. 20 years ago i would have fell over if i seen a elk on our place, now its common with herds streching close to Olds.

I think the fella that was killed bowhunting just south of Sundre right off of 22 is in the backs of peoples mind.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
I think there is a little more alarm when the G bears are on the east and south side of the Red Deer River. I grew up right where these bears have been seen. It is in fairly populated area. Its new having them spotted in that area, along with the multiple cougars in the area over the past 10 years. I am not saying these animals were not there in the past, we just never seen them. They are just following the elk and deer. 20 years ago i would have fell over if i seen a elk on our place, now its common with herds streching close to Olds.

I think the fella that was killed bowhunting just south of Sundre right off of 22 is in the backs of peoples mind.
That's about a mile from where I'm sitting and you're right, it does play on your mind, when you go for a walk, like last night when Mrs. Adams wanted to take a tour around the neighbors oat field. I suggested the road instead.

Grizz
Old 09-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Any updates? The neighbors had heard about them, but hadn't seen anything. I was in my stand Friday night and most of Saturday. Lots of deer but no bears. Was a bit of freaky hike out Friday night...all alone...in the dark...unarmed...knowing they are out there.

Had a Flying Squirrel keep me company though. lol!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:25 PM

The fella killed a couple years ago was attacked about 2 miles from my place. These recent bears are being seen about 5 miles north of me. Other sitings have been coming in all summer from all around our place. The Little Red is only about one mile to my east and that seems to be the area they are using as a corridor. Oh well, I'll just keep an eye out and a rifle handy like one always should when you live in areas with critters that can eat you.

Marshall McLuhan