Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Question AO members - Need your help finding Winter Camping Locations with lots of snow

Howdy folks.... So I'm wanting to do some winter camping in our igloo's that we make.

Previously we've made them up at Buller winter camp up by spray lakes. We've found that the snow depths could be better in previous years, and would like to find another place we could go.

We've looked at backcountry stuff, and I'm ok with this, but would prefer vehicle access for a few reasons. Crown land suggestions would be great! Would be willing to drive about 3hrs or more from Calgary for the right place.

Here's some pics of my previous adventures.

Best case scenario... we have a few feet of snow we can use to make a base for the igloo. Then we tamp that down, and then build an igloo on top, having the entrance below the floor level of the igloo. This keeps the heat inside the igloo.

Something like this...

(photo credit - grand shelters http://www.grandshelters.com/pics/igloo-ap-1-s2.html )

I have a 4x4 so winter roads aren't an issue. Also like to be able to have a fire (outside the igloo of course) so firewood access would be good. Can bring some... but limited in my smallbox truck.

Inside the igloos, the temp usually hovers around +2 or +3 with a few candles. Nice and toasty! It is a great experiance!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

I was going to say Rock Lake but that is way more than 3 hours from Calgary..

Nice pics btw..
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I was going to say Rock Lake but that is way more than 3 hours from Calgary..
Where the heck is that?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Pic #3.......only a bunch of dudes would construct an igloo to resemble a breast.

Waiprous has very little snow right now. My son's schoolyard has tons, and the snow conditions are perfect. Although it lacks the scenery and solitude of the mountains, there is a pletheroa of lovely people to gaze upon.

Tree

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-07-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Where the heck is that?
About 1.5 hours north and then west of Hinton..It;s a lovely mountain area,I'm sure you would like it.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Pic #3.......only a bunch of dudes would construct an igloo to resemble a breast.
You noticed eh?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
You noticed eh?

Yep. Not what I was expecting, but engineering the more appropriate 'phallus' would have been a logisitical nightmare.

Tree
Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yep. Not what I was expecting, but engineering the more appropriate 'phallus' would have been a logisitical nightmare.

Tree
Treeguy scores a point, and will retain for future reference. Although I would have thought he'd be using the ole' phallus trick on BB416 (BB stands for Broke Back) or smoochiepapa.

Nonetheless... I AM looking for good places to go. Haven't been into BC much, thinking there has got to be some places near Fernie or Golden.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:01 AM

Anyone been near the Lower Kananaskis Group camp? That's an option I'm considering, and I've also heard that there is crown land on the BC side near Radium? Can't recall the name of the area or the road name....
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 PM

theres gap lake up by rocky on the Forestry trunk road.
sure there would be lots of snow up there.

Plus you can go fishing at the same time.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM

are you useing some kind of mold or frame to make the blocks? can you give us some more info on this... it looks like a lot of fun !!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlej View Post
are you useing some kind of mold or frame to make the blocks? can you give us some more info on this... it looks like a lot of fun !!
Yup, it's my icebox igloo tool. www.grandshelters.com

If you are familiar with concrete placing, just think of a slip form where you make each segment in an upward spiral ramp to eventually become an inverted parabola.

Tricky at first to figure it out, but it an awesome fun tool.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM

P.S. still looking for suggestions of where to find snow.

Thanks for the tips so far, I'm looking into them.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Default Mt. Tecumseh

The forested area immediately below the N. slopes of Mt. Tecumseh usually has deep snow.

This is NW of Coleman, 5km N. of Crowsnest Lake/Hwy. 3, right below the AB/BC continental divide.
Park at the Allison Creek cross country ski area and ski/shoe 5km or until you find a spot you like. Views of Crowsnest Mountain if you get high enough. Stay out of the avalanche paths.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Gotta keep abreast of the times.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Revelstoke.

3' every day is a normal year.

I have been there, gone sledding all day and when you head back to the cabin in the afternoon, there are no tracks from the morning.

Not kidding at all, but 90' (yes, feet!) in a year is normal.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Revelstoke.

3' every day is a normal year.

I have been there, gone sledding all day and when you head back to the cabin in the afternoon, there are no tracks from the morning.

Not kidding at all, but 90' (yes, feet!) in a year is normal.
I was thinking Revelstoke too... I have friends that sled out that way. That would be ideal.

Any idea where I could find information on crown land out near there?

With that much snow, I could model a creation based on igloo Ed's ample example!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 PM

I am not sure of your intentions; survival, isolation training, or just goofing around, but if you were to go to any of the cabins there, by sled or ski, then head into the treeline you would at least have a lifeline if something bad were to happen.

I like Frisby myself, but Boulder, Sale, Keystone, are all accessable and GORGEOUS areas.
Plus, if you have a sled, you are set. I have about 95,000,000 pictures and video's I could show you, but you need to see it for yourself.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Hey Alberta,
Have you ever tried a quinzee style snow shelter. Quite a bit of snow is required but instead of building on top of a platform it allows you to hollow out the center of your shelter and actually have raised sleeping areas inside. We used to make them quite a bit way back in the boy scouting days. Always quite warm and with 3 or 4 guys it doesn't take all that long to pile the snow. If you are unfamiliar with the quinzee style of winter shelter there are dozens of sites to check out on the web.
Breast of luck with your winter camp.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM

ABD, you and your radness might be just too much for the board to handle

I know the Revvy area very well, I spend a lot of time in BC. The Columbia valley does not usually get a lot of snow in the lower elevations, so you'll have to drive a way's back to find the goods.

Revvy is a great place, but access to many spots is by sled only, because of the snow depths. If you want to go that far, I suggest trying south of Revvy near Nelson. The snow is always deep, and the drive is gorgeous, next to the lake. There are plenty of places to hike into, like Wilson lake. You could also try Wap lake near Three Valley Gap. The FSR turns west from just after TVG, and heads to the top portion of Mabel lake. All the snow you will ever need to build your snow palace!

Take a look, I know you will not be dissapointed Don't forget to post your pics here!!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

OMG that looks cold as hell but cool as hell as well!!! Hope you at least pack some beer into that thing? Guess it would stay nice and cold!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBScott View Post
Hey Alberta,
Have you ever tried a quinzee style snow shelter. Quite a bit of snow is required but instead of building on top of a platform it allows you to hollow out the center of your shelter and actually have raised sleeping areas inside. We used to make them quite a bit way back in the boy scouting days. Always quite warm and with 3 or 4 guys it doesn't take all that long to pile the snow. If you are unfamiliar with the quinzee style of winter shelter there are dozens of sites to check out on the web.
Breast of luck with your winter camp.
Yup, built many quinzees over the years. I prefer this igloo for a few reasons.

1. Takes far less snow, and half the time. If there is enough snow for a base, all you do is tamp down the snow to make the platform and start building. With a quinzee, you have to make a huge pile of snow, and let it sit for a few hours so it will set up (or sinter) and then you excavate the cave. The base takes a while to build if there isn't much snow, but I prefer to have my entrance below the floor of the igloo so that it acts like a cold well and retains heat. (make sure you have a ventilation hole near the top though!)

2. You stay drier building it. You get a bit of snow in the face if the shoveller isn't very good, but you're not tunnelling and is more comfortable.

3. The igloo is made in such a way that it doesn't sag. It lasts for weeks and the inverted parabola shape evenly distributes the weight, so it doesn't sag over time. It's not a half circle, which will cave in quicker. Once the blocks have set, and you've heated the inside a bit, these things are rock hard, it has to do with the way you pack (or sinter) the snow into the form. It compresses the snow crystals together and they set up and freeze solid. You can stand on top of these things the next morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
ABD, you and your radness might be just too much for the board to handle

I know the Revvy area very well, I spend a lot of time in BC. The Columbia valley does not usually get a lot of snow in the lower elevations, so you'll have to drive a way's back to find the goods.

Revvy is a great place, but access to many spots is by sled only, because of the snow depths. If you want to go that far, I suggest trying south of Revvy near Nelson. The snow is always deep, and the drive is gorgeous, next to the lake. There are plenty of places to hike into, like Wilson lake. You could also try Wap lake near Three Valley Gap. The FSR turns west from just after TVG, and heads to the top portion of Mabel lake. All the snow you will ever need to build your snow palace!

Take a look, I know you will not be dissapointed Don't forget to post your pics here!!

I'm trying to find a place a little closer, but if I can't find the snow, the wife and I will take the drive. We have our little pup, and he's 10wks old now so we want to be able to 'car camp' in case the little guy needs to warm up. I'll be taking my ice shack to sit in and dry out clothes etc. We're planning on going for a few nights to make building the igloo worthwhile, so we'll be taking some 'luxury' items instead of the backpacking route.

I sweat a lot (less now that I've lost weight) so I'm not at the point yet where I feel I won't get hypothermia while building the thing in the backcountry, but I'm working towards a backcountry trip. (we do lots in the summer) Eventually, I want to do a trip to Rummell lake on snowshoes with a pulk carrying gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
OMG that looks cold as hell but cool as hell as well!!! Hope you at least pack some beer into that thing? Guess it would stay nice and cold!

I enjoy beer once in a while, but it sure keeps the whiiskey nice and cold!

Once you're in, all it takes is a few candles to keep things heated above freezing. If you put a tarp over the door, and a deep well at the entrance, the cold settles low and the sleeping platform is high enough it is pretty warm.

It helps to have sleeping pads to avoid direct contact (as a thermal break) with the snow you're laying on. Having an air hole at the top keeps the air fresh and circulates it regularly without having a breeze inside. If you're burning anything, it's important to have fresh air!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM

Here's a few other pics....

My buddie's puppy at the time...

More of the base and setup
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Has anyone been to the Monarch Campground in Yoho Park in BC, near Field?

It has winter camping open, just wondering what the snow depths are like there, and more info on the campground itself. Sounds like it has a kitchen shelter, wondering if there's a wood stove in there too?

The snow depths up at Buller appear to be about 2' which is a good start, but could always use more. We're looking at going towards the end of this month for 4 or 5 days.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Anyone driven between Lake Louise and the Saskatchewan River Crossing on the Icefields Parkway lately?

Have a lead on a place along there...
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Well, we're heading out either this Thursday afternoon, or bright and early Friday. Really looking forward to this trip.

Anyone been out skiing at Lake Louise in the last few days, or driven the icefields parkway in the last few days? Would appreciate any info on snow depths.

It appears it stayed cold enough up where we're goin over the last two weeks and didn't melt much, but I don't know first hand.

Thx
Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 PM

I know that the Lake O'Hara area of Yoho NP gets a lot of snow, and the Yoho valley gets very cold at night.

Thing is that you have to park just off the trans-canada past the CPR tracks and ski in some 11km to the lake. There is a commercial lodge at Lake O'Hara, and an Alpine Club of Cda. cabin 2km further down the ski trail.

Thinking you could use the ACC hut as a backup, but you'd need a park permit to get in the backcountry. Using the lake as a base, there are lots of great day trips to be had.

Don't know about Monarch campground.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Default winter camping brrrrr

just got back in from week-end trip out to may lake [north of maire by cold lake] .... built a leentoo ....not enought bows brrrrr. not enought wood for the night brrrrr.. not much snow brrrr... not enough sleep ....

wife also adds not enought brains [she was not there ] but i did hve tons of fun... seen lots .... some one even out fishing on sunday ....

derek
Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Glad you had a good time Derek!

Winter camping isn't like club med that's for sure. Nonetheless, I'm pumped to go with the puppy and the wife.

As they say, when you think you have enough wood in winter for the night, triple it, and then you're good.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Goose, maybe see if you can't get into Takakkaw Falls in Yoho. Loads of snow in there usually (if you can make it up the hill), and would be amazingly scenic as well as being close to the road. Pretty neat place. Not sure if there is winter road closures though.....

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://e...xAFx6qHbADHAsg

Tree