Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM

Default Salmon Fishing - River's Inlet - 2014

Hello all!

I'm trying to plan a salmon fishing trip for next Summer. Oak Bay recently announced they are closing down the Charlotte Princess at Langara Island and the other resorts up there are rather pricey ($4500+ each). I've been looking at some options in River's Inlet. I've never been there before. Anyone been out? Is the fishing good (both in terms of numbers and size)? What's the best month to go? The other times we fished the Charlottes we were a lot further north so I'm wondering if there is a big difference.

Any feedback would be helpful!

Thanks!!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

Obviously I am biased, but I put my $$$ on Prince Rupert. Easy to get to, rather affordable in comparison to the QCI and has some of the best fishing you will see in North America. Take a hard look at Prince Rupert. And while your at it, take a look at coming with us.
I can assure you that the trip will be far below what you were quoted for the QCI Overall, the fishing in the north country is beyond compare to what happens down south.

Thanks
Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 11-20-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM
AO Sponsor

PM sent. Rivers is not the best fishing, although they get monsters. Beauty is we get those same monsters in last week of July/first week of Aug plus all the other BC inlet and US fish.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 11-20-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Obviously I am biased, but I put my $$$ on Prince Rupert. Easy to get to, rather affordable in comparison to the QCI and has some of the best fishing you will see in North America. Take a hard look at Prince Rupert. And while your at it, take a look at coming with us.
I can assure you that the trip will be far below what you were quoted for the QCI Overall, the fishing in the north country is beyond compare to what happens down south.

Thanks
Jamie
Gotta agree, I was there in May and the fishing with Jamie and Shay was first class. Book with Jamie, you wont be disappointed.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM

I have fished Rivers Inlet with Oak Bay twice, and took salmon weighing 48 and 32lbs one year, and 59 and 47 lbs the next year, but that was many years ago.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 PM

I have fished the Charlotte's twice, and Porty Hardy with Serengetti. After going with the Dave's at Serengetti I wouldn't go anywhere else. The fishing is fantastic for bottom fish, halibut and salmon - we came back with tons of fish, and this was on the shoulder season! Highlights were 38 lb chinooks and a 98 lb halibut - and more huge snapper and ling then you can imagine. I have never met two guides with more knowledge and as passionate as Dave and Dave. Dave Jr does a ton of exploring and searching in the off season, while his dad has been at it for many years - top notch these two.
I know others who have gone there and the only complaint I heard was they got their limits too fast - then fish for fun.....not much to complain about.
Anyway I'm saving and planning for a return trip, this time with my wife as the accomodations, food and hottubs are wonderful. Being from Calgary, its just a quick and cheap flight to the island then a 3hour drive from Comox - pretty much there in 5 hours.
I looked at Rupert, - fishing may be great but that drive would kill me, especially on the way back when exhausted. Send me a pm if ya have any questions.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Thanks
Jamie

You may be...but I'm not. Fishing out of Rupert is outstanding, and you don't have to drive, they have an airport....and via rail is a great way to see the sights if your into that too.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
You may be...but I'm not. Fishing out of Rupert is outstanding, and you don't have to drive, they have an airport....and via rail is a great way to see the sights if your into that too.
Was also speaking of cost of flying from Cowtown. Half the price and time to get to the Island vs to Rupert.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 PM

I used to go to River's the second week of August every year.

Fishing could be slow but we came back every year with at least one monster. 50 pounds on the nose was the largest landed but we did have a couple up close to the boat that would have been much larger.

One year, I think it was 2000, we saw three different springs weighed in at Dawson's landing that all went just over 70 pounds.

Definitely not the action that you can get other areas, but for big fish it can be hard to beat.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Was also speaking of cost of flying from Cowtown. Half the price and time to get to the Island vs to Rupert.
Pope, just a heads up, you can get to Rupert in less time and at the same price you are currently paying. As well, you don't have a car rental + a 3 hour drive and leaving your rental car for 3-4 days

Calgary direct to Terrace and I pick you up.
Or fly direct in Rupert if you wish.

Lots of ways to keep the cost down.

Give us a shot some time. I promise you wont be disappointed.

Jamie
Old 11-22-2013, 02:05 AM

Worked for OBMG at Rivers inlet (and also at QCI)... If your going to book for the Inlet i would book at the 'mouth' or as close to the coast as u can.... as you will probably be catching the majority of your fish near mouth of inlet / out in open water.... with that being said I also WATCHED a 75yr old man (on trip for his birthday with family) catch a 72LB chinook litterally 100m from the OBMG dock which is or was the furthest resort inland (only things closer was indian reserve / fishing nets)...... BUTTT I also watched 50+ fisherman a week sometimes only catch 15 salmon TOTAL BETWEEN THE WHOLE WEEK.. and ofcourse I've seen them all limit out on everything aswell.... Butttt usually making their hali trips out of the inlet to fish the flat 'hali' turf....

As for the whole rental car and 3hr drive / 4day not driving stuff...

Both seasons I was with OBMG I flew from Edmonton to Vancouver to Port Hardy and then either to King salmon or to the ships (QCI).... and in reverse on the way home...

I would doubt that OBMG is the only people using the air strip / airport at port hardy.... but maybe it is their own private thing (i know they have their own planes / floatplanes for getting people up to the fish) and they dont share?? LOL but i still think the port hardy airport / strip is used by more than just OBMG

Fishing QCI's was amazing Kinda makes me sad that they are shutting down the ships do you know are both ships shutdown now??

side note - we all know its fishing not catching, but i seriously would like to punch a few obmg sales people right in the nose repeatidly (and i havent worked there for like 5-6 yeears LOL)

When i worked there apparently the sales people didnt know it was fishing and not catching for rivers inlet - and they sold it as catching... guaranteeing people MULTIPLE 30-50lb fish in their 3-4 day adventures lol that msot definately does NOT make for happy customers lol

Last edited by EDMfishing; 11-22-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

Edmfishing
All of OBMG northern resorts are gone now.
King Salmon, closed and for sale
Salmon Seeker closed
Charlotte princess closed
MV Marabelle closed

To bad, as I always enjoyed myself with that company. Only one not so great trip over 15 years.
Once Mr Wright passed on, things started shutting down.

Jamie
Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Depending on what draws you to Rivers if it is the style of fishing or just big fish, calm waters IDK but IMO seas and fishing style in Port Hardy would be closer to Rivers Inlet
Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 AM

When it comes to paying out $ to fish research who you are going with. There are guides that suck but have a good area and rely on being able to get you into OK numbers of fish with minimal knowledge. Some also have poor attitudes and you don't want to be stuck on a boat with a guy you can't get along with.

If you choose the right guide you could have a great trip in QCI, Port Hardy, Rivers, north west coast Vancouver Island, or Prince Rupert. All these areas can be great fishing. Contact guides in the areas you are interested in and ask them the best time for fishing that area as it will vary a little. Because if you want to experience great fishing you are best off to go when the fishing is at its peak. BEWARE of guys that promise the moon.

I did a charter out of Port Hardy in Sept and the guy did a great job. We targeted bottom fish for the most part but that was our choice. We did some coho fishing and it was fast pace action. Limited out on the fish we targeted every day and released many more. But this guide did what it took to put us on fish, had great knowledge, and was not afraid of burning fuel to get the job done.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM

I have been fishing Rivers inlet for 11yrs now and have a blast every year!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words Tim. Looking forward to having you back up shortly We'll best that hali for sure.

EDM, you are right, you can fly right into Port Hardy as well, and still less expensive than flying to many other places on the coast, QCI and Rupert included. Many guests do that, and some do the Comox, drive up as they like the scenic 2 3/4hr drive.

Mikey, get your butt up to Hardy this season eh...few brews on me. And check out our Hooked on Utah ep and let me know what you think as you always give it pretty straight.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Gotta agree, I was there in May and the fishing with Jamie and Shay was first class. Book with Jamie, you wont be disappointed.
x2

This is a first class operation. Next year will be the third year in a row for us.

Our boat caught and released over 100 salmon in 4 days this past summer. On the second day I released 23 salmon myself.

Anyone can PM me if they want more info.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM

I knew king salmon had closed and was for sale, it has been close for a longggggg time... pretty sure this was partially due to unsatisfied customers from poor sales approaches...

I walked a river beside the resort and caught brook trout? or browns? (im not a trout guy and this was a long time ago so not really certain) personally i thought they looked more like golden trout at the time but who knows... anyways.. literally caught these things hand over fist as fast as you could toss your line into the small stream

But back to the point - Someone else already said it best... Where you would prefer to go(areawise) / what fishing style you prefer should be able to get you narrowed down to a smaller oceeeeaaaannnn of lodges, and then this here wonderful in-tar-ne-t should be able to find you enough reviews to narrow it down even further (maybe between 1 or 2) and then eee-neee-miiii-neee-moooo your way out of the decision or make an informed deision.....

personally Between QCI and Rivers Inlet I would probably return to Rivers inlet, not for the Quantity ofcourse, but for the simple fact I've seen way more 'BIG' Salmon come out of the inlet... not to say they arent everywhere but still just IMO like i said... Id rather have that 50-70lber idea burned into my forehead, than 100 smaller guys <20lbs lol.....

All this salmon talk gunna make me hafta sneak away from the wife and baby for a week next year! lol
Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM
AO Sponsor

EDM, you are right that a lot of places in Rivers have gone belly up. Good Hope Cannery just quit operations as well, and it was one of the more well known resorts up there.

We get the Rivers fish that come down and feed before going into the inlet as well, as hatchery heads have shown (the day I guided to the 64lb Chinook we caught a 37lb as well and it was a hatchery from way up in Bella Bella). Plus also the monster Chinook that go into Wyclees Lagoon in Smith Inlet hit us. DFO pulled two carcasses estimated over 100lbs out of there in the early 2000's. Not a large quantity run though, but monsterous.

Usually a couple over 60-70lbs come out of Rivers every year, but a lot of rods in water for those couple. I know a lodge up there posts all their tyees for the year, and from their 10 boats compared to our 3, we still caught 2.2x the amount of Tyees as they did. Key thing i think is amount of bait in each area, keeps fish in one area for days at a time so they don't just swim through.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

It's all about balance, what you want to accomplish and what type of experience you want.
Water conditions can have a huge effect on your trip. If you have the tendency or possibility of getting sick, fishing the west side of the QCI is probably a bad idea.

Make sure you ask if you are fishing open water or tight to Islands. Open water can bring in the big rollers.

Good luck with your choices.

Jamie