Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Default House Siding

I have stucco on my house now but the installers did not do a good enough job of putting in a waterproof material under the stucco and never put on a drip edge. The contractor has disappeared. The outer 2x 10 of the ladder system on top of the concrete foundation wall on one wall only is now completley rotten and I am replacing it with treated 2x 10 boards. Has anyone tried the hardi cement board siding and have had any issues with them? If you goggle hardi board siding you find many good and many bad reports. Has anyone found a siding that works well with Alberta weather?

thanks for any info. Art
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 AM

I had worked with Hardi Board products for 12 years and have been to several of there production facility's. I also was instucted to do some testing of there material, freeze thaw, water absorbtion, etc. It's a good product but it's only as good as the installer as you know with your stucco. I know of several jobs that were installed in the mid 80's that are perfect today. But I have seen some installs that are a mess and the home owners are stuck with moisture behind the siding that causes a long list of issues.

Dodger.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 AM

I have vynl siding now and happy with it but have heard that the Hardi stuff is about the best right now. And yes like anything the product is only as good as the installer. If you reside, put on a layer of insulation on first, I noticed a differance in both the summer and winter because of it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 AM

Default Acrylic

Art ...How old is the stucco and has it been painted ....Its not unusual for the nailer to rot ...oprobably only spruce ...As the Dodger said Hardie plank and moisture have their issues ...which is funny because they have been making cement siding since the 1930's and still dont have it right ...

Where are you located , cause if your paper is good ...restuccoing with acrylic is a no brainer ....you can PM me for more info...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 AM

Best part about the cement based sidings is they are non combustable. I have a piece, I do all my brazing on. Not cheap, but nothing wrong, if applied properly. Definitely a lot better than cheap vinyl. I suspect some of the moisture issues are with the stuff that looks like the cement board, but is actually processed OSB.
Grizz
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 AM

As Dodger said, Hardi is a great product, but is only as good as the guy that installs it, and I've seen some baaaaad Hardi jobs that had to be entirely redone.

Canexcel is a similar product to Hardi - it's another composite type of siding, but I'm not really familiar with it and have never installed it myself.

Vinyl is the least expensive and most common option that people go with, and if the installer is good, it can turn out looking very good as well.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM

just a quick note:

Hardi Board is VERY similar in price per SQFT as a high-end vinyl siding
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
As Dodger said, Hardi is a great product, but is only as good as the guy that installs it, and I've seen some baaaaad Hardi jobs that had to be entirely redone.

Canexcel is a similar product to Hardi - it's another composite type of siding, but I'm not really familiar with it and have never installed it myself.

Vinyl is the least expensive and most common option that people go with, and if the installer is good, it can turn out looking very good as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Canexcell is one of those processed OSB products. None of the Hardi-board advantages. Vinyl may look good initially, but it's gonna fade and get brittle with age. And if you live in the city, God forbid your neighbors house catches fire, chances are you'll be next. At least, it'll be looking really droopy.

Grizz
Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Doesn't melt or burn either, when the neighbors house catches fire. .

Grizz
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 PM

Just don't apply vinyl in large visible expanses. Whatever your covering, ensure a complete rain screen.