Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Default Jalapeno Cheese Smokies

Just pulled the third round of Venison Jalapeno Cheese Smokies out of the smoker. Turned out awesome !!! I used a nice blend of Hickory and Mesquite....mmm mmm Good !!!!

IMG_2100.JPG
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Nice!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Looks good!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM

When is the BBQ I'll bring the beer!

Could you please post up some more info. Did you use a pre made spice blend? What kind of cheese, how big did you cut it? What about the jals, fresh or pickled.

Nice job. They look awesome
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Those look awesome !!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
When is the BBQ I'll bring the beer!

Could you please post up some more info. Did you use a pre made spice blend? What kind of cheese, how big did you cut it? What about the jals, fresh or pickled.

Nice job. They look awesome

No, its not a pre-made blend of spices. My wife and I created a recipe from a combination of those found on the internet. We used high-temp ceddar in 1/4 " cubes. We had a tough time finding it here, and ended up ordering it from Kansas. http://www.waltonsinc.com/c-50-high-...re-cheese.aspx We used whole fresh Jalapenos (minus the stem) that we ran through the grinder after grinding up the venison. After stuffing the natural hog casings I hung the links in the cool garage overnight (approx24 hrs) and then smoked them for about hour in the Bradley, alternating between the Hickory and Mesquite pucks.....

Last edited by elnino54; 05-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino54 View Post
No, its not a pre-made blend of spices. My wife and I created a recipe from a combination of those found on the internet. We used high-temp ceddar in 1/4 " cubes. We had a tough time finding it here, and ended up ordering it from Kansas. http://www.waltonsinc.com/c-50-high-...re-cheese.aspx We used whole fresh Jalapenos (minus the stem) that we ran through the grinder after grinding up the venison. After stuffing the natural hog casings I hung the links in the cool garage overnight (approx24 hrs) and then smoked them for about hour in the Bradley, alternating between the Hickory and Mesquite pucks.....
How long did it take to get the cheese through the mail? Was it USPS or a courier of some sort. Must have still been fairly fresh if you used it!!! never thought of ordering cheese through the interweb before!
thanks for the website!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Thank-you for the info. Is there any chance that you would share your spice blend? They look awesome and i will be trying a batch this spring when I get going on some sausage.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 PM

Can you post the recipe, please? LEM makes some great products and has a wonderful website for those interested. Thanks. BEL
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Don't recall how long it took to get the cheese, but wouldn't hesitate to do it again. You need to make it worth while by ordering enough otherwise you will get killed by shipping fees......here's the recipe guys......give it a try. Just be careful not to overdo them in smoker. I can offer up some advice for dealing with the hog casings if you've never used them before. They can be time consuming but worth it.....Don't forget to test for taste a small amout in a fry pan just after mixing and before stuffing.

Texas Jalapeno and Cheddar Smokies.pdf
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=elnino54;1425338] I can offer up some advice for dealing with the hog casings if you've never used them before. They can be time consuming but worth it.....Don't forget to test for taste a small amout in a fry pan just after mixing and before stuffing.

QUOTE]

Yeah I used hog casings for the first time this year and absolutly loved them!!! They were a little more difficult the work with but definatly a better final product!!

Do you hang your smokies elnino? or lay them on the racks? I have been lying them down but find it a hassel having to always roll them to get a good consistant colour.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=simmered;1425349]
Quote:
I can offer up some advice for dealing with the hog casings if you've never used them before. They can be time consuming but worth it.....Don't forget to test for taste a small amout in a fry pan just after mixing and before stuffing.

QUOTE]

Yeah I used hog casings for the first time this year and absolutly loved them!!! They were a little more difficult the work with but definatly a better final product!!

Do you hang your smokies elnino? or lay them on the racks? I have been lying them down but find it a hassel having to always roll them to get a good consistant colour.
I lay them on the racks, too much of a pita to try hanging them in the 4-rack Bradley. I think next time I'll try cutting them into links of 4 to make it more manageable to turn them in the smoker.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=elnino54;1425363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post

I lay them on the racks, too much of a pita to try hanging them in the 4-rack Bradley. I think next time I'll try cutting them into links of 4 to make it more manageable to turn them in the smoker.
Yeah thats what I use as well. I've been trying to come up with ways to hang smokies in there! wasn't having much luck. HAHAHA

The last batch I did we stuffed them into links of about 6 just for quickness of the stuffing process and then once they have been cooled and rested for 24hours we cut them into singles and place them on the rack.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You need to make it worth while by ordering enough otherwise you will get killed by shipping feesAttachment 51489
If you dont mind me asking, how many pounds did you buy and how much was the total shipping charges? Was there any duty fees?
I assume there is no issue of not having the cheese refrigerated while it is shipped?
I have found high temp cheese before from other companies in the states but no one would ship to canada.

Thanks
RMH
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Smile

Quote:
Just pulled the third round of Venison Jalapeno Cheese Smokies out of the smoker. Turned out awesome !!! I used a nice blend of Hickory and Mesquite....mmm mmm Good !!!!

Attachment 51476
So when do we go fishing. Man those would make a fantastic snack while out on the water.

Rob
Old 05-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Default Lacto

El, what is lacto, some sort of milk product or fermentation product? By the way, if you would like a great italian or bratwurst sausage recipe, let me know. thanks for this recipe. BEL
Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 PM

I had ordered 5 lbs worth and I think in cost me about $70 to the door. It was over a year ago when I ordered it, had 3 lbs left and needed to use it. The cheese is expensive, but I really wanted to try it, and cheese smokies are expensive anyway....

Rob, let me know if you wanna go fishing anytime. I've got a clacka and have floated the bow for a very long time....

BEL.....Lacto is a milk binder.....Sometimes it's been out of stock. I'd like to see those recipes, in particular the Italian. We have one now for fresh, but always looking to impove......
Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 PM

WOW!!

The smokies look great!!

I'm looking forward to trying your formula!!

Do you find that the high temp cheese improves your finished product over garden variety cheese??
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Attachment 51476
Those look delicious. I'm jealous.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
WOW!!

The smokies look great!!

I'm looking forward to trying your formula!!

Do you find that the high temp cheese improves your finished product over garden variety cheese??
Tango,

This was only the second batch we've ever done of these, and have never tried regular cheese, but heard that it melts too easy.......Let me know how yours turn out if you decide to give the formula a try !!!

Cheers
Craig
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 PM

Smile

[QUOTE=elnino54;1425778]
Rob, let me know if you wanna go fishing anytime. I've got a clacka and have floated the bow for a very long time....

QUOTE]

I have floated the Bow many times over the years and certainly have some good rowing skills. Have rowed many different kinds of boats down the river. So I wouldn't be just an idle line chucker on the boat. More than willing to row my fair share. Just say the word and I'm there.

Rob
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM

I bought Bradley sausage hangers from our local co-op, they work great!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 PM

Want to try those in my bradly too!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 PM

How long and what temp did you cook these at?