Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Talking The BEST SPCA video EVER!-READ POST #13!!

Macleod just emailed me this link.
It is, by far, the coolest idea I have seen for promoting pet adoption.
You WILL laugh, you WILL get teary and you WILL want to share!

http://blog.petflow.com/if-this-does...now-what-will/

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM

I just read this article posted by the Wake County SPCA (in Raleigh, N.C.) who made this video. Very interesting; I guess ABBA are not animal lovers! Or at least their lawyers aren't!

http://www.spcawake.org/site/PageSer...me=LipDubVideo

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 PM

Nice building for a cash strapped non profit.

Good video, couldn't watch the whole thing however. ABBA is my nails on the chalkboard.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Banned

great video...funny, because I just read an article regarding the reason for ABBA's over the top costumes...tax write off.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1226829948027

Björn Ulvaeus says that the band’s style came about in part because of Swedish tax laws that allowed the cost of costumes to be tax deductible but only if they were so outrageous that they couldn’t be worn on the street.

Lawyers.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Thanks for sharing Molly.
Dodger.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM

I had a hard time watching that... Dont know why.
Cool video though, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 PM

OK. Let make an infectious thread. Maybe it'll connect a few great pets with new homes !

This one got me :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rskFaiDIEwA

- and now I have My friend of 3 years and forever:

Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I had a hard time watching that... Dont know why.
Cool video though, thanks for sharing.
Me too! I cried the whole time...but laughed too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
OK. Let make an infectious thread. Maybe it'll connect a few great pets with new homes !

This one got me :

Talking kitties? Awesome!
Do you really make your kitty sleep on a plastic bag??

Here is a case of a dog who waited 299 days before she was adopted at the CHS. I was sure glad to read about that!

https://www.calgaryhumane.ca/tovasstory

Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 AM

I don't get it, but she thinks all bags belong to her. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Me too! I cried the whole time...but laughed too!

Talking kitties? Awesome!
Do you really make your kitty sleep on a plastic bag??

Here is a case of a dog who waited 299 days before she was adopted at the CHS. I was sure glad to read about that!

https://www.calgaryhumane.ca/tovasstory
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I just read this article posted by the Wake County SPCA (in Raleigh, N.C.) who made this video. Very interesting; I guess ABBA are not animal lovers! Or at least their lawyers aren't!

http://www.spcawake.org/site/PageSer...me=LipDubVideo
Who'da thought that neat little vid had such a history! Hindsight would indicate the production company that helped them put it together should have known to get permission for the soundtrack, but it's all 'water under the bridge' now.

Whatever the case ... that's the best promotional video (post #1) I've ever seen done, by an animal shelter!

Mac
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up

Molly!

You are gonna make all the tough guys look not so tough

Great video, cute and well done.

Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post

This one got me :

Is your cat's name Cosmo? We looked at adopting a cat approximately three years ago exactly like your cat and his name was Cosmo.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Exclamation Important thread post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Molly!

You are gonna make all the tough guys look not so tough

Great video, cute and well done.

Thanks for sharing!
That is my mission on this forum!!

Actually, I wonder if a dedicated thread could be started to promote/spotlight various critters needing new homes, kinda like the recipe thread! Coho suggested starting "an infectious thread" so I think he may mean something like this....For example, I could feature an adoptable from the High Country SPCA c/w contact info and a photo. Macleod could post a critter from the CHS. If anyone wants to pursue it, they can contact the shelter. If anyone actually adopts any critter as a result of the thread, they would be allowed to post this (hopefully with a photo).
Sometimes we AOers can do a lot of good; why not something like this? So many of us are pet people!
Whaddaya think??

Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Actually, I wonder if a dedicated thread could be started to promote/spotlight various critters needing new homes, kinda like the recipe thread! Coho suggested starting "an infectious thread" so I think he may mean something like this....For example, I could feature an adoptable from the High Country SPCA c/w contact info and a photo. Macleod could post a critter from the CHS. If anyone wants to pursue it, they can contact the shelter. If anyone actually adopts any critter as a result of the thread, they would be allowed to post this (hopefully with a photo).
Sometimes we AOers can do a lot of good; why not something like this? So many of us are pet people!
Whaddaya think??
I think it's a brilliant idea!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM

I had my Cat for 12 years and moved with me through my work in Southern Alberta and had to put him down 5 years ago....The hardest thing I had to do...You have a special bond with an animal that touches you

Went fishing last night and one buddy brought his young pup...Had lots of fun with him...LOL.....even though I will never be a dog owner
Old 02-20-2014, 02:10 PM

The GSD in my profile pic was the first SPCA rescue dog I took in. Have since taken in animals from vet clinics, random people in town, SCARS up at Athabasca... It is always people like the ones in the vid that get things done. You don't need Sarah McLachlan to sniffle and lecture a camera on TV.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:35 PM

I know a bit about adopting animals. We adopted a retired racing Greyhound that is now gone. We adopted a retired Italian Greyhound show dog that is still with us. We adopted a cat that is not with us anymore, & we rescued another cat from a golf course that was dumped there but the course got the cat fixed for us & he is doing fine. We adopted (more like rescued) a Pomeranian mix dog that is still with us. We just had to keep a dog from going to the SPCA because of the dogs age it would of been put to sleep.... it past away back in 1997. Then we had another dog after the 1997 dog pasted away that died one year after the Greyhound.

So we adopted a far amount of animals.

Then there is the animal shelter in Winnipeg that has an over crowding of cats & other animals.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Whaddaya think??
Love the idea !!

All of my animals (2 dogs & 4 cats) are rescue specials.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 AM

No, her name started with an M, I think it was Moogles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
Is your cat's name Cosmo? We looked at adopting a cat approximately three years ago exactly like your cat and his name was Cosmo.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Thumbs up Way to go molly!!!!!!

Great idea Molly!!!! I would read it and support too . I rescue animals too...I am not an Agency or anything, just an avid animal lover. I am really good with cats who have behavior problems. So far I have helped 8 cats from death, they had really bad attitudes, socialize or wouldn't eat hard food.
This was a sad year as my friend who helps, he does the dogs, between us, we lost two dogs due to old age, a rabbit, a cat and a two month old kitten. ALL these animals were rescues.

Molly your idea is the best!!!! Your idea will change things for the benefit of all involved and everybody could always use positivity!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by owllight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Love the idea !!

All of my animals (2 dogs & 4 cats) are rescue specials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonlady View Post
I would read it and support too .

Your idea will change things for the benefit of all involved and everybody could always use positivity!!!
OK! Got 3 votes!! 4 if you include my own self!
A few sound like they would agree but did not actually say so, so I can't count them yet.
I sent in a PM to one of the Mods for his opinion. Maybe we have to try a dedicated thread with definite rules, and may get awarded sticky status later on.
I already have a little girl to post about ....poor little thing was found almost frozen to death. She is now fostered through the High Country SPCA. I think our Beaner would have looked just like her when she was a pup!
Now, don't you just want to take her home right now?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by owllight View Post
That ^^^ !

Our last two pets were adopted and both worked out just fine. Now we wouldn't do it any other way. The old cat was a stray, but shes gone now (RIP). We still have our dog that came from a shelter.

I hope the mods give this idea a try.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:

. . . Actually, I wonder if a dedicated thread could be started to promote/spotlight various critters needing new homes, kinda like the recipe thread! Coho suggested starting "an infectious thread" so I think he may mean something like this....For example, I could feature an adoptable from the High Country SPCA c/w contact info and a photo. Macleod could post a critter from the CHS. If anyone wants to pursue it, they can contact the shelter. If anyone actually adopts any critter as a result of the thread, they would be allowed to post this (hopefully with a photo).
Whaddaya think??
That's a Great Idea!

I sure hope the AO Admin gives it consideration ... it's well worth a serious thought.

A Sticky like that would be a good fit for the General Forum, and might even provide some good PR for the general public that views these forums. I don't know what else to add. Molly has made some very good points above.

Got my fingers crossed,

Mac
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM

Smile No sticky yet, but...

Well, got a reply back from the Mod and was advised it may be premature to start a sticky for adoptions/rescues at this time. He may be right; only time will tell!
I will start an adoption thread ASAP and we will see where it goes!
Thanks to those of you who think it is a good idea!

Old 02-22-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Macleod just emailed me this link.
It is, by far, the coolest idea I have seen for promoting pet adoption.
You WILL laugh, you WILL get teary and you WILL want to share!

http://blog.petflow.com/if-this-does...now-what-will/
The cat @ the 1:30 mark be like...."WTMF you doin' girlfriend"