Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 PM

My decisions on how I raise my own kids are mine and are based on the values I feel are important. Anyone else’s opinions on my moral values or on how I raise my kids are likely irrelevant. I will refuse to go back on what I feel is right just because someone else thinks I am overprotective, not "with the times" or because someone else lets their kids do it. Most importantly, I refuse to back down on what I believe is right because they could just go and do it behind my back anyway, that is absurd.
If you are really on the fence, advice from people you know and respect can be great. Random opinions from strangers on a forum, especially opinions from those on this forum who don’t even have their own kids, are likely a waste of time...
Old 02-22-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I agree Roper.

All the guys that think this is appropriate for their 14 year old sons.

All good for your 14 your old daughter as well??
You betchya.

Every kid is different, and I wouldn't tell a parent how to raise their children- but to any folks here who may have the attitude that practicing leniency towards make believe graphic violence/sexuality means that a person is not doing their job as a parent...give your heads a good, hard shake. Then shake it again.

I have worked in schools and over heard 14-15 year old girls giving each other tips on very, very disturbing sex tactics. Innocent looking, straight-A students- not problem kids with absentee parents. It may or may not be "your" daughter actually involved in the acts, but at the very least you had better believe she's more exposed to those types of conversations than I am as an adult.

Being a hard ass on minor issues is a really fantastic way give yourself a false sense of security and ensure that your kids don't trust you with serious stuff.

Bottom line- there is no blanket right or wrong. Know your kids, where their level of maturity is at, and what they can and can't handle.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
We have about a dozen kids now
Looks like you didn't leave the wood with the Trees. Poor Mrs. Tree.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
My decisions on how I raise my own kids are mine and are based on the values I feel are important. Anyone else’s opinions on my moral values or on how I raise my kids are likely irrelevant. I will refuse to go back on what I feel is right just because someone else thinks I am overprotective, not "with the times" or because someone else lets their kids do it. Most importantly, I refuse to back down on what I believe is right because they could just go and do it behind my back anyway, that is absurd.
If you are really on the fence, advice from people you know and respect can be great. Random opinions from strangers on a forum, especially opinions from those on this forum who don’t even have their own kids, are likely a waste of time...
Best post on this thread.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM

94 posts later since original op posted, lets leave it on the last note and consider this thread exhausted.......
Closed Thread