Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Default 50 hp merc help

Bought a lund rebel ss 1650 last year. Thing ran great on the coast. The voltage regulator gave out on it so i replaced it. engine still ran good. It seems to be sluggish now. with 2 people it takes a while to get up to RPM, with 3 it won't get on plane at all. From what i've read max rpm should be 6000 rpm, i can barely get 5000 out of it now. It's got a 13 degree pitch prop on it, from what i could figure out with the mercury website it should have a 10 or 11. Ive changed all the plugs, fuel filter, leg oil and engine oil. The leg oil looked good and same with the engine. It doesnt run rough at all. I also just changed the primer ball and fuel line just incase they were gunked up. It is EFI so there is no carb to be plugged up. Is there a marine specific injector cleaner i should run through it? Should i change the prop even though it worked fine last summer on the coast? I have included a couple pics of what appears to be missing lines of some sort. The one looks like it should be sensing engine manifold pressure as compared to atmospheric pressure. The other looks like it could be used to sense atmospheric pressure vs fuel pressure? Any help with this would be great guys. I will have to take it out and GPS it but once im on plane i run around 25 mph but i have to be WOT. Me and my wife were cruising on the ocean at 30mph last summer at WOT.
Thanks for any input you can give. I wish it was a truck so i could just put a CAI on with with a set of headers and a programmer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0876.JPG (145.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0875.jpg (79.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0874.JPG (130.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0873.jpg (79.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-17-2012, 02:52 PM

I feel for you man. Not just because you are having issues but also there are a ton of lemons for the Merc 50 hp standard. I owned one as well. Worst motor ever. Mine had a part failure in what mixes the oil and gas. Too much oil, smoke, mess and I also had a power problem like you. Ended up turning it back into the dealer and upgraded to a Evinrude E-tec 75 hp. Never been happier. Running 4 years straight with no maintenance and tons of hours on it. Amazing thing. Will plane your boat in 20 feet...torque!!!

I knew of 2 others how had the stock 50 hp Merc and both had issues. One guy the exact same as me and the other just a fuel line problem. That is one bad track record IMHO. Merc does make great motors. I also sure there are stock 50 hp that work well. However, the track record I have seen speaks for that particular line - 4 lemons and counting.

Hope you get your issues resolved with it.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 PM

I wish i could put a 75 on it, but it says its only rated for a 60 hp. No one has been able to tell me exactly what would happen if i were to put a bigger engine on it. I'm moving to Quesnel, BC as soon as my house sells, and i cant wait to get it on on lakes like dragon, ten mile and more importantly quesnel and horsefly lake. The last two are BIG bodies of water and i want to cruise 60-80 km up the lake and set up camp on the edge of the water. The boat is all setup for salmon fishing with 2 scotty electric downriggers and i got the rods and stuff for deep trolling so i can hit the 40 lb lakers and 20 lb rainbows they say the lake holds, but in order to do that i need something that will get up and move and won't power out on me. I'd also like to be able to maybe have someone tube behind the boat in the summer and i know with the way it's running right now theres no chance of that.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 PM

I've owned several boats that had motors exceeding the Max Hp rating and never had any issues. My present boat is rated for 90 Hp but has a 115 Hp merc on it. It's been a great boat.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:40 PM
pelada trochu

did you make an altitude change?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
did you make an altitude change?
yup went from sea level to 2000 ft
Old 06-18-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_erickson View Post
I wish i could put a 75 on it, but it says its only rated for a 60 hp. No one has been able to tell me exactly what would happen if i were to put a bigger engine on it. I'm moving to Quesnel, BC as soon as my house sells, and i cant wait to get it on on lakes like dragon, ten mile and more importantly quesnel and horsefly lake. The last two are BIG bodies of water and i want to cruise 60-80 km up the lake and set up camp on the edge of the water. The boat is all setup for salmon fishing with 2 scotty electric downriggers and i got the rods and stuff for deep trolling so i can hit the 40 lb lakers and 20 lb rainbows they say the lake holds, but in order to do that i need something that will get up and move and won't power out on me. I'd also like to be able to maybe have someone tube behind the boat in the summer and i know with the way it's running right now theres no chance of that.
Gonna need a whole lot more motor & boat to see those speeds. I've got a 17ft with a 115 4stroke Yamy that will only do 48mph.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 AM

I have a 16 foot Smoker Craft Pro-angler 162 which is probably somewhere close to your boat. I have the 50 HP Mercury 4 stroke engine. Boat was purchased new 2 years ago so this is season #3 for it. When new it came with a 13 pitch prop. Max RPM was 5200. It would plane OK with 2 adults but with 3rd person on board it became very difficult. Went to a 10.5 pitch prop and Max RPM is now 5700-6000. Lost a bit on Top Speed but gets up on plane much better.
You are using your trim all the way down to get out of the hole correct? Once you start to come up to plane trim up until there are no rooster tails of water on either side of the engine.
Good Luck. Since I changed Prop I love my Merc.
Regards:
briangeorge
Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 AM

I had the same issue, had a 21 pitch on my boat, it was on the boat when I bought it. Great for cruising, but the hole shot was pretty poor. Went to the recommended 17 pitch, got the rpm's up and no problem getting on plane with a loaded boat. Lost 3 mph but well worth it.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Gonna need a whole lot more motor & boat to see those speeds. I've got a 17ft with a 115 4stroke Yamy that will only do 48mph.
I think he is talking about distance.

Even if he is talking about speed he should have no problem hitting 60km per hour with his set up.

In my under powered overloaded rig I can hit 28mph which is getting up to that 50km/hr. speed and he has probably a lighter rig with less gear and a bigger motor.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I think he is talking about distance.

Even if he is talking about speed he should have no problem hitting 60km per hour with his set up.

In my under powered overloaded rig I can hit 28mph which is getting up to that 50km/hr. speed and he has probably a lighter rig with less gear and a bigger motor.
lol ,you're right, that's what working nights does to a guy can't read properly,lol. Thanks for setting me straight.