Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2017, 03:53 AM

Default Nothing more frustrating

Went out to Lake Diefenbaker for a week to do some fishing. Outta the 7 days, was only able to make it out on the lake for 4 of the days. The other days were either too windy and/or raining, and had 2 good thunderstorms roll though the other days. When we were able to make it out, it seemed that the fish didn't feel like biting. We threw everything at them at different times of the day, but no takers. Used tons of different lures and different baits and still nothing. There's nothing worse than finding the fish on the finder, just to have them not even give you a nibble. I was thinking maybe we were doing something wrong, but i talked to some other guys as well and them said they were having a rough go of it as well.But, i must be a sucker for punishment because we're headed back at the end of July to try our luck again. Here's to hopin' ............
Old 06-29-2017, 06:44 AM

I grew up out there and heard it was/can be a tough a lake.

I know there are nice fish in there and some guys obviously do very good there though. Keep at it and you will figure her out better.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 AM

Heard it's been slow all over. Gonna start picking up in the next week.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
Went out to Lake Diefenbaker for a week to do some fishing. Outta the 7 days, was only able to make it out on the lake for 4 of the days. The other days were either too windy and/or raining, and had 2 good thunderstorms roll though the other days. When we were able to make it out, it seemed that the fish didn't feel like biting. We threw everything at them at different times of the day, but no takers. Used tons of different lures and different baits and still nothing. There's nothing worse than finding the fish on the finder, just to have them not even give you a nibble. I was thinking maybe we were doing something wrong, but i talked to some other guys as well and them said they were having a rough go of it as well.But, i must be a sucker for punishment because we're headed back at the end of July to try our luck again. Here's to hopin' ............
Think of it as a supreme challenge instead of frustrating! Fishing, despite all the obstacles one may face to having success, is after all, the ultimate relaxation and patience sport. It's not supposed to induce added stress, but rather remove it. You can't control the weather or the mood of the fish but you can definitely have a good peaceful time doing it which is what it should be all about! There was probably a presentation that would have worked on some of the fish there even when the appeared to have severe lock jaw, maybe you just didn't find what it was. Don't worry, I'd bet your next trip results will be a whole lot better and you will have a big chit eating grin on your face next time you post about Dief. Good luck, go slay em!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Heard it's been slow all over. Gonna start picking up in the next week.
Sure wasnt slow on Sunday I was at Lac ste Anne and two of us caught and released 36 walleye and 12 pike in under 4 hours. All the walleye were between 40 and 53 cm. Pike were all small. Guess if you've got the touch they bite lol
Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I fully agree with everything that's been said about the peacefulness of fishing and not being able to control the weather. There's nothing better in the world for me anyways than being out on the water at first light when there's no one around and seeing/hearing nature at it's best. Like the old saying goes" A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work".
Old 06-29-2017, 08:51 PM

Yup hang in there. Lotsa fish to be had in there for sure. By the sounds of things weather-wise, maybe had some cold front or low pressure systems which along with plenty of forage can make it seem like the dead sea on any lake. They might be right tight to shore in two feet of water. See that in Prarie lakes all the time. Good luck, you will be rewarded eventually and it will be that much sweeter.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
It can be tough for sure. What part of the lake were you fishing? I think they had been biting up in the north end the past few weeks (better in the evening).
Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 PM

We were fishing up in the middle/north end. The fish we located were in the north end just outside a bay, but it was a day or 2 after a super windy day/ thunderstorm that had churned up the water really bad. I'm thinking the weather is a big reason why nothing was biting that day, and we had to leave the next day which turned out to be a beautiful day. But we're heading back the end of July. If you've had a bad day fishing, there's always tomorrow ...............